Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy and Earl

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: World cinema - my pick list

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,648 Times in 27,302 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default World cinema - my pick list

I am aware foreign films are not everyone's cup of tea - do not bother reading this thread if you are bored to tears with world cinema.

This thread contains my pick list

The King's Choice (Norwegian)

Based on the true story about the three dramatic days in April 1940 when the King of Norway was presented with an unimaginable ultimatum from the German armed forces: Surrender or die. After three days of desperately trying to evade the Germans, King Haakon makes his final decision. He refuses to capitulate, even if it may cost him, his family and many Norwegians their lives.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Kedi - The Cats of an Ancient City (Turkish)

Hundreds of thousands of cats roam the metropolis of Istanbul freely. For thousands of years they've wandered in and out of people's lives, becoming an essential part of the communities that make the city so rich.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Northern Line Limit (South Korean)

This movie follows the incident knows as the second battle of Yeonpyeong which happened in 2002 in Korea.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Window to Paris (Russian)

After Nikolai (Sergei Dontsov) loses his job as a music teacher, he's forced to move into a communal apartment with a family of Russian factory workers led by cheerful patriarch Gorokhov (Viktor Mikhailov). After a night of drinking with his new housemates, Nikolai stumbles upon a magic mirror in his room that teleports him from poverty-stricken St. Petersburg to beautiful Paris. But, since the portal will soon close for 20 years, Nikolai must decide whether or not to stay for good.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Foreign Movies are great for people who love to read.

Foreign movies are also good for people who are studying a foreign language.

I've enjoyed several I've seen on Netfllix- I mean read on Netflix! LOL!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Cypress (03-17-2019)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nowhere in Africa (German )

An Oscar-winning love story spanning two continents, NOWHERE IN AFRICA is the extraordinary true tale of a Jewish family who flees the Nazi regime in 1938 to a remote farm in Kenya. Abandoning their once-comfortable existence in Germany, Walter Redlich, his wife Jettel and their five-year-old daughter Regina each deal with the harsh realities of their new life in different ways. As they eventually learn to cherish their life in Africa, they also endeavor to find a way back to each other.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In the Fog (Russian)

It is 1942 and the western edge of the USSR is under German occupation. In the region, local partisans are waging a brutal battle against their foreign enemies. Sushenya, an innocent rail worker, is arrested with a band of saboteurs when a train is derailed not far from his village.

The German officer decides to set him free rather than hang him with the others, but rumors of Sushenya's treason spread quickly and partisans Burov and Voitik seek revenge. Captured by the partisans, Sushenya is led through the forest where they are ambushed. Soon he finds himself one-on-one with his wounded enemy, forced to make a moral choice under immoral circumstances.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am aware foreign films are not everyone's cup of tea - do not bother reading this thread if you are bored to tears with world cinema.

This thread contains my pick list

The King's Choice (Norwegian)

Based on the true story about the three dramatic days in April 1940 when the King of Norway was presented with an unimaginable ultimatum from the German armed forces: Surrender or die. After three days of desperately trying to evade the Germans, King Haakon makes his final decision. He refuses to capitulate, even if it may cost him, his family and many Norwegians their lives.

Looks like a powerful movie. I'm putting this on my wish list.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Northern Line Limit (South Korean)

This movie follows the incident knows as the second battle of Yeonpyeong which happened in 2002 in Korea.

I didn't know that battles continued that recently in South Korea. This movie is going on my list.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,626 Times in 9,294 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

My Long Engagement
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Fact Pro View Post
    I didn't know that battles continued that recently in South Korea. This movie is going on my list.
    I always appreciate the little cultural and historical nuggets one can get out of world cinema.

The border and naval skirmishes between North and South Korea have been occurring since the end of formal hostilities in 1953. The second battle of Yeonpyeong occurred over a disputed maritime boundary in the Yellow Sea, but the battle was kept hushed up because it occurred right as Seoul was hosting the Summer Olympic games. It is not often one sees a movie about the South Korean Navy, and I liked this one so much I actually watched it twice!

Here is my contribution today.

Ali and Nino (British)- this one was cool because I do not ever recall seeing a movie specifically about Azerbaijan. And it was really good!

A 2016 British drama romance war film based on Kurban Said's novel of the same name. The film is written by Christopher Hampton and directed by Asif Kapadia. Most of the film was shot in Azerbaijan, Turkey, Georgia and Russia. The film's cast is international, with Maria Valverde and Adam Bakri in the main roles. The film is a quest for truth and reconciliation through a diverse comparison of Islam and Christianity, East and West, age and youth, and male and female.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I recommend any of Jacques Tati's old comedies. Mr Hulot's Holiday is included in the 1000 Movies list. The great thing about Tati, is that he was a mime in the circus. As such, dialogue in his films is mostly background noise. You don't really need to understand any French to appreciate them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Cypress (03-18-2019)

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

^^ Much obliged for the intel.

I respect French cinema as an art form, but I have never been able to get into French film. It's too weird and boring to me, man!

I feel like as an educated person, I am supposed to like French films...and am supposed to have watched Kurosawa, Sergei Eisenstein, Fellini....but I just can not get into it! I assume I don't have enough class, or something!

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

^^ Much obliged for the intel.

I respect French cinema as an art form, but I have never been able to get into French film. It's too weird and boring to me, man!

I feel like as an educated person, I am supposed to like French films...and am supposed to have watched Kurosawa, Sergei Eisenstein, Fellini....but I just can not get into it! I assume I don't have enough class, or something!
    Tati was a favorite of my grandfather, and appreciation for his movies were passed to my dad and to me. I have only really watched a couple of other French films. I definitely plan to watch Kurosawa sometime. Incidentally, although I haven't seen it, Rowan Atkinson's film, The Holiday, is a reimagining of the Tati classic.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
    Tati was a favorite of my grandfather, and appreciation for his movies were passed to my dad and to me. I have only really watched a couple of other French films. I definitely plan to watch Kurosawa sometime. Incidentally, although I haven't seen it, Rowan Atkinson's film, The Holiday, is a reimagining of the Tati classic.
    I can totally respect anyone's appreciation of quality French cinema, even if French films are to boring for me to hang with. I don't know what it is about the French, but they really seem to like that "slice of life" genre of film making. Naturally, I am no expert on French film so I might be stereotyping it.
    I probably need to force myself to watch Kurosawa, if nothing else as my duty at attempting to be a well rounded human being.

I like most of the German films I have seen.
    Russian films are hit or miss. There is an element of Russian mysticism that seems to find its way some of their film which might be great art, but does not really capture my attention.
    I have seen a lot of British movies, and those tend to be right up my alley.

I recently have been watching more Korean and Chinese film - and a lot of it is pretty darn good!