Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: What part of Christianity isn't compatible with the US Constitution...

1. #361 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    What Washingtons religious confidant s Rev. Leland, said. https://www.au.org/church-state/octo...acy-of-liberty PP, you getting the message?
    yes I am......I and they are right and you are wrong......
    Nip the first bud of intrusion on your Constitution…. Never promote men who seek after a state-established religion; it is spiritual tyranny the worst of despotism.
    you seek state established atheism........your bud is nipped......

2. #362 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    That's why they wanted separation. They don't want any religion taking center stage, and wished for the religious freedom to be equal to all. When you hang nonsecular law over secular, you tend to start down the path of indoctrination. One day Christianity may be the minority religion, and people will wish they would have kept that even field of play for religions. Just think how you react to Sharia Law.
    I actually agree with you here. In fact, I agree with the separation of church and state. One of these days we may not get off work for Christmas...and that's OK. I entered the discussion because of this statement:

Christianity is taught to children who do not have the capacity to make decisions for themselves. It is absolutely not voluntary. I was forced to go to church and catechism classes when I was a kid. It was not voluntary.
    My point being that children "who do not have the capacity to make decisions for themselves" are taught a myriad of things such as hygiene, good eating habits, safety rules, etc. that parents deem to be necessary and good for the kids. For many of us parents teaching our kids about Christianity and the Bible is equally if not more important. The kids eventually have to own it and some will...some won't. But Christian parents doing their job are going to teach their kids. Evidently the fellow who posted the above is one for whom his parents' teaching didn't take.

I have stated on several occasions I don't want someone teaching my kid about the Bible and their version of Christianity at school. I don't condone a state religion and do not consider the US a "Christian" nation. By the same token, I hardly see how having a prayer before a football game is a state sponsoring anything.

At any rate, I think we agree more than we disagree at least as far as governmental involvement in religion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

countryboy (03-27-2019)

4. #363 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,820 Times in 17,256 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    yes I am......I and they are right and you are wrong......

you seek state established atheism........your bud is nipped......
    I do? I did not know that. Thanks for such a deep and intelligent response. The founders want to keep religion out of the state. You want Christianity, not religion in charge.
    If you believe in Christianity, then you believe in an omnipresent god. God is everywhere. So why do you have to stop a game to show us how well you can pray? How different is that from praying your ass off at home? It is annoying as hell . There are atheists, Muslims, Jews and others at games. They all have to wait while you make a public show of your religiosity and show us your power over other religions. They don't get to hold up a game to say prayers. It should not be allowed.
    As usual, you are wrong and unable to even understand the problem.
    Last edited by Nordberg; 03-26-2019 at 01:37 PM.

5. #364 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 11,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Religious Holidays.
    The Constitution of the United States does not discuss anything about holidays. No incompatibility there.
    Religious paraphernalia on Public Property.
    The Constitution of the United States does not discuss religious paraphernalia, other than it can't be banned. Putting up a town Christmas tree is not unconstitutional. Neither is putting up a town Menorah or any other religious symbol. Many government builds have swastikas on them. They are part of the building facad. They are a religious symbol too.
    Religious chants before Public Meetings.
    A prayer to a god is not unconstitutional. There is nothing that describes whether that god exists or what the character of that god is.
    Phantasmal supports students bringing Prayer Rugs to school, do you?
    Why not? If they want to haul them to school and there is room enough in the classroom for them physically, that's their issue, isn't it?
    How about Minarets. How many Minarets do you want in your neighborhood?
    I really don't care. That has nothing to do with the Constitution of the United States. It's no different than a lot of churches putting a cross on their roof.

You claim to support the Constitution of the United States, then you turn right around and condone banning a particular religion (Muslim) based on personal opinions.

Just what are you trying to argue here?

BTW, the 1st amendment applies only to Congress, not the States. However, States have similar wordings in their own constitutions. States have in the past established religious tests for holding office, banned certain religions, etc. Currently, no State does so.

6. #365 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Please cite the Biblical mandate for an established state religion. Betcha can't.
    Nothing about Christianity requires the establishment of a State religion anyway.

It is interesting to note that many of the founding fathers were Christian, including Thomas Jefferson (who rejected Orthodox Christianity, but nevertheless was a Christian. It is these people that came up with the 1st amendment in the first place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

countryboy (03-26-2019)

8. #366 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Secular Humanists don't want your bullshit Man-God crap cluttering up the Public Square.
    No one has a problem with you guys playing 'Harry Potter' over at YOUR house.
    Public Squares are cluttered places anyway. Why do you support the government banning a religion on a public square?

Yes, people DO have a problem with folks watching Harry Potter in their own house. I assume you aren't one of them, considering your statement.

9. #367 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Apparently you missed the previous discussion. Before you blather on, please respond to the Question:
    "What part of Scientology isn't compatible with the US Constitution..."

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    The Constitution of the United States does not discuss anything about holidays. No incompatibility there.

The Constitution of the United States does not discuss religious paraphernalia, other than it can't be banned. Putting up a town Christmas tree is not unconstitutional. Neither is putting up a town Menorah or any other religious symbol. Many government builds have swastikas on them. They are part of the building facad. They are a religious symbol too.

A prayer to a god is not unconstitutional. There is nothing that describes whether that god exists or what the character of that god is.

Why not? If they want to haul them to school and there is room enough in the classroom for them physically, that's their issue, isn't it?

I really don't care. That has nothing to do with the Constitution of the United States. It's no different than a lot of churches putting a cross on their roof.

You claim to support the Constitution of the United States, then you turn right around and condone banning a particular religion (Muslim) based on personal opinions.

Just what are you trying to argue here?

BTW, the 1st amendment applies only to Congress, not the States. However, States have similar wordings in their own constitutions. States have in the past established religious tests for holding office, banned certain religions, etc. Currently, no State does so.

10. #368 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Public Squares are cluttered places anyway. Why do you support the government banning a religion on a public square?

Yes, people DO have a problem with folks watching Harry Potter in their own house. I assume you aren't one of them, considering your statement.
    'Into the night' ... why do you support the government banning Scientologists?

11. #369 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I actually agree with you here. In fact, I agree with the separation of church and state. One of these days we may not get off work for Christmas...and that's OK. I entered the discussion because of this statement:

My point being that children "who do not have the capacity to make decisions for themselves" are taught a myriad of things such as hygiene, good eating habits, safety rules, etc. that parents deem to be necessary and good for the kids. For many of us parents teaching our kids about Christianity and the Bible is equally if not more important. The kids eventually have to own it and some will...some won't. But Christian parents doing their job are going to teach their kids. Evidently the fellow who posted the above is one for whom his parents' teaching didn't take.

I have stated on several occasions I don't want someone teaching my kid about the Bible and their version of Christianity at school. I don't condone a state religion and do not consider the US a "Christian" nation. By the same token, I hardly see how having a prayer before a football game is a state sponsoring anything.

At any rate, I think we agree more than we disagree at least as far as governmental involvement in religion.
    We all know that religious can convince themselves it is the right thing to do. Are you just as pleased that Islam teaches their children the Qeran and their practices? Are you OK with Scientologists taking kids away from their parents so they can really ,really work their kids brains over? Religions have been aware of the vulnerability of childredn who are being taught at schools and then taught at home. The children are not qualified to make their own decisions. But they are very easy to suck into a religion, especially when using fear and authority.

Wouldn't it be better if you wairted til they were about 18 to introduce religion? The kid would have far more experience and more self confidence to make such a huge decision.

12. #370 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

We all know that religious can convince themselves it is the right thing to do. Are you just as pleased that Islam teaches their children the Qeran and their practices? Are you OK with Scientologists taking kids away from their parents so they can really ,really work their kids brains over? Religions have been aware of the vulnerability of childredn who are being taught at schools and then taught at home. The children are not qualified to make their own decisions. But they are very easy to suck into a religion, especially when using fear and authority.

Wouldn't it be better if you wairted til they were about 18 to introduce religion? The kid would have far more experience and more self confidence to make such a huge decision.
    Yes
    Yes (Scientology is more whacked than Islam, though)
    No

13. #371 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do? I did not know that. Thanks for such a deep and intelligent response. The founders want to keep religion out of the state. You want Christianity, not religion in charge.
    If you believe in Christianity, then you believe in an omnipresent god. God is everywhere. So why do you have to stop a game to show us how well you can pray? How different is that from praying your ass off at home? It is annoying as hell . There are atheists, Muslims, Jews and others at games. They all have to wait while you make a public show of your religiosity and show us your power over other religions. They don't get to hold up a game to say prayers. It should not be allowed.
    As usual, you are wrong and unable to even understand the problem.
    That you are annoyed by a short prayer before a game, pleases me no end.
    Every life matters

14. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

MAGA MAN (03-27-2019)

15. #372 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do? I did not know that.
    I could not even begin to catalog the many things you do not know.......

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (03-27-2019)

17. #373 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So why do you have to stop a game to show us how well you can pray? How different is that from praying your ass off at home? It is annoying as hell . There are atheists, Muslims, Jews and others at games. They all have to wait while you make a public show of your religiosity and show us your power over other religions. They don't get to hold up a game to say prayers. It should not be allowed.
    no one has ever stopped a game to make everyone pray........no one has ever wanted to........you however want to make sure that anyone who might want to pray together is prevented from doing so......because that is what YOU believe.......

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (03-27-2019)

19. #374 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

the founders did not seek a religion-free government.......they sought government-free religions........

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (03-27-2019)

21. #375 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That you are annoyed by a short prayer before a game, pleases me no end.
    Oh, that is typical from a righty. That is pretty much the technique you guys use and what Trump loves.
    Pray at home, unless you think God is not there. I guess more likely at a football game where people are pounding each other into submission.