Thread: How the politics of racial resentment is killing white people

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default How the politics of racial resentment is killing white people

Why do many working-class white Americans support politicians whose policies are literally killing them?

This is the question sociologist and psychiatrist Jonathan Metzl tries to answer in his new book, Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland. The book is a serious look at how cultural attitudes associated with “whiteness” encourage white people to adopt political views — like opposition to gun laws or the Affordable Care Act — that undercut their own health.

The book is not about racism at the individual level, though you can certainly read that into it. For Metzl, the key question is how did a politics of racial resentment become so powerful that it overwhelmed even the basic instinct for self-preservation? To get answers, he spent years talking to voters in Southern and Midwestern states, asking them to explain their political choices. The answers aren’t terribly satisfying, but they are instructive.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/19/182362...jonathan-metzl
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Why do many working-class white Americans support politicians whose policies are literally killing them?

This is the question sociologist and psychiatrist Jonathan Metzl tries to answer in his new book, Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland. The book is a serious look at how cultural attitudes associated with “whiteness” encourage white people to adopt political views — like opposition to gun laws or the Affordable Care Act — that undercut their own health.

The book is not about racism at the individual level, though you can certainly read that into it. For Metzl, the key question is how did a politics of racial resentment become so powerful that it overwhelmed even the basic instinct for self-preservation? To get answers, he spent years talking to voters in Southern and Midwestern states, asking them to explain their political choices. The answers aren’t terribly satisfying, but they are instructive.

Do those who favor gun laws and the AAA live longer than those who oppose them?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Do those who favor gun laws and the AAA live longer than those who oppose them?
    Yes, I'd gather. Less likely to be on doctor-peddled dope.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

evince (03-21-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post

Why do so many blacks support politicians that keep them on the plantation?

Twice the unemployment rate as whites, a 75% bastard birth rate, an incarceration rate that should embarrass all blacks, a dropout rate higher than all other groups, and 1 in every 3 1/2 using food stamps.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

There's no question that a huge number of under-educated whites vote in direct opposition to their own economic interests because the Republicans feed on their irrational xenophobic and racist fears. Many of them rendered themselves irredeemable by voting for Trump. They will go to their graves stained.

Their is no question that a huge number of militant blacks contributed to our having Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court for the next twenty or thirty or forty years by refusing to go to the polls and vote for Secretary Clinton in a binary choice against the vile Trump.

Do you think that I enjoyed voting for that bitch? Yes, she was qualified and competent, but ideologically, she was as far to the right of me as she was to many of those African American non-voters. Our job was to hold our noses and vote for her anyway. Allowing Trump to win Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin did long term if not permanent damage to this republic. Those who stayed home are equally stained.

Sorry Cornell West. I used to be a big fan, but you fucked the pooch on this one.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    There's no question that a huge number of under-educated whites vote in direct opposition to their own economic interests because the Republicans feed on their irrational xenophobic and racist fears. Many of them rendered themselves irredeemable by voting for Trump. They will go to their graves stained.

Their is no question that a huge number of militant blacks contributed to our having Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court for the next twenty or thirty or forty years by refusing to go to the polls and vote for Secretary Clinton in a binary choice against the vile Trump.

Do you think that I enjoyed voting for that bitch? Yes, she was qualified and competent, but ideologically, she was as far to the right of me as she was to many of those African American non-voters. Our job was to hold our noses and vote for her anyway. Allowing Trump to win Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin did long term if not permanent damage to this republic. Those who stayed home are equally stained.

Sorry Cornell West. I used to be a big fan, but you fucked the pooch on this one.
    The only stain is the one on your lips from the constant kissing of a black asshole.

When Ruth finally keels over, you'll have blacks to blame some more.

Trump kicked Hillary's ass and you've done nothing but whine ever since.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't think that you're hemorrhaging IQ points anymore, banjofuck.
    You've none left, you dumb piece of cracker shit.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think that you're hemorrhaging IQ points anymore, banjofuck.
    You've none left, you dumb piece of cracker shit.
    He's still hating himself for loving black cock and pissed off that his long felony record of sex crimes keeps him from any meaningful employment.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 41 Posts

The Politics of racial resentment seems limited to those who engage in identity politics, or in other words, the far left.
    The anti-Trumper's new mantra:

“B-b-but muh White supremacy”

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

so the republicans cheat them out of their rights to vote and you blame them?

wake the fuck up

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Heff View Post
    The Politics of racial resentment seems limited to those who engage in identity politics, or in other words, the far left.
    Big tents have never been good for anything but circuses, and Barnum & Baily / Ringling Brothers went out of business.
    The whole lament about identity politics is irrational. Parties should mean something. If you join one, there should be a rational reason.
    If you have no balls, you can be comfortable straddling a fence as an "independent." Otherwise, you can't.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    so the republicans cheat them out of their rights to vote and you blame them?

wake the fuck up
    Voter suppression is intolerable in the view of any moral person, evince, but you already know that that's not what I'm talking about.
    I'm talking about registered voters who voted for Obama (as I of course did) and then just stayed home in 2016.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Voter suppression is intolerable in the view of any moral person, evince, but you already know that that's not what I'm talking about.
    I'm talking about registered voters who voted for Obama (as I of course did) and then just stayed home in 2016.
    prove they just stayed home

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    prove they just stayed home
    That's actually easy. Both the registered voting roles and the actual poll lists of who voted are public record.
    If you take a moment to think, you might remember that from ninth grade civics class.
    You can read and write just fine. I'm sure that you went to school, evince.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's actually easy. Both the registered voting roles and the actual poll lists of who voted are public record.
    If you take a moment to think, you might remember that from ninth grade civics class.
    You can read and write just fine. I'm sure that you went to school, evince.
    that was how to check not proof you checked

If you don't take in all the facts you cant fix things

how many Americans had their vote tampered with last election?

the answer is we don't know

because we don't properly protect Americans rights to vote

heres a hint

Hilary won three million more votes but was cheated out of the office

the Russians helped the republicans game the electoral college by manipulating around 80,000 voters

so in fact

enough black voters voted for hilary to win

the republicans cheated with Russian help

so why are you blaming black voters?