Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What part of Christianity isn't compatible with the US Constitution...

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,175 Times in 10,393 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    There is no part of the religion that wants that, that is misguided individuals. There are those in every belief system, including the atheists who think that any mention of a God anywhere publicly is somehow a "violation" even though they know it isn't.
    There is no part of the religion that wants that?

Horseshit.

2. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    There is no part of the religion that wants that?

Horseshit.
    Which verse in the Bible says anything other than to follow the laws in regard to that? Again, individuals are not the religion. Tell me a verse that supports your assertion, without it all you have is, "Boy! I don't like Christians that think that!" I get that, shoot I even agree with it I don't want my kids forced to pray to their sky daddy. But it doesn't make it incompatible with the Constitution.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Which verse in the Bible says anything other than to follow the laws in regard to that? Again, individuals are not the religion. Tell me a verse that supports your assertion, without it all you have is, "Boy! I don't like Christians that think that!" I get that, shoot I even agree with it I don't want my kids forced to pray to their sky daddy. But it doesn't make it incompatible with the Constitution.
    Let’s try this again, SLOWLY.

I never claimed a verse, did I? I claimed that certain CHRISTIANS advocate prayer in schools. Are you trying to tell us that they don’t represent their view of Christianity?

And yeah, pal, prayer in schools is incompatible with the Constitution.

4. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Let’s try this again, SLOWLY.

I never claimed a verse, did I? I claimed that certain CHRISTIANS advocate prayer in schools. Are you trying to tell us that they don’t represent their view of Christianity?

And yeah, pal, prayer in schools is incompatible with the Constitution.
    Enforced prayer led by government individuals would be incompatible with the constitution. I agree. However the religion itself has nothing in it that requires such a thing. So, some individuals have an opinion on something that you disagree with, that is not incompatible with the constitution. Just as some secular humanists, I have mentioned some examples earlier, have some opinions that are also incompatible. You get to have those. It doesn't make either belief system incompatible with the constitution.

If you read it "slowly" you may be able to understand. The Free Exercise clause pretty much makes any religion compatible with the constitution. Even ones I find stupid.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

leaningright (03-25-2019), MAGA MAN (03-23-2019)

6. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Someone should tell these six groups that they each have only one person.

https://www.salon.com/2015/04/07/6_m...nores_partner/
    only the most ignorant of lib'ruls would try to claim "Army of God" was a Christian organization......don't know much about the rest.......add them all together do you have even .000001% of Christians?.......quit wasting our time.......

7. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (03-23-2019)

8. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Earlier I mentioned a verse that warns against worship of idolatry, and how this has been interpreted by Christians as being required to forcefully convert others.
    Holy books are essentially ink blot tests that can be interpreted any way. My stance here has been that any religion could be incompatible with muh Constitution depending on how it's being interpreted.
    and that lie was duly ridiculed......

9. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

So? As a religious follower those people don't want your secular humanist beliefs doing the same. The "Christian Republic" would be a violation of the constitution as it clearly would be "regarding the establishment of religion" and it isn't anything that the Bible would tell these people to do. Basically you say that the religion is incompatible, but provide no evidence and say things like, "I don't like this." So? Is there anything in having that on the cash that tells you to follow their religion? If not, and there isn't, then it certainly isn't establishing a religion.
    Dam: "Basically you say that the religion is incompatible, but provide no evidence ..."
    Jack: Wrong. I don't say that.

Dam: "As a religious follower those people don't want your secular humanist beliefs doing the same."
    Jack: Good. I won't put my secular humanist beliefs on the Court House lawn and neither will they. They won't chant their religious intonations and neither will the secularists. They will refrain from putting a Cross on every mountain top and the secular humanists will do the same. Sounds like a deal.

10. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The founders wanted separation of church and state because religion is divisive and a danger to the union. There is no state religion and religion does not belong inside the government. What would you guys think if we had a Muslim president who insisted on Qaran readings instead of prayer breakfasts? What is every damn meeting started with a Quran reading? It would offend you Xtians and piss you off. But the rest of the country is supposed to sit quietly while you shove Christianity into every crevice?
    Trump is the first atheist president in a long time. But he has to play the religious card to keep you religious nuts on board. But it is so easy to do.

11. The Following User Groans At Nordberg For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (03-23-2019)

12. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

There isn't. Scientology may be stupid, but they have every right to the free exercise of their beliefs.
    EXACTLY.
    So, if I asked you: "What part of Scientology isn't compatible with the US Constitution..." That would be a rather stupid question, wouldn't it.
    I would be insinuating that YOU think 'Scientology isn't compatible with the Constitution' and then challenge YOU to back up this claim.

13. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    wow......are you this ignorant about things other than Christianity?......
    Here are the claims I have found from the bible. Are there any that you want to have a discussion and dispute?

1: According to the bible we were created by God and commanded to obey him and were created to glorify him.
    2: He will judge our eternal fate whether in heaven where God rules or hell and was based on our obedience and faith in him.
    3: The ancient Hebrews were commanded to commit genocide of the ancient Canaanites.
    4: They were told to commit genocide because the Canaanites worshiped other Gods.
    5: The ancient Hebrews followed a strict religious code called the Law of Moses.
    6: The leadership during this era were religious judges and leaders not a democratic republic and no constitution.
    7: Many non-violent offenses that broke the religious law were punished by death and trials were not done by jury.
    8: Believing in another religion was punished by death.
    9: The ancient Hebrews took slaves of their captives and this was coded in their religious law.
    10: Those who are not saved or died the spiritual death will go to hell which is eternal torment in a lake of fire.
    11: The punishment for sin, any sin, is hell and Jesus died to atone for this in a blood sacrifice.
    12: Those who do not have faith in Jesus will not be saved and his atonement doesn't cover them.
    13: Women were commanded to obey their husbands, should only divorce in cases of adultery, and couldn't speak or lead in churches or in religious leadership.
    14: Christians were told to obey their kings, pay their taxes, and their kings were appointed by God.
    15: Slaves were told to obey their masters and not run away.
    16: The early Christians lived in religious communes led by the apostles and church leaders, and divided everything according to their needs.

14. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    According to Christianity the universe is a big dictatorship, and we are bound to obey and worship our God because he kind of owns us. He will punish those who believe in another/no religion with eternal torment in a lake of fire for finite sins. This God set up a theocracy in ancient Israel and commanded his people to commit genocide of the locals for having other religions. People must follow a strict religious law or risk the death penalty. After Jesus, the Christians set up religious communes where everyone gave everything they earned to the church, and the church divided accordingly. These communities were led the leaders of the church and were not democracies. Christians were also commanded to obey their kings and pay their taxes because their kings were appointed by God. Slaves were also commanded not to flee their masters.

This all definitely falls perfectly in line with the constitution.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

distraff (03-23-2019)

16. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you really as stupid as you portray yourself?
    So you couldn't back up your position so again resort to ad hom. Big surprise...

17. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    So you couldn't back up your position so again resort to ad hom. Big surprise...
    Nope. I answered the question as asked. That you’re too fucking stupid to comprehend the answer is on you.

18. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by distraff View Post
    Here are the claims I have found from the bible. Are there any that you want to have a discussion and dispute?

1: According to the bible we were created by God and commanded to obey him and were created to glorify him.
    2: He will judge our eternal fate whether in heaven where God rules or hell and was based on our obedience and faith in him.
    3: The ancient Hebrews were commanded to commit genocide of the ancient Canaanites.
    4: They were told to commit genocide because the Canaanites worshiped other Gods.
    5: The ancient Hebrews followed a strict religious code called the Law of Moses.
    6: The leadership during this era were religious judges and leaders not a democratic republic and no constitution.
    7: Many non-violent offenses that broke the religious law were punished by death and trials were not done by jury.
    8: Believing in another religion was punished by death.
    9: The ancient Hebrews took slaves of their captives and this was coded in their religious law.
    10: Those who are not saved or died the spiritual death will go to hell which is eternal torment in a lake of fire.
    11: The punishment for sin, any sin, is hell and Jesus died to atone for this in a blood sacrifice.
    12: Those who do not have faith in Jesus will not be saved and his atonement doesn't cover them.
    13: Women were commanded to obey their husbands, should only divorce in cases of adultery, and couldn't speak or lead in churches or in religious leadership.
    14: Christians were told to obey their kings, pay their taxes, and their kings were appointed by God.
    15: Slaves were told to obey their masters and not run away.
    16: The early Christians lived in religious communes led by the apostles and church leaders, and divided everything according to their needs.
    2,3,4,8,13,14,and 16 are incorrect...15 ignores the fact that in the NT Paul told the slave owner to liberate his slave and treat him as a brother instead......12 doesn't mention that atonement is available to anyone who chooses it, 11 hell is the result of not accepting, 10 the exact nature of the punishment is still uncertain, 9 everyone in that era took slaves of their captives, 6 ignores the eras of the patriarchs, the kings, and the prophets.......but before we go further, I see you joined in Oct, 18.....are you an amazon refugee?......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-23-2019 at 02:25 PM.

19. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    2,3,4,8,13,14,and 16 are incorrect....but before we go further, I see you joined in Oct, 18.....are you an amazon refugee?......
    No, I have been posting in forums for a while, mostly political forums.

I will defend #14. Here is Romans 13.

1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
    2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
    3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.
    4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
    5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
    6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing.