Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Elite College Worth It? Maybe Not

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,421 Times in 16,410 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Back to the OP.... "Elite" Universities? Worth it, or not?

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Back to the OP.... "Elite" Universities? Worth it, or not?
    No one has to look any further than our elected politicians to see obviously not worth it. Dumb as a rock most of them.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello reagansghost,

That is totally WRONG!

Cawacko, in my experience, is one of the noble posters here who can express himself without being vulgar and nasty. Despite the fact that we rarely agree, I always appreciate hearing cawacko's comments, and I have never known him to make a personal attack on another poster. This is admirable, because he is routinely the object of completely unfounded attacks. You have reduced your own credibility by making this unfounded personal attack, reagansghost (not that there is any respectable reason for ever making one.)
    YOU are totally WRONG!

cawacky has threatened my life on this board. He's personally attacked me several times.

But I'm betting a you don't care about him attacking me.

cawacky is a racist right winger all wrapped up in a nice little bow to fool people like you.

But you've always gotten the side eye from me because no sane person would want to compromise with a racist...….

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

LV426 (03-20-2019)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello TOP,

Yeah, you do know there was more than one accuser. A thorough FBI investigation could not possibly have been conducted in the limited time allotted. Also, the FBI was prevented from even CONSIDERING investigating the stories of all but ONE accuser.

I personally found her testimony to be highly credible and authentic. Anyone who did not take her for her word was prejudiced. She had no reason to lie. He DID.
    I believe that your recollection is faulty. Several people were interviewed. Some potential witnessed refused to talk to the FBI.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    I believe that your recollection is faulty. Several people were interviewed. Some potential witnessed refused to talk to the FBI.
    Correct....

7. #51 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,515 Times in 16,977 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    YOU are totally WRONG!

cawacky has threatened my life on this board. He's personally attacked me several times.

cawacky is a racist right winger all wrapped up in a nice little bow to fool people like you.

But you've always gotten the side eye from me because no sane person would want to compromise with a racist...….
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (03-20-2019)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

cawacky's post is based on a smear tactic that equates "elite" with liberalism.

that's the entire premise of his thread.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

LV426 (03-20-2019)

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello TOP,

Yeah, you do know there was more than one accuser. A thorough FBI investigation could not possibly have been conducted in the limited time allotted. Also, the FBI was prevented from even CONSIDERING investigating the stories of all but ONE accuser.

I personally found her testimony to be highly credible and authentic. Anyone who did not take her for her word was prejudiced. She had no reason to lie. He DID.
    As an academic, she specialized in creating false memories through hypnosis.

I didn't find either Ford or Kavanaugh credible. My impression was that two rich kids were victims of negligent parenting — proximal abandonment, perhaps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

PoliTalker (03-20-2019)

13. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

What if you have 2 daughters that are Morons? Wouldn't it be worth it to send them to a prestigious school and get them married off to some intelligent guy? At least you would have a 50/50 chance of having grandchildren that weren't Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Interesting read. I'd argue the one variable left out is the major the student chooses. If you want to go into the business world is studying Psychology at Harvard going to help you much more than a Business major at State U? Probably not. If your goal is I-Banking there are definite advantages to being in an Ivy.

The reality is parents will continue to want their children to go to the best schools and we have not hit a tipping point where we see folks choosing otherwise.

Is Elite College Worth It? Maybe Not

Wealthy parents who spend heavily to get their kids into top schools aren’t giving them as big an advantage as commonly thought, research shows

We’re told ad nauseam that college is the key to success. Is it any wonder that some parents broke the law to get their child into the best?

Of course, the parents accused by the FBI of bribing coaches and test administrators are an extreme case, but even some law abiding parents can relate: Some donate millions to their alma mater or hire $1,000-per-hour consultants to land a coveted spot at a top school.

And yet from an economic standpoint, this makes no sense. The evidence shows that a college degree delivers a large and sustained income premium over a high school diploma, but a selective college doesn’t make the premium bigger. There are exceptions, but most people who prosper after graduating from such a college would likely have prospered if they had attended a less prestigious institution as well. After all, the children whose parents were charged last week were born with wealth, connections, and devoted parents willing to do almost anything for them, a recipe for success no matter where they graduate from.

Consequently, the outrage directed at parents who buy their children’s way legally or illegally into top colleges, while understandable, misses the point. Like an exclusive country club, admission to a top college is proof of status, not the source of it. A child bumped by another’s wealth has lost a trophy, not a future.

The fact that smart, ambitious children who attend elite colleges also do well in life doesn’t mean the first caused the second. This was most clearly demonstrated in a pair of now famous papers by Stacy Dale of Mathematica Policy Research and Alan Krueger of Princeton University.

Mr. Krueger, one of the country’s most admired and prolific labor market economists, died this past weekend, at the age of 58. His studies routinely overturned the conventional wisdom with innovative field experiments using obscure sources of data.

The college study was one of them. He and Ms. Dale linked the college application choices drawn from a survey of graduates with their earnings results from the Social Security Administration over the next two to three decades. What they found was that two students with similar backgrounds, grades and test scores who applied to the same mix of selective and nonselective schools earned about the same later on, even if the first attended a selective school and the second didn’t. The choice of schools applied to was indicative of ambition which, they argue, is a more powerful driver of success than the school they attend. “The return to college selectivity [is] indistinguishable from zero,” they wrote in 2011.

The fact that the school you attended makes little difference to your future income doesn’t mean quality doesn’t matter. Rather, quality defined as how effectively a school raises a particular student’s achievement isn’t the same as selectivity. Says Ms. Dale: “In colleges and universities, people are hired based on research, not on their teaching skills. The best teachers may not be at the best schools.”

Doug Webber, an economist at Temple University, says the elite colleges Ms. Dale and Mr. Krueger examined were only slightly better, academically, than the nonelite colleges. Where quality differences are starker, so are the effects on income. He says one study found no premium for attending the University of Texas instead of other Texas state schools, which are ranked only slightly lower, while another found a big premium for attending the University of Florida, which he says ranks much better than other state schools.

The same phenomenon appears overseas, where parents can be even more obsessed with elite colleges than Americans, even if they don’t spend as much getting their children into them.

Magne Mostad, a Norwegian-born economist now at the University of Chicago, and two co-authors conducted a study in Norway similar to that of Mr. Krueger and Ms. Dale’s. When adjusted for age, gender and high-school grades, graduates of elite universities did earn slightly more than others, but what they studied mattered far more: Science graduates earned almost triple what humanities graduates did.

So if selective schools have so little effect on a student’s future income, is it irrational for parents to pay so much and suffer so much anxiety, to get their child into one? In part, parents may simply value noneconomic factors, like bragging rights at parties or the chance for their child to marry within a particular social network.

Admission to such schools is also like a lottery ticket: Your odds of reaching the top of business or politics are always low, but not quite as low if you share the same dorm as the future chief executive of a Fortune 500 company or U.S. president.

And focusing only on the benefits to the wealthy may miss the full picture. Ms. Dale and Mr. Krueger found that African-American and Hispanic students, and those whose parents didn’t go to college, actually did enjoy an income boost from a selective college, perhaps, the researchers said, owing to networking opportunities they otherwise wouldn’t have had.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-elit...d=hp_lead_pos9

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-21-2019), PoliTalker (03-20-2019)

15. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

""cawacky has threatened my life on this board. He's personally attacked me several times.""

TTQ64 you need help.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (03-20-2019), Sailor (03-20-2019)

17. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    ""cawacky has threatened my life on this board. He's personally attacked me several times.""

TTQ64 you need help.
    Her welfare insurance certainly will pay for it. I have no idea why she does not take advantage of it.

18. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    No one has to look any further than our elected politicians to see obviously not worth it. Dumb as a rock most of them.
    True....I wonder how many posting here have a degree (or degrees) from a university period....and have gone onto a successful career?

19. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    What if you have 2 daughters that are Morons? Wouldn't it be worth it to send them to a prestigious school and get them married off to some intelligent guy? At least you would have a 50/50 chance of having grandchildren that weren't Idiots.
    If your goal is to do it legally the chances of getting two morons into an elite school probably isn't high. You'd have to go the Plan B route to introduce them to that type of guy.

20. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    True....I wonder how many posting here have a degree (or degrees) from a university period....and have gone onto a successful career?
    None of the progressive on this board I can assure you. Leaning left liberals? Yes. Quite a few smart ones on here. Progressives? Fuck no. Just want free shit.

21. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    YOU are totally WRONG!

Cawacko is not an ally. He is someone who believes he is entitled to have his subjective opinion set as the standard, and if you don't accommodate that opinion then you're part of the problem.

He's if Howard Schultz had a JPP account.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

TTQ64 (03-20-2019)