Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people think America needs making great again?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Default Why do people think America needs making great again?

Before Trump (or somebody) thought up MAGA, I don't recall a lot of people going around saying: “Gee, I wish America was still great!"

There are problems with globalization and widening disparities of wealth, but America still has one of the highest GDPs per capita of any country - comfortably clear of Germany and Japan, and several times better off than Russia. In military terms it's stronger than all the rest put together. And even after two years of Trump, America is universally regarded as one of the freest countries on earth (unless you get shot, I guess).

So how is he planning to make it great again?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Cypress (03-21-2019), PoliTalker (03-22-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    Before Trump (or somebody) thought up MAGA, I don't recall a lot of people going around saying: “Gee, I wish America was still great!"

There are problems with globalization and widening disparities of wealth, but America still has one of the highest GDPs per capita of any country - comfortably clear of Germany and Japan, and several times better off than Russia. In military terms it's stronger than all the rest put together. And even after two years of Trump, America is universally regarded as one of the freest countries on earth (unless you get shot, I guess).

That stupid cliche has never made any sense to me, particularly how the Trumpanzee herd latched on to it like Gollum and his preciousssss ring. After all, as a leftie yourself, how many times in the last few decades have *you* been told you hate America when you've criticized some not-so-great aspect of our country? But all of a sudden it's cool to claim that it needs to be made great again.... because a faux conservative put it on a [made-in-China] hat and made it a campaign slogan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (03-21-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Bill Clinton wanted to "make America great again."

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c46007...ca-great-again

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,570 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post

So when did Trump admit he stole it from Bill? I must have missed that.
    Actually, Bill said it , but it was not his driving theme like it is daffy's.
    Not the same thing at all.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I didn't say it was his main theme, I just said he wanted to make America Great Again. I think it has been used several times in the past--I doubt any of them admitted they stole it from someone else.

Of course, it has not been used as often as "take Americal back again," "change," or other often used cliches.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,288 Times in 27,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Why do people think America needs making great again?
    MAGA is code for putting white people back in charge, after the Black Pan-African Nationalist Kenyan-Marxist dystopian hellscape Barack and Michelle Obama put us through.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Aimée (03-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2019)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

If you don't want to know the answer don't ask the question. The simplest method to make the US great again? Keep the social fascist democrats powerless. You know by taking control of the executive branch, the judicial branch, and the portion of the house that actually ratifies law....the senate.

The US....used to lead the world in quality of life....now it ranks 13th. The US ranks 49th in life expectancy....and 178th in infant mortality (this in spite all the left wing FREE SHIT and abortion on demand). One thing the US leads the world in.....is SPENDING ON PUBLIC EDUCATION.....but its sad that the US ranks 25th in the quality of education received (where the hell is the money going?)

The US is 7th with its population being "LITERATE"....having the ability to read the daily newspaper after having received a high school degree. 27th in math, 22nd in science....yada, yada, yada,

The US ranks 13th in the world in allowing small business start ups....thanks to the smothering left wing regulations that punish the wage payers. Freedom of the press? Really?
    Free from corruption? The US ranks 21st among the world nations with the least amount of corruption. During the Obama years.....the US GDP (growth) ranked 169th in the world.

FYI: There is a list of what the US does lead the world in...……

1. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita. 2. Spending on things like education, welfare for non-citizens, and national defense (as the US has become the world's police force).

Looks like Jeff Daniels is popular.
    Last edited by Ralph; 03-21-2019 at 08:49 PM.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,570 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    If you don't want to know the answer don't ask the question. The simplest method to make the US great again? Keep the social fascist democrats powerless. You know by taking control of the executive branch, the judicial branch, and the portion of the house that actually ratifies law....the senate.

The US....used to lead the world in quality of life....now it ranks 13th. The US ranks 49th in life expectancy....and 178th in infant mortality (this in spite all the left wing FREE SHIT and abortion on demand). One thing the US leads the world in.....is SPENDING ON PUBLIC EDUCATION.....but its sad that the US ranks 25th in the quality of education received (where the hell is the money going?)

The US is 7th with its population being "LITERATE"....having the ability to read the daily newspaper after having received a high school degree. 27th in math, 22nd in science....yada, yada, yada,

The US ranks 13th in the world in allowing small business start ups....thanks to the smothering left wing regulations that punish the wage payers. Freedom of the press? Really?
    Free from corruption? The US ranks 21st among the world nations with the least amount of corruption. During the Obama years.....the US GDP (growth) ranked 169th in the world.

FYI: There is a list of what the US does lead the world in...……

1. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita. 2. Spending on things like education, welfare for non-citizens, and national defense (as the US has become the world's police force).

Looks like Jeff Daniels is popular.
    So you understand corporate abuse is rampant in America since we finalized the oligopoly.
    Our crappy health care is a product of the lobbying and financial power of health care companies and insurance companies. Good, that is the problem.
    Of course, you know the incarceration rate and expense is a product of making for-profit prisons. Keeping jails full makes for-profit prisons a lot of money. How many billions do we waste on jailing, judging and imprisoning people for things like weed?
    When I was growing up, American schools were the envy of the world. But teachers have unions and there is no way the wealthy who run the country are tolerating that. So they started to wreck the system and demonize teachers. They are succeeding in both, while making huge profits off delivering crappy education.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post

Clinton also asked for prayers and referenced God. Where are all the lefties that are up in arms when someone on the right does the same thing?

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh, the typical it's different excuse?

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you understand corporate abuse is rampant in America since we finalized the oligopoly.
    Our crappy health care is a product of the lobbying and financial power of health care companies and insurance companies. Good, that is the problem.
    Of course, you know the incarceration rate and expense is a product of making for-profit prisons. Keeping jails full makes for-profit prisons a lot of money. How many billions do we waste on jailing, judging and imprisoning people for things like weed?
    When I was growing up, American schools were the envy of the world. But teachers have unions and there is no way the wealthy who run the country are tolerating that. So they started to wreck the system and demonize teachers. They are succeeding in both, while making huge profits off delivering crappy education.
    My healthcare and coverage is perfectly fine. If yours isn't, tough shit. I don't give a fuck about you and yours.

There's an easy way to lower the incarceration rate and the government doesn't have to do a damn thing. People that commit crimes could stop doing so and you'd quickly see that rate drop. You can't keep jails full if people choose not to break the law.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Tranquillus in Exile,

President Trump has never defined what he meant my MAGA.

He purposely left it wide open so his fans could see what they want to see in the statement.

And there is no way to measure whether he has followed through on his slogan.

Personally, I believe he has trashed and looted the nation for his own personal advancement.

Which is pretty stupid because he was already so rich he could have anything he wanted.

But when you realize he was only running for the publicity, and that he messed up and actually got elected, it makes a lot of sense.

He's got so many dirty deals going on, he should have just stayed out of scrutiny.

Now he messed up and has investigators looking into everything he ever did. (Sure is keeping them busy.)

He should have left well enough alone, but he messed up and got elected.

Looks like his mouth wrote some checks his ego can't cash.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (03-22-2019)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,821 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 610 Times in 560 Posts

22 trillion dollars of national debt. A near totally trashed Constitution, China ripping off America. NATO allies not paying their fair share of NATO dues, Over-regulation, Highest Corporate tax on the planet. Millions on food stamps Very high black & Hispanic unemployment. A stupid deal with Iran. A stupid membership in the Paris Accord. Borders that were going unprotected.

But never fear The Donald is working on it and has half of it fixed already, much to the chagrin of lefty America haters.
    "Government is force by definition and corruption by nature. The bigger the government, the greater the force and the greater the corruption."

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Because it elected trumpf?

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Obama made a career of informing the world the US was unexceptional.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.