Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KY governor Bevin INTENTIONALLY made sure his 9 kids got chicken pox

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    bottom line is you don't get shingles if you've never had chicken pox, right?

plus some people die from the disease

Bevin is one fucked up hick, CPS should take those 9 kids away while they're still halfway healthy
    You do not get shingles if you have never had chicken pox

However since the varicella vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine it may not confer protection against shingles. We won’t know for decades as we don’t have the longitudinal epidemiological evidence yet

There is nothing wrong with what Bevan did. You speak from ignorance.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    A little more info for those like myself who wasn't sure of the different mycin drugs. Tetracycline is the only one I remember vividly because I had a horrible reaction to it about 30 years ago.

Although there are well over 100 antibiotics, the majority come from only a few types of drugs. These are the main classes of antibiotics.

Penicillins such as penicillin and amoxicillin
    Cephalosporins such as cephalexin (Keflex)
    Macrolides such as erythromycin (E-Mycin), clarithromycin (Biaxin), and azithromycin (Zithromax)
    Fluoroquinolones such as ciprofolxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), and ofloxacin (Floxin)
    Sulfonamides such as co-trimoxazole (Bactrim) and trimethoprim (Proloprim)
    Tetracyclines such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Panmycin) and doxycycline (Vibramycin)
    Aminoglycosides such as gentamicin (Garamycin) and tobramycin (Tobrex)

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/anti...of_antibiotics
    You are missing quite a few additionally many of these are divided into their own sub classes

But that’s OK.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So how many of you folks whining about Bevans have gotten Zostavax?

It is a shingles vaccine that may or may not be covered by insurance.

Now that you are aware of it; will you run out and get it? If you don’t, does that make you an anti vaxxer?

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

I knew one guy, when he was just a small child, who caught the chickenpox along with a strep throat that complicated him into having a dangerous heart condition for the rest of his life and one of his eyes has no muscle control and he was also wall-eyed for the rest of his life. He's 60 now and has already had a stroke and a heart attack that almost killed him.

If Chicken Pox is complicated with other common illnesses and diseases, it can be deadly, dangerous, and disfiguring!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Aimée (03-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    I knew one guy, when he was just a small child, who caught the chickenpox along with a strep throat that complicated him having a dangerous heart condition for the rest of his life and one of his eyes has no muscle control and he was also wall-eyed for the rest of his life. He's 60 now and has already had a stroke and a heart attack that almost killed him.

If Chicken Pox is complicated with other diseases, it can be deadly, dangerous, and disfiguring!
    A lot of what you described are unrelated events. While some cases are severe; in general it is a self limiting disease

Of all available vaccines, skipping the varicella vaccine for kids is not that big a deal

My question remains. Will you be getting Zostavax? It is a vaccine for shingles.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    You are missing quite a few additionally many of these are divided into their own sub classes

But that’s OK.
    Yes. There are more, but it does say at the beginning "Although there are well over 100 antibiotics, the majority come from only a few types of drugs."
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

So how many of you folks whining about Bevans have gotten Zostavax?

It is a shingles vaccine that may or may not be covered by insurance.

Now that you are aware of it; will you run out and get it? If you don’t, does that make you an anti vaxxer?
    I'll be checking with my Doc.
    Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

A lot of what you described are unrelated events. While some cases are severe; in general it is a self limiting disease

Of all available vaccines, skipping the varicella vaccine for kids is not that big a deal

My question remains. Will you be getting Zostavax? It is a vaccine for shingles.
    I doubt it. I didn't get the Pneumonia vaccine either.

But, at least I understand the vaccination of children thing and it's importance in trying to eliminate these childhood diseases.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes. There are more, but it does say at the beginning "Although there are well over 100 antibiotics, the majority come from only a few types of drugs."
    That is a bit misleading. If they are saying that they are the most commonly prescribed that would be accurate.

Additionally there are only very few mechanisms with which you can impact bacteria. It is a very complex interaction.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    I doubt it. I didn't get the Pneumonia vaccine either.

But, at least I understand the vaccination of children thing and it's importance in trying to eliminate these childhood diseases.
    Then you don’t really understand the purpose of vaccination

It’s primary goal is to keep YOU from getting ill. Herd immunity is a secondary impact

You are no better than those who don’t vaccinate their children.

If you are over 65 and have not received the pneumococcal vaccine you are stupid. Why wouldn’t you? Most insurance plans cover it. Pneumonia is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in the elderly.

It is hilarious that you condemn the governor for not getting his children the varicella vaccine when you won’t even get the same vaccine for yourself

Why won’t you get vaccinated? Are you an anti vaxxer? Are you afraid of getting autism?

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

The OP speaks from a place of ignorance

1) getting the chicken pox provides a higher level of immunity than getting the varicella vaccine

2) as you said, it was very common for parents to seek out neighbors who had chickenpox to expose their children and “get it out of the way”

3) It is unknown whether the varicella vaccine will prevent shingles later in life. We don’t have the longitudinal data and won’t for years. The varicella vaccine wasn’t commercially available until 1985 and didn’t make the guidelines until 1995. You are likely going to have to wait another 20-30 years to obtain any data. With that said I suspect it won’t offer any protection from shingles as shingles is a reactivation or the virus and the vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine

4) in children chickenpox is a pretty mild self limiting disease and while there can be severe complications they are extremely rare

The OP speaks from ignorance. But, I am sure Big Pharma loves all of the money they get by lobbying Big Gobblement to mandate vaccines people wouldn’t otherwise get.
    Carefully 'carved' around the exceptions I MENTIONED didn't you? Take it up with the CDC. Unless it is warning us out of 'an abundance of caution' to babies, pregnant women, and people with compromised immune systems and none of these are dangerous or deadly or 'cautionary'. As for the SHINGLES don't twist my post.

Bottom line: Get the fucking vaccine!

Complications

Complications from chickenpox can occur, but they are not common in healthy people who get the disease.
    People who may get a serious case of chickenpox and may be at high risk for complications include:

• Infants
    • Adolescents
    • Adults
    • Pregnant women
    • People with weakened immune systems because of illness or medications, for example,
      • People with HIV/AIDS or cancer
      • Patients who have had transplants, and
      • People on chemotherapy, immunosuppressive medications, or long-term use of steroids.

Serious complications from chickenpox include:

• Bacterial infections of the skin and soft tissues in children, including Group A streptococcal infections
    • Infection of the lungs (pneumonia)
    • Infection or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis, cerebellar ataxia)
    • Bleeding problems (hemorrhagic complications)
    • Bloodstream infections (sepsis)
    • Dehydration

Some people with serious complications from chickenpox can become so sick that they need to be hospitalized. Chickenpox can also cause death.
    Deaths are very rare now due to the vaccine program. However, some deaths from chickenpox continue to occur in healthy, unvaccinated children and adults. In the past, many of the healthy adults who died from chickenpox contracted the disease from their unvaccinated children.

WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Aimée (03-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    That was the norm when I was growing up. Get it when you're young, or it's a bitch when you're older. Vaccine is interesting. I wonder if it prevents shingles later in life?
    Later in life, you get a SHINGLES shot. They are even offered at the drugstores now.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-22-2019)

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    That was the norm when I was growing up. Get it when you're young, or it's a bitch when you're older. Vaccine is interesting. I wonder if it prevents shingles later in life?
    There is a separate vaccine for shingles, but insurance won't pay for it until age 50, I believe.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Althea (03-22-2019)

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
    shingles is like a roll of the dice few catch it , if you do it's hell for a good time . just prey you don't get it !!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    One in three people is "few"?
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r080515.htm

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,401 Times in 53,278 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

A little more info for those like myself who wasn't sure of the different mycin drugs. Tetracycline is the only one I remember vividly because I had a horrible reaction to it about 30 years ago.

Although there are well over 100 antibiotics, the majority come from only a few types of drugs. These are the main classes of antibiotics.

Penicillins such as penicillin and amoxicillin
    Cephalosporins such as cephalexin (Keflex)
    Macrolides such as erythromycin (E-Mycin), clarithromycin (Biaxin), and azithromycin (Zithromax)
    Fluoroquinolones such as ciprofolxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), and ofloxacin (Floxin)
    Sulfonamides such as co-trimoxazole (Bactrim) and trimethoprim (Proloprim)
    Tetracyclines such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Panmycin) and doxycycline (Vibramycin)
    Aminoglycosides such as gentamicin (Garamycin) and tobramycin (Tobrex)

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/anti...of_antibiotics
    Erythromycin is my kryptonite. A careful pharmacist a couple years ago saved my bacon. Doc had prescribe Z-Pak (azithromycin) for a sinus infection. Went to the pharmacy to pick it up; had to come back because the pharmacist had caught my allergy to E-mycin and called the doc for a different script. 14 years ago, my husband's doc prescribed the same thing for an upper respiratory infection. He took the first dose shortly before bedtime. Woke up an hour later gasping for breath. I called 911. By the time they got him to the ER he was in full respiratory arrest. The drug-addicted (we found out later) ER doc on duty didn't get an airway established for 50 minutes. By then he was also in cardiac arrest, and then he died.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Stretch (03-22-2019)