1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    different pole
    Same thing is happening at the other one.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,610 Times in 9,135 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default Starved polar bear perished due to record sea-ice melt, says expert

Climate change has reduced ice in the Arctic to record lows in the past year, forcing animals to range further in search of food

A starved polar bear found found dead in Svalbard as "little more than skin and bones" perished due to a lack of sea ice on which to hunt seals, according to a renowned polar bear expert.

Climate change has reduced sea ice in the Arctic to record lows in the last year and Dr Ian Stirling, who has studied the bears for almost 40 years and examined the animal, said the lack of ice forced the bear into ranging far and wide in an ultimately unsuccessful search for food.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-sea-ice-melt

3. The Following User Groans At signalmankenneth For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-22-2019)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Lung-Li-Chiao View Post
    I looked through numerous things behind her, the book, who published it, you name it. Her accreditation is not up to snuff. Funny how her science was about it declining, up until her Heartland institute checks started rolling in.

This part bugs me more then anything.
    LMAO... her accreditation is not up to snuff? Says who? YOU? ROFLMAO.

Funny how she makes her determinations based on the DATA. They were declining, then after the hunting bans began rebounding, despite the global warming fear mongering religious nuts shouts to the contrary.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Climate change has reduced ice in the Arctic to record lows in the past year, forcing animals to range further in search of food

A starved polar bear found found dead in Svalbard as "little more than skin and bones" perished due to a lack of sea ice on which to hunt seals, according to a renowned polar bear expert.

Climate change has reduced sea ice in the Arctic to record lows in the last year and Dr Ian Stirling, who has studied the bears for almost 40 years and examined the animal, said the lack of ice forced the bear into ranging far and wide in an ultimately unsuccessful search for food.

Yes, like all species, there are those that don't learn survival skills. There are those that will starve unless others help them to survive.

Finding one that sucks at hunting and taking its photo does not alter the data on the population as a whole. That is like going to Africa and seeing the mud huts in which some people live and declaring that humans all still live in mud huts.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You are not a scientist, your are not a polar bear expert, you are not a field biologist, and you are not a researcher.

So you opinion is meaningless. Undoubtedly, you simply read a few paragraphs from a blog or an article and rushed back here to parrot it. I seriously doubt you have any of your own original, independent ideas, thoughts, or insights on polar bears.

Playing armchair expert on a message board does not cut the mustard with me.

I at least have the forthrightness to admit ignorance: it would take years of training and education as a field biologist for me to have a valid opinion on polar bears, an opinion worth listening to, let alone coming to an anonymous message board to lecture others about them.

There is a whole body of scientific literature about polar bears that would take a graduate school career to read and digest. What I do know is that the arctic is one of the most hostile environments on earth and it is no simple matter to conduct a census of polar bears - let alone to account for ephemeral temporal, seasonal, and ecological variation at multi-year scales.
    And I do know from the experts that there are maybe a couple dozen subpopulations of polar bears, each with unique ecological and habitat requirements. So simply talking collectively about "polar bears" as a monolithic genus of animals in the context of climate does not cut the mustard.

I would be delighted if it were determined that polar bears are going great, and that there is no risk to their habitat and their future due to humans and human-induced climate change. But I think every sentient being knows that is wishful thinking. The threats and the risk to polar bears are real, and will probably continue over the long term if we continue to ignore climate change. I for one, am willing to defer to continued research by the experts. The opinion of obscure message board posters who have no expertise to speak on the matter means nothing to me.
    Hey leg humping stalker and abuser of women... you should read the first two paragraphs you wrote. That is projection at its finest. It is you 100% of the time.

As far as talking about the bears collectively, that is truly fucking hilarious... because that is what YOU and the other parrots do every time some photographer takes a photo of a bear that didn't learn to hunt... you know... the Democrat of polar bears... the one who thinks everyone else should provide for him/her.

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Thanks to some of Obama's environmental policies, the ice has stabilized. However, much of it has melted, and that's why the number of polar bears has gone up.
    ROFLMAO... who the fuck told you that line of bullshit? By all means, link us up to that article or data set.

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Stupid evil liar lying again

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/wo...-change/SeaIce

Just read
    psst... try reading your own link. Over the past ten years it has increased. It shows it in the chart.

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    ROFLMAO... who the fuck told you that line of bullshit? By all means, link us up to that article or data set.
    ROFLMAO!

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...ne-environment

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    LOL... seriously? Please tell us which of these helped stabilize the arctic. Try to use your words to explain how that happened.

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, like all species, there are those that don't learn survival skills. There are those that will starve unless others help them to survive.

Finding one that sucks at hunting and taking its photo does not alter the data on the population as a whole. That is like going to Africa and seeing the mud huts in which some people live and declaring that humans all still live in mud huts.
    Are you talking about Polar bears or Progressives?......hehehehehe.......

12. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Did not read a single word.

Let me make this crystal clear to you. I have not read your posts or responded to you in a decade.

On the other hand, you clearly make it a point to find my posts, think about me, read my contributions, write to me, in the hopes I will read and respond.

My writing must obviously be extremely interesting to you.

I would think a normal person would get humiliated after years to trying in vain to get someone’s attention.

Your obsession with me, your petty grudges, your imaginary grievances are inconsequential to me, have nothing to do with me, and beyond even considering.

So get this through your skull – I am never going to read your posts are respond to you. Whether I am here for another six months, or another six years.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...33#post2395033

13. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-22-2019)

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 11,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    After seeing some of those Russian Babushka's crossbreeding cannot be ruled out.........

Are you suggesting the Russians are turning the Beluga whale into a whale version of an Orc? What's THAT going to do to Russian caviar??

15. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are not a scientist,
    You have no idea what my credentials are.
    your are not a polar bear expert, you are not a field biologist, and you are not a researcher.
    Not claiming to be. I am only reporting census counts made by Canada and the United States.
    So you opinion is meaningless.
    Not my opinion. It is the opinion of the census takers.
    Undoubtedly, you simply read a few paragraphs from a blog or an article and rushed back here to parrot it.
    Those articles are the United States government and the Canadian government. Now if you don't to believe them, that's your business.
    I seriously doubt you have any of your own original, independent ideas, thoughts, or insights on polar bears.
    Never claimed to.
    Playing armchair expert on a message board does not cut the mustard with me.
    Then you must be out of mustard.
    I at least have the forthrightness to admit ignorance:
    So you are completely ignorant on polar bears or their populations. Okay. I'll take that as a given.
    it would take years of training and education as a field biologist for me to have a valid opinion on polar bears, an opinion worth listening to, let alone coming to an anonymous message board to lecture others about them.
    So the Inuit are terrible sources about polar bear behavior, eh?
    There is a whole body of scientific literature
    Science isn't literature. There is no such thing as 'scientific' literature. Science is a set of theories.
    What I do know is that the arctic is one of the most hostile environments on earth
    Maybe to you and me, but what about the polar bear and the beluga whale? They seem to prefer the Arctic.
    and it is no simple matter to conduct a census of polar bears
    - let alone to account for ephemeral temporal, seasonal, and ecological variation at multi-year scales.
    Agreed. That's why we don't have a very good count of them. You just agree with me on that point.
    And I do know from the experts that there are maybe a couple dozen subpopulations of polar bears, each with unique ecological and habitat requirements.
    Wait...whut? You JUST SAID you are ignorant about polar bear populations!
    So simply talking collectively about "polar bears" as a monolithic genus of animals in the context of climate does not cut the mustard.
    Which is exactly what YOU are doing. Guess your mustard knife is dull.
    I would be delighted if it were determined that polar bears are going great, and that there is no risk to their habitat and their future due to humans and human-induced climate change. But I think every sentient being knows that is wishful thinking.
    Never said the polar bear was not a risk anywhere. As you said, the Arctic is a harsh environment.
    The threats and the risk to polar bears are real, and will probably continue over the long term if we continue to ignore climate change.
    What 'climate change'? Define 'climate change. The only risks I see to the polar bears is people poaching them.
    I for one, am willing to defer to continued research by the experts.
    So, the Inuit aren't good enough for ya, huh?
    The opinion of obscure message board posters who have no expertise to speak on the matter means nothing to me.
    Okay. Since your own opinion has no meaning to you, it has no meaning to me either. You've already claimed that you have no expertise.

Go get some mustard and a better knife.

16. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...tica-freezing/

Deep Bore Into Antarctica Finds Freezing Ice, Not Melting as Expected
    Scientists will leave sensors in the hole to better understand the long-term changes in the ice, which may have big implications for global sea level.

"
    Surprising Finds

The surprises began almost as soon as a camera was lowered into the first borehole, around December 1. The undersides of ice shelves are usually smooth due to gradual melting. But as the camera passed through the bottom of the hole, it showed the underside of the ice adorned with a glittering layer of flat ice crystals—like a jumble of snowflakes—evidence that in this particular place, sea water is actually freezing onto the base of the ice instead of melting it.

“It blew our minds,” says Christina Hulbe, a glaciologist from the University of Otago in New Zealand, who co-led the expedition. The Ross Ice Shelf is considered more stable, at present, than many of West Antarctica’s other floating shelves—and this observation could help explain that: if a few inches of sea water periodically freezes onto the bottom of its ice, this could buffer it from thinning more rapidly."
    Because ice is less dense than water, water generally freezes onto the bottom of it (the top is out of the water!).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Sailor (03-22-2019)

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post

I summarily discard crap from The Guardian. Going out and finding some starving polar bear does not mean they are all starving. 'Climate change' isn't even defined, other than as a religion.

According to the snow and ice data center in Boulder, CO, Arctic ice this winter had a greater extent than last winter. That's been true for the last several winters.
    In 2014, they recorded the record maximum ice extent ever recorded for Antarctica.

These are areas covered by ice at the peak of the winter of that pole. They do not denote the quantity of ice, since the thickness is unknown. The instrument used is satellite imaging.