Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Wolverine, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Evmetro, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, Joe Capitalist, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke, Bobb, Earl and lisasanders1964

Thread: College Admissions Scandal: Do The Students Qualify? Or Do They Have Rich Parnents..

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default College Admissions Scandal: Do The Students Qualify? Or Do They Have Rich Parnents..

Qualifying for a prestigious school can mean a life of riches and power. Some people will do everything they can to get in. Even if that includes breaking the law:

Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman among dozens charged in college bribery scheme

"Actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman were among 50 people indicted Tuesday in a widespread college admission bribery scandal. The racketeering conspiracy case includes the parents of applicants, ACT and SAT administrators, a test proctor and coaches at universities including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, University of Southern California, UCLA and the University of Texas at Austin.

Prosecutors said parents paid a college test prep organization to help students cheat, either by having stand-ins take the tests for the teenagers, or by arranging for proctors to correct answers. College coaches were also allegedly bribed to label applicants as athletic recruits.

College admissions scheme: How Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin allegedly participated

Parents charged in the alleged scheme are accused of paying an admissions consultant, William Singer, a total of $25 million between 2011 and February 2019 for the arrangement. Boston U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said at a press conference Tuesday that Singer used some of that money to bribe test administrators and college coaches.

The FBI investigation into the alleged scheme was nicknamed "Operation Varsity Blues."

A total of 33 parents were charged.

"These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege," Lelling said."

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

"Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli, the founder of clothing brand Mossimo, "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team — despite the fact that they did not participate in crew," according to prosecutors.

Lelling said coaches used slots that schools had allocated to them for athletic recruitment, and "worked with Singer, meaning they accepted bribes ... to convince everyone else internally that this was a good person for the team."

"Singer worked with the parents to fabricate impressive athletic profiles for their kids," Lelling said, adding that in some cases students faces were placed, using the image editing program Photoshop, onto the bodies of athletes."

You would think they might just do it the old fashioned way - donate big to the school's endowment.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (03-18-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,553 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The problem is these rich people are new rich. They don't know how to play the game . Trump's dad sent millions to Penn university. That is how it was done. The Kennedys all got into ivy league schools regardless of how weak the kids were in school. The Bush's got their crazed kids into the best schools. Money and power do not have to scream, they just whisper "now". The schools comply. The old money rich give endowments and provide great and powerful commencement speakers. They don't have to bribe coaches.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The problem is these rich people are new rich. They don't know how to play the game . Trump's dad sent millions to Penn university. That is how it was done. The Kennedys all got into ivy league schools regardless of how weak the kids were in school. The Bush's got their crazed kids into the best schools. Money and power do not have to scream, they just whisper "now". The schools comply. The old money rich give endowments and provide great and powerful commencement speakers. They don't have to bribe coaches.
    So true.

And you know, I have to wonder. Donald Trump's father Fred was 'new money.' He pulled every dirty trick he could think of, raised the Donald that way (That's why he is so screwed up.)

I have to wonder if Fred Trump pulled some strings to get Donald into college, and then arranged for cheating to get him a degree. The President doesn't come off like someone who had a higher education. He essentially doesn't read. I almost wonder some times if he isn't actually illiterate, and the running around making all this noise as a distraction. I don't think that's really true, but the pondering does cross my mind from time to time.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felici...man#Early_life

Early life
    Huffman was born in Bedford, New York, into a wealthy family, the daughter of Grace Valle (née Ewing; 1921–2009)[2] and Moore Peters Huffman (1910–1987), a banker and partner at Morgan Stanley.[3][4] Her parents divorced a year after her birth, and she was raised by both of them.[5][6] When she was a young teenager, she discovered that her biological father was Roger Tallman Maher, who was a family friend.[5] She has six sisters, Mariah, Betsy, Grace, Isabel, Jessie, Jane (1949–2013),[7] and a brother, Moore Jr. In the 1970s her mother left New York and bought property in Snowmass, Colorado, where Felicity and her siblings spent their youth.[8][9] Her great-grandfather was Gershom Moore Peters (1843–1919), founder of the Peters Cartridge Company and prominent Baptist minister, author of The Master.[10] Another great-grandfather, Frederick Berthold Ewing, graduated from Yale University and became a prominent St. Louis businessman. Her great-great-grandfather was Joseph Warren King (1814–1885), founder of the King Mills Powder Company.[11] She has German, English, Scots-Irish, Scottish, French-Canadian, and Irish[5] ancestry.
    Huffman attended The Putney School, a private boarding high school in Putney, Vermont, and graduated from Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan in 1981. She attended New York University, Circle in the Square Theatre School and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, England.[12][13]

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felici...man#Early_life

Early life
    Huffman was born in Bedford, New York, into a wealthy family, the daughter of Grace Valle (née Ewing; 1921–2009)[2] and Moore Peters Huffman (1910–1987), a banker and partner at Morgan Stanley.[3][4] Her parents divorced a year after her birth, and she was raised by both of them.[5][6] When she was a young teenager, she discovered that her biological father was Roger Tallman Maher, who was a family friend.[5] She has six sisters, Mariah, Betsy, Grace, Isabel, Jessie, Jane (1949–2013),[7] and a brother, Moore Jr. In the 1970s her mother left New York and bought property in Snowmass, Colorado, where Felicity and her siblings spent their youth.[8][9] Her great-grandfather was Gershom Moore Peters (1843–1919), founder of the Peters Cartridge Company and prominent Baptist minister, author of The Master.[10] Another great-grandfather, Frederick Berthold Ewing, graduated from Yale University and became a prominent St. Louis businessman. Her great-great-grandfather was Joseph Warren King (1814–1885), founder of the King Mills Powder Company.[11] She has German, English, Scots-Irish, Scottish, French-Canadian, and Irish[5] ancestry.
    Huffman attended The Putney School, a private boarding high school in Putney, Vermont, and graduated from Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan in 1981. She attended New York University, Circle in the Square Theatre School and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, England.[12][13]
    Well there goes the 'new money' theory. I guess we'll just have to chalk that one up to pure greed and cocktail party bragging rights.