Members banned from this thread: Legion, Truth Detector, MAGA MAN, CFM and Getin the ring

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New book exposes Jared and Ivanka as the clueless, entitled phonies they are.

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Im soooooo tired of having the left be described as the same as the fox idiot on the right

they are not equivalent
    \

over and over the LEFT pans out to be correct

and the fox right wing ends up bathed in lies

I just don't trust people who claim to be Democratic voters who then deny that the Left always ends up being with the facts and predicting what the issues we need to pay attention to

the right ends up wrong

and the left thoughts end up being the mainstream beliefs

This Poli is why I distrusted you in the very begining

I have seen it happen before

how can you believe the rights crap about what the lefts record ends up being ?

the "far" left has been correct so many fricking times

why would you pretend that opposite of that fact?
    You can't see eye to eye with anybody who isn't partisan.

I don't believe what the right says about the left. But I do know that there are good people on both sides and hatred is not a good basis for good policy. We Americans have to find a way forward together. We liberals can't expect to expel all the conservatives or their thoughts any more than they can expect to expel the liberals. We are stuck together. Together we must stand.

I am a voice for unity.

Let us be united in our common good fortune, our loyalty and resolve to improve the nation; let us disagree only on how best to do that.

Can we at least agree that self immolation as a nation is not the best course forward?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    You can't see eye to eye with anybody who isn't partisan.

I don't believe what the right says about the left. But I do know that there are good people on both sides and hatred is not a good basis for good policy. We Americans have to find a way forward together. We liberals can't expect to expel all the conservatives or their thoughts any more than they can expect to expel the liberals. We are stuck together. Together we must stand.

I am a voice for unity.

Let us be united in our common good fortune, our loyalty and resolve to improve the nation; let us disagree only on how best to do that.

Can we at least agree that self immolation as a nation is not the best course forward?
    I don't hate all conservatives or even disagree in principle with all of their beliefs.

I've had several close friends over the years who voted Republican.

The problem is that you just never encounter any of the decent ones on political boards like this one.

The ones on these boards tend to be mostly obnoxious assholes who aren't interested in playing nice.

So I don't play nice with them.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (03-21-2019)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker View Post
    more like fiction books
    I don't know why. They were always part of the NY scene and lived public lives. It should be easy to correct any lies about them.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I, personally, didn’t think about them at all, until Trump appointed them to “volunteers with security clearance”, status.
    The last time they were on my radar, before the election, was when Ivanka got married and we talked about it here and posted pictures.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Phantasmal (03-21-2019)

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I don't know why. They were always part of the NY scene and lived public lives. It should be easy to correct any lies about them.
    who is gonna do that? Fake news gets out there and it rarely gets corrected

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good morning Nomad,

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I don't hate all conservatives or even disagree in principle with all of their beliefs.

I've had several close friends over the years who voted Republican.

The problem is that you just never encounter any of the decent ones on political boards like this one.

The ones on these boards tend to be mostly obnoxious assholes who aren't interested in playing nice.

So I don't play nice with them.
    The obnoxiousness is a self-fueling fire which depends on two people believing that two wrongs make a right, taking that incorrect belief to heart, letting it guide their conduct.

Being obnoxious to the obnoxious, provokes more obnoxiousness, not an effective way to deal with it. That leads to internalizing hatred, and lots of obnoxiousness. It produces a board full of nastiness. That leads regulars to believe this is normal and OK. It isn't. I bet a lot of people who don't like that come here, thinking they might like to discuss politics, take a lurk around, and quickly change their mind. They don't even sign up. Sometimes they do, but after they make a few posts, they leave, never to return. Why else do you think the 'member list' is mostly identities with only a few posts?

I am trying to conduct myself in such a way that if everyone were to act that way, the world would be a better place. The board would be a better place.

If everyone were to post using my approach, there would be no flame wars. Only intellectual discussion would flow. But, of course, that is overly idealistic. Everyone is not going to post that way. We are going to have, as you say, "obnoxious assholes who aren't interested in playing nice." That's the actual situation, so the challenge becomes how to best deal with that. One course of action provokes more flames, the other diffuses that. If one is tempted to fight fire with fire then there's lots of fire. If one doesn't do that then the cycle is broken.

It is inaccurate to say: "The problem is that you just never encounter any of the decent ones on political boards like this one." That is just absolutely not correct at all. There are lots of good decent people here. I am here. I am interested in playing nice. And I am not alone. The reason we don't see more posts by decent people interested in playing nice is because it usually takes longer to make a thoughtful post. Nastiness can be whipped out at will, almost without thinking. So there are more vitriolic posts.

The flame wars do serve one strange purpose. They bump threads. The most active threads are frequently the nastiest flame wars. People get their emotions all stirred up and go back and forth trying to outdo each other. Sure, the thread goes to the top, but what is it full of? Vitriol and nastiness.

That is what creates the perception that there are no good decent people here. Their posts are buried under mountains of vitriol. Finding them requires strong effective filters (a big Ignore List) and some persistent digging. The gems ARE there.

The true reality is we have both types of posting going on. The decision becomes which style to use. Lots of people never even stop to consider this choice. Somebody says something nasty about them so they just fire right back. And off to the races they go.

The reality is that it only takes a relatively few people to fill a board with vitriol, seemingly appearing to be most of the posting, because those types of posts take less time to formulate. Posters are left with a choice. Either engage with them on their level or Ignore them.

Some people have a hard time using the Ignore feature. It is felt that is a weakness. As if they 'can't take it.' This feeling leads to boasts of: 'I don't have anybody on Ignore.' Ouuu. Impressive. But to whom? I'm not impressed by that. I used to be. I posted that way for over a decade. I was so proud to think that I could 'take it.'

Then one day I wondered what that was really worth. I got curious. I wondered what it was like staying out of such thoughtless posting. I knew there were others who didn't engage with the flamers and trolls. I was tired of all the insults. I wondered what it was like without that. I wondered what it was doing to my head, being constantly immersed in such bad feelings. If we spend time on chat boards, that becomes a part of our life. What does it do to us?

I used to take it out on other drivers on the highway. If somebody did something dangerous and threatening, tailgating, a near-miss pass, pulling out too close, causing me to brake hard, I fought back. I was out to teach them a lesson. Cut me off? I'll tailgate you. "Take that!" This was all spiraling downhill. I was on a bad trajectory. I was prone to getting into a shouting match with some stranger in a store or wherever I encountered anyone who was inconsiderate and stupid, in my view. This was not good at all. To be riding along the highway and taunting other drivers, having duels of ignorance and danger. It was foolish. If I didn't change, I knew that there could come one day when I made a bad mistake.

I wondered what it was like to have a life without all that. I decided to try it. I didn't tell anybody. I just started placing people I didn't wish to engage with on Ignore. I never told them or anybody else. I decided that this experiment should last several weeks. The reason being that it takes that long to change most habits. A few weeks later I had a large Ignore List, and my entire experience with chat boards changed drastically. I liked it.

I also began to ignore bad drivers. I took a completely different approach there, too. I decided life was more precious than getting even or trying to 'teach somebody a lesson.' I became a hyper-miler. Driving is no longer a competition. I let the fools go. I save tons of money on gasoline, tires and brakes. I am a much safer driver. I realized that if I am getting angry at strangers it is a sign that something is bothering me internally. It is a signal that I have some soul-searching to do, some internal conflict to resolve. My entire life is better. I have transcended above what I was before.

I can tell you very truthfully that my life is far better now. I never want to go back to the way I was. I've done nasty and I've done nice. Nice is superior. I love my life. I am at peace with the world. And that is quite a remarkable thing in such a turbulent world. There is peace and beauty everywhere. It can only be seen and appreciated if it is sought out and noticed. But if glossed over, it is easy to think the world is nothing but nastiness. To think so is a mistake.

Sure, it's a big change for an individual to make. Certainly the individual has to want to make that change. Nobody else can tell a person to do that if they don't want to do it on their own. But you know what? Somebody actually did tell me to do it. I happened to be at a place in my head where I was receptive to the message. A conservative told me I would come across much better if I didn't make up derogatory names for President Bush. He was a well-respected poster on that board. I was receptive to the message. I didn't change right away. It took a while to sink in. He actually got disgusted with the board and left before I changed. I always wanted to thank him but I never got the chance.

I have to tell you, the peace of mind is fabulous. Trolls can't hurt me. I don't let them. I don't have to mix it up with them because I am above that. It is fabulous. It's so good I want to share it. This is like some great secret to peace of mind. People should KNOW about this! The best way I can thank the guy who told me what I needed to hear at the time I needed to hear it is to share that favor with others.

If you are not in a place where that message is receptive, I understand. I'll try to not wear it out. It must be difficult to be in the middle of a flame war and have somebody saying you shouldn't do that. Especially when it seems so warranted. We can't know what is going on in other people's heads. We can talk and try to communicate our feelings and thoughts, but we can't really know. Our language falls short in so many ways.

I'm not on a mission. I just want to do for others what was done for me. A random act of kindness. Something that made a wonderful difference in my life. I can only guess when the timing is right. And I know that I may never know if it really worked or not. But I do know that if I never try, it never will.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Who Do Jared and Ivanka Think They Are?

A new book probes the Kushner family’s secrets.

By Michelle Goldberg
    March 18, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/o...orruption.html

Many high achievers, particularly women and people of color, suffer from impostor syndrome, the fear that they don’t belong in the rarefied realm to which they’ve ascended and that they will soon be found out. Even Michelle Obama, who is, according to a Gallup poll conducted last year, the most admired woman in America, has said that she feels it. “I share that with you because we all have doubts in our abilities, about our power and what that power is,” she told students in London in December.

Well, maybe not*all*of us. I’ve just finished Vicky Ward’s “Kushner, Inc.,” a scintillating investigation of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump’s White House sojourn, which comes out on Tuesday. It’s full of damning details: contempt for the entitled, venal couple may be the one thing that unites all of D.C.’s warring factions. Still, the first daughter and her husband remain psychologically mysterious, at least to me. Why don’t they have impostor syndrome, given that their total lack of qualifications for the jobs they are doing makes them actual impostors?

According to “Kushner, Inc.,” Gary Cohn, former director of the National Economic Council, has told people that Ivanka Trump thinks she could someday be president. “Her father’s reign in Washington, D.C., is, she believes, the beginning of a great American dynasty,” writes Ward. Kushner, whose pre-White House experience included owning a boutique newspaper and helming a catastrophically ill-timed real estate deal, has arrogated to himself substantial parts of American foreign policy. According to Ward, shortly after Rex Tillerson was confirmed as secretary of state, Kushner told him “to leave Mexico to him because he’d have Nafta wrapped up by October.”

As political actors, the couple are*living exemplars of the Dunning-Kruger effect, a psychological phenomenon which leads incompetent people to overestimate their ability because they can’t grasp how much they don’t know.

Partly, the Jared and Ivanka story is about the “reality distortion field” — a term one of Ward’s sources uses about Kushner — created by great family wealth. She quotes a member of Trump’s legal team saying that the two “have no idea how normal people perceive, understand, intuit.” Privilege, in them, has been raised to the level of near sociopathy.

Ward, the author of two previous books about the worlds of high finance and real estate, has known Kushner slightly for a long time; she told me that when he bought The New York Observer newspaper in 2006, he tried to hire her. She knocks down the idea that either he or his wife is a stabilizing force or moral compass in the Trump administration. Multiple White House sources told her they think it was Kushner who ordered the closing of White House visitor logs in April 2017, because he “didn’t want his frenetic networking exposed.” Ward reports that Cohn was stunned by their blasé reaction to Trump’s defense of the white-nationalist marchers in Charlottesville, Va.: “He was upset that they were not sufficiently upset.”

Still, even if you assume that the couple are amoral climbers, their behavior still doesn’t quite make sense. Ward writes that Ivanka’s chief concern is her personal brand, but that brand has been trashed. The book cites an October 2017 survey measuring consumer approval of more than 1,600 brands. Ivanka’s fashion line was in the bottom 10. A leading real estate developer tells Ward that Kushner, now caught up in multiple state and federal investigations, has become radioactive: “No one will want to do business with him.” (Kushner resigned as C.E.O. of Kushner Companies in 2017, but has kept most of his stake in the business.)

To truly make sense of their motivations, Ward told me, you have to understand the gravitational pull of their fathers. Husband and wife are both “really extraordinarily orientated and identified through their respective fathers in a way that most fully formed adults are not,” she said.

Among the most interesting parts of “Kushner, Inc.,” are the chapters about the business history of Charles Kushner, Jared’s felonious father, and his plan to restore his reputation, with Jared’s help, after getting out of prison in 2006. Part of that rehabilitation project was the purchase of a flagship building in Manhattan — 666 Fifth Avenue, an absurdly on-the-nose address — for which the family paid a record amount at the very height of the real estate market in 2007. When the Great Recession hit, the building became a white elephant, its debt threatening the family fortune.

Ward’s book suggests that the search for someone who would bail out 666 Fifth Avenue has played a significant role in American foreign policy during the Trump administration. And since the completion of her book, we’ve learned that Trump overrode intelligence officials, who were concerned about Kushner and his family’s ties to foreign investors, to give Kushner a security clearance.

In the end, the Kushner family seems to have gotten what it wanted. Last year, Brookfield Asset Management, which has substantial investment from the government of Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund, came to the Kushners’ rescue. (The Qataris have denied any advance knowledge of the deal.)

“You’ll notice that the U.S. position toward Qatar changes when the Qataris bail out 666 Fifth Avenue,” said Ward, adding, “We look like a banana republic.” Maybe that’s why Jared and Ivanka appear so blithely confident. As public servants, they’re obviously way out of their depth. But as self-dealing scions of a gaudy autocracy? They’re naturals.
    Then there's always Biden's son Hunter and his pal Christopher (Kerry's son) flying on Air Force 2 to make a billion dollar Rosemont Capital deal with the Chinese government bank. Of course they attached several branches to the Rosemont Capital trunk, including Rosemont Seneca Partners, LLC, Rosemont Seneca Technology Partners, and Rosemont Realty.
    I'm sure it was just coincidence that our government was handing out good policy actions to China (and other countries) at the same time the "kids" were gaining good financial deals with them.
    Yeah, pretty sure.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

10. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Good morning Nomad,

The obnoxiousness is a self-fueling fire which depends on two people believing that two wrongs make a right, taking that incorrect belief to heart, letting it guide their conduct.

Being obnoxious to the obnoxious, provokes more obnoxiousness, not an effective way to deal with it. That leads to internalizing hatred, and lots of obnoxiousness. It produces a board full of nastiness. That leads regulars to believe this is normal and OK. It isn't. I bet a lot of people who don't like that come here, thinking they might like to discuss politics, take a lurk around, and quickly change their mind. They don't even sign up. Sometimes they do, but after they make a few posts, they leave, never to return. Why else do you think the 'member list' is mostly identities with only a few posts?

I am trying to conduct myself in such a way that if everyone were to act that way, the world would be a better place. The board would be a better place.

If everyone were to post using my approach, there would be no flame wars. Only intellectual discussion would flow. But, of course, that is overly idealistic. Everyone is not going to post that way. We are going to have, as you say, "obnoxious assholes who aren't interested in playing nice." That's the actual situation, so the challenge becomes how to best deal with that. One course of action provokes more flames, the other diffuses that. If one is tempted to fight fire with fire then there's lots of fire. If one doesn't do that then the cycle is broken.

It is inaccurate to say: "The problem is that you just never encounter any of the decent ones on political boards like this one." That is just absolutely not correct at all. There are lots of good decent people here. I am here. I am interested in playing nice. And I am not alone. The reason we don't see more posts by decent people interested in playing nice is because it usually takes longer to make a thoughtful post. Nastiness can be whipped out at will, almost without thinking. So there are more vitriolic posts.

The flame wars do serve one strange purpose. They bump threads. The most active threads are frequently the nastiest flame wars. People get their emotions all stirred up and go back and forth trying to outdo each other. Sure, the thread goes to the top, but what is it full of? Vitriol and nastiness.

That is what creates the perception that there are no good decent people here. Their posts are buried under mountains of vitriol. Finding them requires strong effective filters (a big Ignore List) and some persistent digging. The gems ARE there.

The true reality is we have both types of posting going on. The decision becomes which style to use. Lots of people never even stop to consider this choice. Somebody says something nasty about them so they just fire right back. And off to the races they go.

The reality is that it only takes a relatively few people to fill a board with vitriol, seemingly appearing to be most of the posting, because those types of posts take less time to formulate. Posters are left with a choice. Either engage with them on their level or Ignore them.

Some people have a hard time using the Ignore feature. It is felt that is a weakness. As if they 'can't take it.' This feeling leads to boasts of: 'I don't have anybody on Ignore.' Ouuu. Impressive. But to whom? I'm not impressed by that. I used to be. I posted that way for over a decade. I was so proud to think that I could 'take it.'

Then one day I wondered what that was really worth. I got curious. I wondered what it was like staying out of such thoughtless posting. I knew there were others who didn't engage with the flamers and trolls. I was tired of all the insults. I wondered what it was like without that. I wondered what it was doing to my head, being constantly immersed in such bad feelings. If we spend time on chat boards, that becomes a part of our life. What does it do to us?

I used to take it out on other drivers on the highway. If somebody did something dangerous and threatening, tailgating, a near-miss pass, pulling out too close, causing me to brake hard, I fought back. I was out to teach them a lesson. Cut me off? I'll tailgate you. "Take that!" This was all spiraling downhill. I was on a bad trajectory. I was prone to getting into a shouting match with some stranger in a store or wherever I encountered anyone who was inconsiderate and stupid, in my view. This was not good at all. To be riding along the highway and taunting other drivers, having duels of ignorance and danger. It was foolish. If I didn't change, I knew that there could come one day when I made a bad mistake.

I wondered what it was like to have a life without all that. I decided to try it. I didn't tell anybody. I just started placing people I didn't wish to engage with on Ignore. I never told them or anybody else. I decided that this experiment should last several weeks. The reason being that it takes that long to change most habits. A few weeks later I had a large Ignore List, and my entire experience with chat boards changed drastically. I liked it.

I also began to ignore bad drivers. I took a completely different approach there, too. I decided life was more precious than getting even or trying to 'teach somebody a lesson.' I became a hyper-miler. Driving is no longer a competition. I let the fools go. I save tons of money on gasoline, tires and brakes. I am a much safer driver. I realized that if I am getting angry at strangers it is a sign that something is bothering me internally. It is a signal that I have some soul-searching to do, some internal conflict to resolve. My entire life is better. I have transcended above what I was before.

I can tell you very truthfully that my life is far better now. I never want to go back to the way I was. I've done nasty and I've done nice. Nice is superior. I love my life. I am at peace with the world. And that is quite a remarkable thing in such a turbulent world. There is peace and beauty everywhere. It can only be seen and appreciated if it is sought out and noticed. But if glossed over, it is easy to think the world is nothing but nastiness. To think so is a mistake.

Sure, it's a big change for an individual to make. Certainly the individual has to want to make that change. Nobody else can tell a person to do that if they don't want to do it on their own. But you know what? Somebody actually did tell me to do it. I happened to be at a place in my head where I was receptive to the message. A conservative told me I would come across much better if I didn't make up derogatory names for President Bush. He was a well-respected poster on that board. I was receptive to the message. I didn't change right away. It took a while to sink in. He actually got disgusted with the board and left before I changed. I always wanted to thank him but I never got the chance.

I have to tell you, the peace of mind is fabulous. Trolls can't hurt me. I don't let them. I don't have to mix it up with them because I am above that. It is fabulous. It's so good I want to share it. This is like some great secret to peace of mind. People should KNOW about this! The best way I can thank the guy who told me what I needed to hear at the time I needed to hear it is to share that favor with others.

If you are not in a place where that message is receptive, I understand. I'll try to not wear it out. It must be difficult to be in the middle of a flame war and have somebody saying you shouldn't do that. Especially when it seems so warranted. We can't know what is going on in other people's heads. We can talk and try to communicate our feelings and thoughts, but we can't really know. Our language falls short in so many ways.

I'm not on a mission. I just want to do for others what was done for me. A random act of kindness. Something that made a wonderful difference in my life. I can only guess when the timing is right. And I know that I may never know if it really worked or not. But I do know that if I never try, it never will.
    TL/DR.

Seriously!!!!

All I can say, based on the first paragraph or two that I did read, is that if you don't like people being obnoxious to each other on these boards, you might be better served finding something else to do online.

In case it has never occurred to you, people come to boards like this because they ENJOY flinging mud at the other side. If this place was as bland, boring, namby-pamby and milquetoast as you suggest it should be, NOBODY would post here.

It would be DEAD. The equivalent of...

You can continue to be as genteel and polite as you want to, but telling other people how to behave or that they should try to be more like you, is overstepping the bounds of good taste a bit.

I'm gonna keep on givin' 'em hell.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Then there's always Biden's son Hunter and his pal Christopher (Kerry's son) flying on Air Force 2 to make a billion dollar Rosemont Capital deal with the Chinese government bank. Of course they attached several branches to the Rosemont Capital trunk, including Rosemont Seneca Partners, LLC, Rosemont Seneca Technology Partners, and Rosemont Realty.
    I'm sure it was just coincidence that our government was handing out good policy actions to China (and other countries) at the same time the "kids" were gaining good financial deals with them.
    Yeah, pretty sure.
    Gee, that's funny. You left out "Cocaine Mitch" McConnell's Klan.

WSJ: Author Alleges China Used Business Deals to Influence Families of Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden

I'm sure it was just coincidence...

Yeah, pretty sure.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Nomad,

TL/DR.

Seriously!!!!
    Hey, sorry some things take more than a sound byte to describe. Maybe the post will be receptive to somebody else.

All I can say, based on the first paragraph or two that I did read, is that if you don't like people being obnoxious to each other on these boards, you might be better served finding something else to do online.
    Or maybe just keep on keepin on. I expect that many people will always be obnoxious to each other on these boards. I'm just sharing a little piece of mind I found in how to deal with it, after I found those bad feelings creeping out of chat boards and into the rest of my life.

In case it has never occurred to you, people come to boards like this because they ENJOY flinging mud at the other side.
    Some do, but not everyone. If you had read my whole post you would have seen that I covered that.

If this place was as bland, boring, namby-pamby and milquetoast as you suggest it should be, NOBODY would post here.
    If you had read my long post you would have seen that I also covered that, too. I know fully well that everyone is not going to post like me. And you are right. It would be boring if they did. It takes all of us to make the board what it is.

It would be DEAD. The equivalent of...

Funny. But I don' think so. And, no problem, fortunately we have diversity of posters.

You can continue to be as genteel and polite as you want to, but telling other people how to behave or that they should try to be more like you, is overstepping the bounds of good taste a bit.
    I am not telling you how you should behave. I am sharing what I found in my own experience.

I'm gonna keep on givin' 'em hell.
    As long as that works for you, why not? That's the beauty of freedom.

One thing is for sure. I enjoy my visits here and I am going to keep being respectful. I come here to discuss politics and learn what motivates others to believe what they do. I want to know that I am justified in believing what I believe. If somebody shows me why my beliefs are based on some false assumptions, and they are correct, I want to change my beliefs. I want to think I am advocating what is best for the USA. When I compare my beliefs to others, and I see that their beliefs are based on falsehoods and hatred, and mine are based on reality and a love of humanity, then I feel justified in my beliefs.

It's pretty rare when somebody from the right can point out any flaws in my beliefs. If all they want to do is unload their frustration on me? That tells me their belief system is based on hatred and anger. Not a good basis for believing in something.

If I was conservative? And I came here with the same approach? And a liberal jumped on me personally and told me off? That would not cause me to want to change my beliefs at all.

That's why I focus on the merit of the argument. What are the facts. No need to get emotional about it or make things personal. That's why I stay away from that. I want to present the best argument I can without any emotional attachment. Just focus on the facts. If the facts are on my side then that is all I need. Anything else is just a distraction and a dilution.

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nomad bought a copy for every room in his mother's basement........

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Nice sock. Who is this, katzgar? Floridafan?

Perhaps you would prefer the Communist Party.
    all I know is that he was automatically put on my ignore list, so he is someone I already had on ignore.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

countryboy (03-21-2019)

16. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Nomad bought a copy for every room in his mother's basement........
    My mother lived in Florida, idiot.

Everyone knows there are no basements in Florida, idiot.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Gee, that's funny. You left out "Cocaine Mitch" McConnell's Klan.
    Yeah? OK, him too.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My mother lived in Florida, idiot.

Everyone knows there are no basements in Florida, idiot.
    Hey Scooter........there are basements in Florida in the central to north areas with a few more feet above sea level.
    pain in abortion.