Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KY governor Bevin INTENTIONALLY made sure his 9 kids got chicken pox

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can remember people intentionally infecting their kids.....had it when I was a kid......got my shingles shot......now they say I need another one because the old one is not totally effective.......shot is much better than shingles......dad had it before he passed away.....said it was the worst thing he ever had to deal with........

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Stretch (03-21-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Technically you don't catch shingles; once you've had chickenpox the virus lives forever in your body. Sometimes something reactivates it and that's what causes shingles. You're right; it's horrible. My oldest brother got it when he was 65, on his face. He had to continue seeing an eye doc for a year to make sure that it hadn't damaged his eye on that side.
    It's still fairly common practice for a lot families that if 1 kid gets it, try to have the siblings get it all at the same time to get it over with while they're young.
    I was 44 when I got it. I was fortunate that it didn't get inside my ears (or worse). I spent a lot of time soaking in the tub full of water and rolled oats (about 6 canisters a day! LOL). Then Benedryl and calamine lotion at night. It all cleared up within a week. Not fun
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Aimée (03-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2019)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

not sure how old Bevins' 9 kids are, but the vaccine hasn't been around all that long......

History

The Varicella zoster vaccine is made from the Oka/Merck strain of live attenuated varicella virus. The virus was initially obtained from a child with natural varicella, introduced into human embryonic lung cell cultures, adapted to and propagated in embryonic guinea pig cell cultures, and finally propagated in human diploid cell cultures.[43]

Japan was among the first countries to vaccinate for chickenpox. The vaccine was first licensed in the United States in 1995.[44] Routine vaccination against varicella zoster virus is also performed in the United States, and the incidence of chickenpox has been dramatically reduced there (from 4 million cases per year in the pre-vaccine era to approximately 400,000 cases per year as of 2005). In Europe most countries do not currently vaccinate against varicella, though the vaccine is gaining wider acceptance. Australia, Canada, and other countries have adopted recommendations for routine immunization of children and susceptible adults against chickenpox.

Other countries, such as the United Kingdom, have targeted recommendations for the vaccine, e.g., for susceptible health care workers at risk of varicella exposure. In the UK, varicella antibodies are measured as part of the routine of prenatal care, and by 2005 all National Health Service personnel had determined their immunity and been immunized if they were non-immune and have direct patient contact. Population-based immunization against varicella is not otherwise practised in the UK. ~ wiki

well whatever, Bevins has been screwing those poor Kentuckians since taking office......refused medicaid the feds offered for example, a total tea party style right wing crook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2019)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    It's still fairly common practice for a lot families that if 1 kid gets it, try to have the siblings get it all at the same time to get it over with while they're young.
    I was 44 when I got it. I was fortunate that it didn't get inside my ears (or worse). I spent a lot of time soaking in the tub full of water and rolled oats (about 6 canisters a day! LOL). Then Benedryl and calamine lotion at night. It all cleared up within a week. Not fun
    OMG 44?? That's horrible. I hope you didn't have any scarring or other lasting effects. My daughter does have some scarring, unfortunately. She could hardly eat or drink; she even had them in her throat and other places we shouldn't discuss on a nice wholesome family site like this one. ;~) She was SOOOO sick. We did the oatmeal baths, calamine, benadryl cream, benadryl orally as well just so that she could sleep a bit.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (03-21-2019), Stretch (03-21-2019)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

intentional infection is the poor man's vaccine......

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    OMG 44?? That's horrible. I hope you didn't have any scarring or other lasting effects. My daughter does have some scarring, unfortunately. She could hardly eat or drink; she even had them in her throat and other places we shouldn't discuss on a nice wholesome family site like this one. ;~) She was SOOOO sick. We did the oatmeal baths, calamine, benadryl cream, benadryl orally as well just so that she could sleep a bit.
    Yes. I didn't want to mention "it" either. I can empathize with your daughter. I'll never forget it. One second I was fine. Then BAM! I felt like I was hit by a truck and wanted to lie down to sleep. I thought I maybe just got hit with a flu bug. I woke up a few hours later and saw a few red spots on my arms, then I saw some on my face. It was just this extreme fatigue. I asked a neighbor to come over and hopefully tell me what the heck was going on. She took one look and said, "Well guess what? You've got chicken pox". She was a grandmother and knew the drill. She was so sweet, went to the store and brought back a case of Quaker Oats, calamine lotion, Benedryl...that was that.
    I haven't even thought about the Shingles vaccine. Guess I had better get it.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Aimée (03-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2019)

12. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

I had the shingles 2 years ago. One of the worst experiences of my life. Your skin is so damn sensitive and painful that everything makes it hurt. EVERYTHING. It's like a slow burning fire creeping across your skin.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gotcha68 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2019)

14. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Oh, my gosh! That must have been miserable! I was lucky enough to have gotten it when I was 12. It went through the house like wildfire. One sister got them down her throat. We had to watch her for any changes in her breathing. That poor kid was miserable.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Stretch (03-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2019)

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    I had the shingles 2 years ago. One of the worst experiences of my life. Your skin is so damn sensitive and painful that everything makes it hurt. EVERYTHING. It's like a slow burning fire creeping across your skin.
    Most people describe it the same way. Did you get an antiviral? If so, did it help?

I'm gonna talk to my doc on my next scheduled scolding and see if she thinks I should get the vax.

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm definitely asking my doc about it as well.
    Here's a little info I just found. Looks there are 2 vaccines to choose from now............

People looking to receive the shingles vaccine now have two options. The Food and Drug Administration in 2017 approved Shingrix. It's the preferred alternative to Zostavax, which was approved in 2006. Both vaccines are approved for adults age 50 and older for the prevention of shingles and related complications, whether they've already had shingles or not. You may get the Shingrix vaccine even if you've already had shingles. Also, consider getting the Shingrix vaccine if you've had the Zostavax vaccine or if you don't know whether you've had chickenpox.

Zostavax is a live vaccine given as a single injection, usually in the upper arm. Shingrix is a nonliving vaccine made of a virus component. It's given in two doses, with two to six months between doses. The most common side effects of either shingles vaccine are redness, pain, tenderness, swelling and itching at the injection site, and headaches.

Some people report a chickenpox-like rash after getting the shingles vaccine.

Although some people will develop shingles despite vaccination, the vaccine may reduce the severity and duration of it.

Talk to your doctor about your vaccination options if you:

Have ever had an allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin or any other component of the shingles vaccine
    Have a weakened immune system due to HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system
    Are receiving immune system-suppressing drugs or treatments, such as steroids, adalimumab (Humira), infliximab (Remicade), etanercept (Enbrel), radiation or chemotherapy
    Have cancer that affects the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma
    Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant

Zostavax has been shown to offer protection against shingles for about five years. Although Zostavax is approved for people age 50 and older, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that Zostavax be given at age 60, when the risk of shingles and its complications is highest.

Studies suggest protection against shingles with Shingrix may extend beyond five years. Shingrix is approved and recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for people age 50 and older, including those who've previously received Zostavax.

The cost of the shingles vaccine may not be covered by Medicare, Medicaid or insurance. Check your plan.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20057859
    pain in abortion.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Aimée (03-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm definitely asking my doc about it as well.
    Here's a little info I just found. Looks there are 2 vaccines to choose from now............

People looking to receive the shingles vaccine now have two options. The Food and Drug Administration in 2017 approved Shingrix. It's the preferred alternative to Zostavax, which was approved in 2006. Both vaccines are approved for adults age 50 and older for the prevention of shingles and related complications, whether they've already had shingles or not. You may get the Shingrix vaccine even if you've already had shingles. Also, consider getting the Shingrix vaccine if you've had the Zostavax vaccine or if you don't know whether you've had chickenpox.

Zostavax is a live vaccine given as a single injection, usually in the upper arm. Shingrix is a nonliving vaccine made of a virus component. It's given in two doses, with two to six months between doses. The most common side effects of either shingles vaccine are redness, pain, tenderness, swelling and itching at the injection site, and headaches.

Some people report a chickenpox-like rash after getting the shingles vaccine.

Although some people will develop shingles despite vaccination, the vaccine may reduce the severity and duration of it.

Talk to your doctor about your vaccination options if you:

Have ever had an allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin or any other component of the shingles vaccine
    Have a weakened immune system due to HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system
    Are receiving immune system-suppressing drugs or treatments, such as steroids, adalimumab (Humira), infliximab (Remicade), etanercept (Enbrel), radiation or chemotherapy
    Have cancer that affects the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma
    Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant

Zostavax has been shown to offer protection against shingles for about five years. Although Zostavax is approved for people age 50 and older, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that Zostavax be given at age 60, when the risk of shingles and its complications is highest.

Studies suggest protection against shingles with Shingrix may extend beyond five years. Shingrix is approved and recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for people age 50 and older, including those who've previously received Zostavax.

The cost of the shingles vaccine may not be covered by Medicare, Medicaid or insurance. Check your plan.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20057859
    Thank you very much; good info. Didn't know about the problems with allergy to neomycin. I'm allergic to all the ABTs in the -mycin family. You might have just spared me a bad event!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (03-22-2019), Stretch (03-22-2019)

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
    shingles is like a roll of the dice few catch it , if you do it's hell for a good time . just prey you don't get it !!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    I did get it and that's when I found out it came from CHICKENPOX a couple of decades before advertising on TV and google. I was in my late 30's and assume my immune system was still in pretty good shape. And it is miserable but you don't die. As you get older, you do not fend it off as well and I can't imagine going through that older.

CHICKENPOX exposure to PREGNANCY, particularly after about 16-20 weeks can be DANGEROUS! Let's hope all the women at 'BEVIN'S' CHICKENPOX PARTY weren't pregnant! Or their teachers or their Sunday school teachers or their schoolbus drivers or the women at WalMart or McDonalds or or or or...
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)

23. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Absolutely, you hoped they did, as you all lived in the same house. You didn't try and spread it to the neighbors!!

PS And if there is a baby in the house, keep them away from the others.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Stretch (03-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)

25. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    That was the norm when I was growing up. Get it when you're young, or it's a bitch when you're older. Vaccine is interesting. I wonder if it prevents shingles later in life?
    The OP speaks from a place of ignorance

1) getting the chicken pox provides a higher level of immunity than getting the varicella vaccine

2) as you said, it was very common for parents to seek out neighbors who had chickenpox to expose their children and “get it out of the way”

3) It is unknown whether the varicella vaccine will prevent shingles later in life. We don’t have the longitudinal data and won’t for years. The varicella vaccine wasn’t commercially available until 1985 and didn’t make the guidelines until 1995. You are likely going to have to wait another 20-30 years to obtain any data. With that said I suspect it won’t offer any protection from shingles as shingles is a reactivation or the virus and the vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine

4) in children chickenpox is a pretty mild self limiting disease and while there can be severe complications they are extremely rare

The OP speaks from ignorance. But, I am sure Big Pharma loves all of the money they get by lobbying Big Gobblement to mandate vaccines people wouldn’t otherwise get.

26. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A little more info for those like myself who wasn't sure of the different mycin drugs. Tetracycline is the only one I remember vividly because I had a horrible reaction to it about 30 years ago.

Although there are well over 100 antibiotics, the majority come from only a few types of drugs. These are the main classes of antibiotics.

Penicillins such as penicillin and amoxicillin
    Cephalosporins such as cephalexin (Keflex)
    Macrolides such as erythromycin (E-Mycin), clarithromycin (Biaxin), and azithromycin (Zithromax)
    Fluoroquinolones such as ciprofolxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), and ofloxacin (Floxin)
    Sulfonamides such as co-trimoxazole (Bactrim) and trimethoprim (Proloprim)
    Tetracyclines such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Panmycin) and doxycycline (Vibramycin)
    Aminoglycosides such as gentamicin (Garamycin) and tobramycin (Tobrex)

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/anti...of_antibiotics
    pain in abortion.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)