Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy and Earl

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World cinema - my pick list

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I totally get that subtitles are something a lot of people do not want to deal with.

They don't bother me, and I like the sound of other languages. It is not often I get to hear Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Czech and it is kind of cool to hear them, at least to me. I also like some movies as a way to gain some linguistic skills by osmosis. Russian movies help me improve my Russian, and I am trying to up my game in French, so I have been watching some pretty good French Netflix shows!
    I don't really need the subtitles when watching German films but occasionally I miss something and it's convenient to have.

But in languages in which I have no clue I don't really miss anything with subtitles. In fact I'd rather that than dubbed in English.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wink

I am aware foreign films are not everyone's cup of tea - do not bother reading this thread if you are bored to tears with world cinema.

This thread contains my pick list

The King's Choice (Norwegian)

Based on the true story about the three dramatic days in April 1940 when the King of Norway was presented with an unimaginable ultimatum from the German armed forces: Surrender or die. After three days of desperately trying to evade the Germans, King Haakon makes his final decision. He refuses to capitulate, even if it may cost him, his family and many Norwegians their lives.

WOW, looks interesting.. Perfect for a history lover like you......

My X-gf's mom is Norwegian.. She was actually born in NJ to Norwegian parents but moved there when she was 4 & soon after the nazi's invaded........ She still hates Germans & will never forgive them.. But it wasn't all dark & scary from the eyes of a kid....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    For some reason I can't "thank" you but I wholeheartedly agree.
    I highly recommend the German movie Goodbye Lenin.

East Germany, the year 1989: A young man protests against the regime. His mother watches the police arresting him and suffers a heart attack and falls into a coma. Some months later, the DDR does not exist anymore and the mother awakes. Since she has to avoid every excitement, the son tries to set up the DDR again for her in their flat. But the world has changed a lot. Written by Benjamin Stello

And thanks to Cypress for the thread. I'll definitely make a point to watch most of these movies during this unprecedented time.

Recently watched Parasite, the S. Korean film that won the Oscar for best film. Pretty good black comedy but got effing weird at the end.
    I think that happens when so much time goes by after the post you're trying to thank.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't really need the subtitles when watching German films but occasionally I miss something and it's convenient to have.

But in languages in which I have no clue I don't really miss anything with subtitles. In fact I'd rather that than dubbed in English.
    Heh, a few months ago we decided to watch all the Harry Potter movies again. Mr. Owl put on subtitles because neither of us could figure out at times WTF they were saying due to their Brit accents. Suddenly things made more sense! lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-05-2020)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    WOW, looks interesting.. Perfect for a history lover like you......

My X-gf's mom is Norwegian.. She was actually born in NJ to Norwegian parents but moved there when she was 4 & soon after the nazi's invaded........ She still hates Germans & will never forgive them.. But it wasn't all dark & scary from the eyes of a kid....
    It is interesting to talk to people with those experiences

I give a lot of respect to nations that vigorously resisted the Nazi occupation, Norway, Poland, Russia/USSR.
    The Vichy French really piss me off.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I watch subtitles even with American and British film.

Dubbing in English is lame. I do not think dubbing is even a common practice anymore- it degrades the experience and quality of the film

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-06-2020)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Dubbing in English is lame. I do not think dubbing is even a common practice anymore- it degrades the experience and quality of the film
    When I lived in Germany the American films were dubbed in German. That was in the mid to late 1990's. Don't know if they still do that, but I agree it's lame.
    And subtitles help to learn the language.
    Most Germans I knew back then had very good English or wanted to improve their English . Very few didn't understand any.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 04-05-2020 at 09:26 AM.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Just added to my quarantine foreign movie watchlist

Red Cliff

In ancient China, the emperor of the Han Dynasty allows General Cao Cao (Fengyi Zhang) to declare war against the rebellious southern provinces, with the intention of unifying the entire country. Cao's large army quickly advances, killing civilians and soldiers alike. To resist Cao, the southern warlords form an alliance led by Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung). Outnumbered, Zhou relies upon elaborate formations and unorthodox strategies to fight against Cao's overwhelming forces

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good thread Cypress

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Cypress (04-06-2020)

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Godzilla- Japan
    Das Boot - German
    The Host - Korean
    Stalingrad - Russian
    Pinay Pie- Philippines
    Trolls - Swedish
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (04-06-2020)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Red Cliff

In ancient China, the emperor of the Han Dynasty allows General Cao Cao (Fengyi Zhang) to declare war against the rebellious southern provinces, with the intention of unifying the entire country. Cao's large army quickly advances, killing civilians and soldiers alike. To resist Cao, the southern warlords form an alliance led by Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung). Outnumbered, Zhou relies upon elaborate formations and unorthodox strategies to fight against Cao's overwhelming forces

This is the genre I watch, “Hero”, “Curse of the Golden Flower”, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”

I also love romances, “Like Water for Chocolate” is one of my favorites

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (04-06-2020)

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

I watch subtitles even with American and British film.

The only dubbing I love is the martial art spoofs. They are hilarious, “Shaolin Soccer” is one of my favorites.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (04-06-2020), Mott the Hoople (04-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-06-2020)

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    The only dubbing I love is the martial art spoofs. They are hilarious, “Shaolin Soccer” is one of my favorites.
    A good point!

There is a lot to be said for the camp factor with the kung fu movies and spaghetti westerns

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-06-2020)

21. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When I lived in Germany the American films were dubbed in German. That was in the mid to late 1990's. Don't know if they still do that, but I agree it's lame.
    And subtitles help to learn the language.
    Most Germans I knew back then had very good English or wanted to improve their English . Very few didn't understand any.
    That reminds me of a Kurdish guy where I worked a couple of decades ago. He and his family escaped from Iraq, were sponsored by an American church, and helped to come here and start a new life. He knew some basic English but his family did not. They watched American movies at home to try to learn more. He did pretty well at it except for one thing. One of the supervisors had to finally speak privately to him and tell him that certain words were inappropriate to the work place. lol

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-06-2020)

23. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    This is the genre I watch, “Hero”, “Curse of the Golden Flower”, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”

I also love romances, “Like Water for Chocolate” is one of my favorites
    I also have an affinity for good Chinese films!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-06-2020)