Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The racist practice of mispronouncing names

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default The racist practice of mispronouncing names

Alright, for all you non racist folks, how do you go through life never mispronouncing a name?

The racist practice of mispronouncing names

You know when you're standing in line at a coffee shop, trying to figure out what to order? Your mind races. How much caffeine can I handle today? Should I get that overpriced bagel?

Many people with "unconventional" names experience a different kind of anxiety in this moment: figuring out what "safe" and "easy" name they should use that day.

Having a name butchered happens beyond coffee shops. This same anxiety peeks its head in the workplace, the classroom and many other aspects of life.

In this episode of RadioActive Youth Media, hosts Zuheera Ali and Keya Roy talk to author Ijeoma Oluo and each other about their experiences living in the United States with "difficult" names. They also talk to Rita Kohli, a professor at University of California, Riverside who has done research on the effects of mispronouncing names on students of color.

Spoiler: This practice of mispronouncing names isn't just embarrassing. It has a long and racist history.

https://kuow.org/stories/a-rose-by-a...ould-not-be-me

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

well tough fucking shit if you have a hard name to pronounce people can't just will themselves to say a hard tongue twister on demand for a name/word they are not familiar with.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

John Doe/ nobody actually uses that name

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Alright, for all you non racist folks, how do you go through life never mispronouncing a name?

You know when you're standing in line at a coffee shop, trying to figure out what to order? Your mind races. How much caffeine can I handle today? Should I get that overpriced bagel?

Many people with "unconventional" names experience a different kind of anxiety in this moment: figuring out what "safe" and "easy" name they should use that day.

Having a name butchered happens beyond coffee shops. This same anxiety peeks its head in the workplace, the classroom and many other aspects of life.

In this episode of RadioActive Youth Media, hosts Zuheera Ali and Keya Roy talk to author Ijeoma Oluo and each other about their experiences living in the United States with "difficult" names. They also talk to Rita Kohli, a professor at University of California, Riverside who has done research on the effects of mispronouncing names on students of color.

Spoiler: This practice of mispronouncing names isn't just embarrassing. It has a long and racist history.

You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Aimée (03-25-2019), cawacko (03-25-2019), Nomad (03-25-2019)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

One of my favorites

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One of my favorites
    Oh man you have no idea how close to home this is. Remember English is my wife's second language (actually her third) so we have a lot of conversations about the peculiarities of pronunciation, sytanx and grammar of the English language that confuse even native speakers. As this video so brilliantly displays.

Since I know a lot of ESL folk most of them miss-pronounce my name. I never felt it was racist or bigoted though. Just language cultural differences.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BillyShouldPostMore View Post
    well tough fucking shit if you have a hard name to pronounce people can't just will themselves to say a hard tongue twister on demand for a name/word they are not familiar with.
    Thanks for the insight Jee Rin Day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (03-25-2019)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Oh, wow. I didn't know that it was considered "racist" to mispronounce a name when hearing it for the first time. A lot of people mispronounce my first name when they see it written down. My maiden name? Forget about it! LOL! It doesn't bother me at all. Why should it?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

LOL! I love that video! A-A-Ron always cracks me up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-25-2019)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,617 Times in 11,612 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Total bullshit. Most people will mispronounce a name when reading it. Steve Harvey has trouble pronouncing some name correctly when reading them and he is far from being a racist.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,626 Times in 9,294 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Total bullshit. Most people will mispronounce a name when reading it. Steve Harvey has trouble pronouncing some name correctly when reading them and he is far from being a racist.
    I always pronounce Top as,Cum sucking skank!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

When I lived in the Northeast my last name would be mispronounced 99% of the time. Now that I live in the South it's pronounced correctly nearly every time. FWIW

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    When I lived in the Northeast my last name would be mispronounced 99% of the time. Now that I live in the South it's pronounced correctly nearly every time. FWIW
    When I told my father I was marrying a Filipino he asked if she could speak English? I said "She speaks it about like your average Southerner" to which Pops replied "That aint saying much". Ah Pops...he was such a crumudgeon.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

When I told my father I was marrying a Filipino he asked if she could speak English? I said "She speaks it about like your average Southerner" to which Pops replied "That aint saying much". Ah Pops...he was such a crumudgeon.
    My wife and I have a saying: "He/ she is speaking Southern".

"Might could..."
    "Sure don't..."

And our favorite: "Shitfire!" Two things that are bad, so why not combine them?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-25-2019)