Thread: US planning to leave 1K troops in Syria:

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker View Post
    you wanna put some Brits up there between the Turks and the Kurds?
    Funny how you don't mind US Perpetual presence but the Brits are bugging out after the ISIS mop ups .

When did I ever say the Kurds were just pawns? I have much respect for the Kurds and the Peshmerga and the YPG
    I said they are in an untenable position to get a state because of the Turks
    I haven't seen that, do you have a link?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    I haven't seen that, do you have a link?
    i could be wrong . I heard it on some news show when I heard about the US staying...Brits and France were saying they leave if US does but I haven't been able to find confirmation
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d18210bca766
    One of the principal requests the administration has made of the allies — including Germany, which has no forces in Syria — is to form an “observer” force to patrol a 20-mile-wide “safe zone” on the Syrian side of the border, separating Turkey from the Syrian Kurds.
    dammit. this is what we are going to be doing..

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

US denies report it is leaving up to 1,000 troops in Syria
    https://www.journalducameroun.com/en...oops-in-syria/
    The United States strongly denied Sunday a report that it intended to leave almost 1,000 troops in Syria, adding plans for a residual force of around 200 troops had not changed.

The Wall Street Journal had reported Sunday that as talks with Turkey, US-backed Kurdish forces and European allies have failed to produce a deal on a “safe zone” in northeastern Syria, the US now intended to keep working with Kurdish fighters in the country.

It quoted US officials as saying the plan could see up to 1,000 US forces spread across the country.

“A claim reported this evening by a major U.S. newspaper that the U.S. military is developing plans to keep nearly 1,000 U.S. troops in Syria is factually incorrect,” General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a statement.
    “There has been no change to the plan announced in February and we continue to implement the President’s direction to draw down U.S. forces to a residual presence.”

But he added the US was continuing to “conduct detailed military planning with the Turkish General Staff to address Turkish security concerns along the Turkey-Syria border.”

“We are also conducting planning with other members of the Coalition who have indicated an intent to support the transition phase of operations into Syria.”

4. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (03-18-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A small U.S. military force in eastern Syria is aiding the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which is fighting Islamic State and controls a long stretch of the border with Iraq.

A U.S. military base at Tanf in southeast Syria also sits near the Damascus-Baghdad highway, closing the main border crossing between the two countries.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mi...-idUKKCN1QZ0NY
    Syrian, Iranian, Iraqi military chiefs to meet in Damascus - the pro-Syrian government al-Watan daily reported on Monday.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker View Post
    are you out of your Somali shit hole mind??
    you WANT US to stay in Syria?? why?
    To keep the Turks from massacring the Kurds. The Turks will not invade as long as US troops are embedded in Syrian units. They cannot take the risk of even accidentally killing an American. Even a token force is of tremendous strategic utility to the PYD because it means that Turkey *cannot* attack any location in which it is embedded.
    Last edited by FUCK THE POLICE; 03-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The only alternative is for the PYD to essentially lay down before Assad and get absorbed into Assad's Syria. With US support they can get much better terms, and will be extremely useful US allies in the region. We should do everything in our power to ensure the independence of Kurdistan in Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran. Under the leadership of the PYD and the PKK. Not the cowardly, corrupt Barzani regime in Iraq.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    As I tried to point out, Erdogan and the Turks trade with the existing Iraqi Kurdistan. The same arrangement could be had with the Syrian Kurdistan (the Northern Federation/Rojava).

This is dated but shows cooperation between Turkey and Iraqi Kurdistan.
    "The Kurdistan Region has billions of proven oil reserves that export 600,000 oil barrels per day to Turkey’s Ceyhan port which is then transferred to the international oil markets."
    http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/econom...4-3b5ec8421431
    The Iraqi Kurds are corrupt and unreliable. They must go and be replaced by PYD forces.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Based Somali Lady View Post
    The Iraqi Kurds are corrupt and unreliable. They must go and be replaced by PYD forces.
    Uh, yeah. Iraqi Kurdistan is already an entity. The conversation here is 'Syrian Kurdistan', the Northern Federation, or Rojava.