Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Elite College Worth It? Maybe Not

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,407 Times in 10,037 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    no yours is, fool. the ivies are cronyistic and self serving, and that's how you are trying to sell it. knowledge is power, but networking is corruption. the institutions of oppression are crumbling. making victims white is not a solution, though it may be satisfying for idiots.
    globalists like your dumb ass dominate academia, so of course you want everyone indoctrinated on the taxpayer dime.
    Sounds like someone was rejected from Ivy League schools and is still very bitter about it.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Sounds like someone was rejected from Ivy League schools and is still very bitter about it.
    ok, Shirley.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I quoted you directly.

You brought something up that wasn't even in the Op-ED you reference in the OP.

So you entered new subjects not covered by the Op-ED into the debate to advance your preconceived and prejudicial notions about the value of a college education.

It was all you and your actions, man.

Seriously. Get a grip.
    You quoted, then misrepresented, why I was asking the question in context of the article I posted. Simple stuff but maybe you can have another 50 to 100 posts without actually addressing the article. I have faith in your sir.

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Sweatpants Don fanboy...lol Degree in "Dramatic Writing"
    Donald Glover has 2 Emmys.

How many does Donald Trump have?

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You quoted, then misrepresented, why I was asking the question in context of the article I posted.
    The context is that what you were asking wasn't covered by the OP-ED you were quoting.

That's why you brought it up, man.

You entered something new into the debate that the Op-ED didn't cover because you wanted to advance a personal and preferential narrative to attack degree programs you subjectively judge. Why do you subjectively judge them so? Simple; you're a dogmatic zealot.

You literally said it was something you were adding to the Op-ED that wasn't covered by it, so I naturally took issue with what you said because it was fundamentally wrong and disproved by empirical evidence, hence, it was a dumb point to make and actually undercuts any goal you were hoping to achieve.

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Simple stuff but maybe you can have another 50 to 100 posts without actually addressing the article.
    You weren't addressing the Op-Ed (It's NOT an article, it's an Op-ED) either, man, because you were using your self-entitlement to say that the authors of the Op-ED you posted neglected to factor in this particular subject you wanted to make as the point of focus of the piece that didn't mention it.

Now, why would you do that?

Simple; you want to push the narrative that there are degrees you subjectively judge as worthless. But because you're a lazy fucking asshole, you don't do the bare minimum research required to actually support that judgment. THAT IS WHAT MY PROBLEM IS. You feel it is your entitlement to manipulate and change the intention of an Op-ED to adhere and align with your narrow world view.

Anyone who challenges that narrow world view, you view as a threat to your character and judgment; hence, why you double down on nonsense even when provided empirical evidence showing your preconceptions are wrong. You don't take new information and adjust your beliefs, instead, you disregard new information or ignore it, while sticking to your preconceived notions like a zealot.

Total bad faith on your part.

7. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

So you try and derail the thread by having a melt down and now you are back to lying again. I've never called myself a centrist. Not once. You regularly and constantly make things up that I don't say.

You clearly have some personal issue where you feel to need to consistently lie about me and what I believe. Maybe I should just be honored that you feel the need to go to such lengths when talking to me.
    The problem with you, Cawacko, is that you use too much common sense and not enough emotion in your posts. If you would just squawk your thoughts exhibiting less self control you would be more appealling to some of these folks.

As to the OP...my son is a sophomore in high school and is in the process of choosing colleges right now. I am trying to let him make his own choices but also am trying to provide some practical advice to him. Part of that advice is the thrust of this article. He doesn’t nexessarily have to go to Harvard, Yale or MIT to come out and make a good living. He is very interested in those schools but he needs to know the truth. Most of the time it is the [perceived] prestige in the degree from these “elite” schools that gets in the heads of these young folks (and their parents as we’ve seen lately) but other schools can be and are more than adequate.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

anonymoose (03-21-2019), cawacko (03-21-2019), Mott the Hoople (03-21-2019), Sailor (03-21-2019)

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello TOP,

Well it was a guess, after all. And not a wild one. It was based on solid research. Of course, trends are just that. Not absolute. Thanks for being nice. A majority of Trump voters were fans of his TV show. Those who weren't tend to be extremely critical of Hillary Clinton.

Never heard of John's Crazy Socks.

Looks like a great venture:

John's Crazy Socks
    No problem-many of my friends feel as you do We're still friends ...I've always been honest about my Never Hillary feelings when it came to voting in the very strange*election....2020* will be even stranger, I'm afraid....
    Read up on John's Socks, if you get a chance.... a great story (I'm a retired Spec.Ed teacher, so a bit biased, but still

10. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Donald Glover has 2 Emmys.

How many does Donald Trump have?
    LOL...what does that have to do with anything? (Let me know when Childish Gambino is pres, though*

11. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    The problem with you, Cawacko, is that you use too much common sense and not enough emotion in your posts. If you would just squawk your thoughts exhibiting less self control you would be more appealling to some of these folks.

As to the OP...my son is a sophomore in high school and is in the process of choosing colleges right now. I am trying to let him make his own choices but also am trying to provide some practical advice to him. Part of that advice is the thrust of this article. He doesn’t nexessarily have to go to Harvard, Yale or MIT to come out and make a good living. He is very interested in those schools but he needs to know the truth. Most of the time it is the [perceived] prestige in the degree from these “elite” schools that gets in the heads of these young folks (and their parents as we’ve seen lately) but other schools can be and are more than adequate.
    I appreciate you LR and miss you posting here.

Best of luck to your son in whatever he chooses. Always an exciting and scary time when applying to schools. I'm sure you two will be having some very interesting discussions as you (he) make(s) that ultimate decision.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (03-21-2019)

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Nope, you are lying. What's it like to blatantly lie like you do? You never even read the article so you have no idea where I was coming from with my question. Instead you go ape sh*t crazy thinking I was saying something I wasn't.

So the issue here is your own. You have personal issues. Feel free not to respond anymore to me.
    You have the power to blank out the posts of any poster you wish.

The trick to using the Ignore Feature is getting over the nagging feeling of wondering what that person is saying about you if you don't see it. You know they are still going to say those things, so it's difficult to resist peeking. And even more difficult to resist commenting.

So the way to get out of a dead-end loop of flames is to simply not care what they say.

It's very difficult at first. That is the toughest time. The first days and weeks after deciding to use the Ignore Feature. The good news is that is the worst time. It gets so much better in time. After that it becomes worth it. More than worth it. Once you are able to simply shut a troll out, their power is vaporized. Useless. They can only get to you if you care about what they say.

It's helpful to realize that people talk about other people when they are not around. This happens in life, not just on chat boards. Your friends talk about you. You enemies talk about you. It has always been that way! It's human nature. After all. You talk about other people. Why wouldn't they talk about you? Just accept it. You can't change it. Talking back won't change it. The way out is to not care. Don't look at it, don't think about it. It is unimportant. You don't have to care. It's better if you don't.

Since people talk about you all the time and you may not know about it when it does, then you know that people are already saying things about you and you are not hearing them.

That thought made it easier for me to not care about what other posters are saying about me. Instead I became very selective about who I would respond to. And by so doing, it says something about you. It says you don't take any crap, so there is little point in trying. I'm sure some still do. I count on it. I expect people I've placed on Ignore to talk about me. I am happy to think they are likely saying I am unreasonable, that I over-use the Ignore Feature. That works to my favor. That just lets others know I am not bluffing. That lets them know if they unload on me that they can only do that once. I'll make sure of that.

If they want to engage with me they have to show basic respect. That is understood. Anybody who 'doesn't get that' becomes an example, nothing more.

Sure is amazing how so many people are able to treat me with respect when they may not treat others that way.

And one might think putting all the trolls on Ignore leaves one with nobody to talk to. Wrong! Totally wrong.

You make great posts, cawacko. You bring up very reasonable reasons for believing the things you do. People want to engage with you. You can ride on the merit of your reasoning. You'll still get plenty of responses. You can afford to be more selective in who you wish to see and respond to. You will still find more discussion than you can possibly keep up with. You don't have to waste your time engaging with people who are just looking for somebody to unload on. You could filter all of that out and be left with better choices of who you decide to interface with. And if you do decide to use the Ignore feature more I think you'll find yourself reading more challenging posts and fewer annoying ones.

There is nothing wrong with using the given tools to your advantage to enhance your posting experience. I encourage everyone to do so. We would have a better board for it.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Simple stuff but maybe you can have another 50 to 100 posts without actually addressing the article.
    You weren't addressing the article!

You literally said you were "adding" something to it.

So you were exercising your entitlement to change the intention and merit of the very Op-Ed you were quoting so it would conform to your narrow, misinformed, and dogmatic world view.

If you don't see how fundamentally fucked up that is...

15. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You weren't addressing the article!

You literally said you were "adding" something to it.

So you were exercising your entitlement to change the intention and merit of the very Op-Ed you were quoting so it would conform to your narrow, misinformed, and dogmatic world view.

If you don't see how fundamentally fucked up that is...
    I'm going to have to sit down for this one.

So on an internet political discussion board my crime is..... wait for it... posting an article and adding my opinion on it!!

I'm going to have to plead guilty to feeling "entitled" to offer an opinion on a discussion board. The audacity I know...

Yes LV, it is "fundamentally fvck up" to post an article one finds interesting and then add one's own thoughts in order to create a discussion on a discussion board.

I've done some fvcked up things in my life but not sure I can top this one.

16. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So on an internet political discussion board my crime is..... wait for it... posting an article and adding my opinion on it!!
    Not an article...an OP-ED.

One that didn't conform to your narrow world view so you simply just added your color on top of it so it does.

That's what I have an issue with. You lazily bastardized the work someone else did so you could use it to convey your shitty message and subjective judgment.

That's entitlement.

17. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not an article...an OP-ED.

One that didn't conform to your narrow world view so you simply just added your color on top of it so it does.

That's what I have an issue with. You lazily bastardized the work someone else did so you could use it to convey your shitty message and subjective judgment.

That's entitlement.
    Translation: It's entitlement to have an opinion or belief. Ok. Good thing you don't have any of those LV.