Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm back home!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 94 Posts

Glad you're okay. Did you make a yellow icee cone?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    How did you stay warm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I had a full tank of gas. Even after 13.5 hours of idling I only used about 1/8th of the tank.

This why women should never be allowed to drive.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

glad you're not a statistic......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Damocles (03-15-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 94 Posts

He likely has a diesel. Diesel trucks can idle far longer than gas.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yurt For This Post:

Damocles (03-15-2019)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Glad you're okay. Did you make a yellow icee cone?
    Indeed. LOL
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Gods. How did you stay warm? Do you carry an emergency kit with water, food, blanket, etc.? How many other ppl were stuck there? Glad you're okay. Damn, that's a story for the g-kids.
    I was warm because the truck was running, I used the heat. And I had a blanket that I didn't use except when I tried to sleep. There were about 108 people at the shelter where I was at, and some at the shelter at the other side (a church in our neighborhood). I don't know the total, but there were two roads with the same issue and about the same number of cars stuck, parallel running roads about 8 miles apart CR 166 and CR 194.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-15-2019)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,093 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

OMG how awful! So glad to hear you're safe. Take the rest of the day off!

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

dammmmn when you were talking about this in the backroom i thought it was like a routine traffic jam or something. holy shit 13 hours i would have gone mental

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

For those of y'all who didn't know... There was a blizzard in my area of Colorado in which I was stuck in my truck... Whiteout conditions stopped my ability to move, then snow drifting closed around stopping freezing my truck into an inescapable trap. For 13.5 hours I sat in my truck, checking my tailpipes to make sure the snow wouldn't cause Carbon Monoxide to build up in the cabin and kill me... the National Guard finally got to me and got me out. And today, after about 10 minutes of digging with a shovel and one backhoe with a chain my truck was pulled free and I was able to drive home on the newly opened roads.

It was an adventure.

Here was the view from my truck:
    HOLY SHIT!!!! Welcome back!!! :wave:
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Damocles (03-15-2019)

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureGrind View Post
    dammmmn when you were talking about this in the backroom i thought it was like a routine traffic jam or something. holy shit 13 hours i would have gone mental
    ....gone mental?????????

:x
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I was out there from about 1 PM until 2:30 AM the following day. There were people ahead of me that I couldn't see and didn't know about that were there from 10:30 AM until even later as I was in the 2nd group they got out of there and they brought back a ton of people. When I first got to the shelter there were a total of 12 people in there, by the end of the night, as I said before, there were over 100. There were a ton of people stuck in a white out with 80 MPH winds. Some of them ran out of gas and were helped by those nearby.

My main goal was to make sure the authorities knew that I was there, knew my name, so that if they found a bunch of people but not me they knew to keep looking. I gave them GPS coordinates and told them where to find me exactly. Likely the reason I was one of the first found.

The backroom stuff I posted from my phone. I hate posting from a phone. My fat thumbs make for very short posts...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Do you carry emergency provisions? I had them in my car when I lived in Alaska!
    I'm certainly going to make a better go bag though. I figured with 36 years of driving and never stuck due to snow I was a golden boy. But when it is a true whiteout you will not be able to drive folks. Not even close. I literally had a view of white and windshield wipers... That was it. There was no moving. I moved my truck to the side of the road when I had a flash of a few feet to see in and just decided to sit and wait until I could actually see something. That opportunity did not come. Even when the snow stopped falling, supposedly, the wind still was blowing the snow around me in a whiteout. It didn't get better until 7 AM when the wind slowed down to 30 MPH... It was astounding how little one could see and when I could see the truck wouldn't move. The snow got all around and it was PACKED snow. When I got out to pee and to look at the rear of the truck I walked on top of the snow. It was as hard packed as a dirt road.

I was lucky, the drifting around my truck was like a bowl. It filled in from bottom to top, but it allowed me to open the door and walk outside. Some of the folks were literally frozen into their cars and when help came they had to dig them out so they could exit their vehicles or get them out through an open window. Imagine leaving your vehicle knowing you had opened a window to get out and that it would be filled with snow when you got back!
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Phantasmal (03-15-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-15-2019)

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gone?

lol

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm certainly going to make a better go bag though. I figured with 36 years of driving and never stuck due to snow I was a golden boy. But when it is a true whiteout you will not be able to drive folks. Not even close. I literally had a view of white and windshield wipers... That was it. There was no moving. I moved my truck to the side of the road when I had a flash of a few feet to see in and just decided to sit and wait until I could actually see something. That opportunity did not come. Even when the snow stopped falling, supposedly, the wind still was blowing the snow around me in a whiteout. It didn't get better until 7 AM when the wind slowed down to 30 MPH... It was astounding how little one could see and when I could see the truck wouldn't move. The snow got all around and it was PACKED snow. When I got out to pee and to look at the rear of the truck I walked on top of the snow. It was as hard packed as a dirt road.

I was lucky, the drifting around my truck was like a bowl. It filled in from bottom to top, but it allowed me to open the door and walk outside. Some of the folks were literally frozen into their cars and when help came they had to dig them out so they could exit their vehicles or get them out through an open window. Imagine leaving your vehicle knowing you had opened a window to get out and that it would be filled with snow when you got back!
    I can only imagine how your family felt, even knowing you were OK and just waiting.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was actually able to check them by using my backup camera. The wind created a pocket back there and there was no danger at all of buildup, which was nice. There were some people that had it much worse. One guy didn't do that and was very nearly dead when they got to him. The National Guard came out in snowcats and got us. There was about 57 or so cars stuck on the road in front of me, which was one of the reasons I had to stop. Though most of the night I couldn't see anything and may as well have been alone...
    Ahhh, the backup camera. BRRRRILIANT! I hadn't thought of that. Man 'O Manischewitz, what a harrowing experience. It could've easily turned out badly. Kudos to you for keeping your cool, and using your head. And God Bless the National Guard!
    Every life matters

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Aimée (03-15-2019), Damocles (03-15-2019), dukkha (03-15-2019), Phantasmal (03-15-2019)