Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Proud Boy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I stand with Ilhan Omar

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello anonymoose,

Here is what I understand about David Duke - from wikipedia:

"David Ernest Duke (born July 1, 1950) is a prominent American racist, white supremacist, white nationalist politician, white separatist, antisemitic conspiracy theorist, Holocaust denier, convicted felon, and former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

A former Republican Louisiana State Representative, Duke was a candidate in the Democratic presidential primaries in 1988 and the Republican presidential primaries in 1992. Duke also ran unsuccessfully for the Louisiana State Senate, United States Senate, United States House of Representatives, and for Governor of Louisiana.

In 2002, Duke pled guilty to felony fraud. Specifically, he defrauded his political supporters by pretending to be in dire financial straits, and asking them for money to help him pay for basic necessities. At the time, Duke was financially secure, and he used his supporters' money for recreational gambling.[3] He subsequently served a 15-month sentence at Federal Correctional Institution, Big Spring in Texas.[4] "

Here is what I understand about Omar - from wikipedia:

"Ilhan Abdullahi Omar (born October 4, 1981) is a Somali-American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Minnesota's 5th congressional district since 2019. The district includes all of Minneapolis and some of its suburbs.

Omar was elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2016 on the Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party line, making her the first Somali American elected to legislative office in the United States.[1] She was also the first naturalized citizen from Africa and first Somali-American elected to the United States Congress. Along with Rashida Tlaib, she was one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress and the first minority woman to serve as a U.S. representative from Minnesota.[2][3][4]

A member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, Omar has advocated for a living wage, affordable housing and healthcare, student loan debt forgiveness, the protection of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and the abolition of ICE. She has strongly opposed the immigration policies of the Trump administration, including the Trump travel ban. Omar has also been outspoken on the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, criticizing Israel's settlement policy and military campaigns in the occupied Palestinian territories, as well as pro-Israel lobbies such as AIPAC. "

Not much comparison, the way I see it. Pretty big differences between the two. Like, GLARING...

One is a racist and a convicted scoundrel, the other is respectable, and favors human rights and equality.
    Yet Duke supports Omar and you support an antisemitic congress-person. That makes you antisemitic.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,498 Times in 7,586 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Here is what I understand about David Duke - from wikipedia:

"David Ernest Duke (born July 1, 1950) is a prominent American racist, white supremacist, white nationalist politician, white separatist, antisemitic conspiracy theorist, Holocaust denier, convicted felon, and former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

A former Republican Louisiana State Representative, Duke was a candidate in the Democratic presidential primaries in 1988 and the Republican presidential primaries in 1992. Duke also ran unsuccessfully for the Louisiana State Senate, United States Senate, United States House of Representatives, and for Governor of Louisiana.

In 2002, Duke pled guilty to felony fraud. Specifically, he defrauded his political supporters by pretending to be in dire financial straits, and asking them for money to help him pay for basic necessities. At the time, Duke was financially secure, and he used his supporters' money for recreational gambling.[3] He subsequently served a 15-month sentence at Federal Correctional Institution, Big Spring in Texas.[4] "

Here is what I understand about Omar - from wikipedia:

"Ilhan Abdullahi Omar (born October 4, 1981) is a Somali-American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Minnesota's 5th congressional district since 2019. The district includes all of Minneapolis and some of its suburbs.

Omar was elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2016 on the Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party line, making her the first Somali American elected to legislative office in the United States.[1] She was also the first naturalized citizen from Africa and first Somali-American elected to the United States Congress. Along with Rashida Tlaib, she was one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress and the first minority woman to serve as a U.S. representative from Minnesota.[2][3][4]

A member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, Omar has advocated for a living wage, affordable housing and healthcare, student loan debt forgiveness, the protection of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and the abolition of ICE. She has strongly opposed the immigration policies of the Trump administration, including the Trump travel ban. Omar has also been outspoken on the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, criticizing Israel's settlement policy and military campaigns in the occupied Palestinian territories, as well as pro-Israel lobbies such as AIPAC. "

Not much comparison, the way I see it. Pretty big differences between the two. Like, GLARING...

One is a racist and a convicted scoundrel, the other is respectable, and favors human rights and equality.
    i'm not comparing the two. The differences are obvious.
    But they've both made identical statements about American Jews and done so repeatedly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (03-16-2019), Sailor (03-16-2019)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,716 Times in 27,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Yet Duke supports Omar and you support an antisemitic congress-person. That makes you antisemitic.
    David Duke is a Republican, he ran for congress as a Republican, and he supports Donald Trumpf.

Your Party. David Duke belongs to it.

So that makes you a racist.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    i'm not comparing the two. The differences are obvious.
    But they've both made identical statements about American Jews and done so repeatedly.
    No they have not.

Anyone who believes they have is mistaken.

Criticism does not equal anti-Semitism.

Israel is not perfect, nor is Israel above fair criticism.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This baloney about how Israel cannot be criticized smacks of the same baloney about how the USA cannot be criticized.

Nationalism is head-in-sandism.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    David Duke is a Republican, he ran for congress as a Republican, and he supports Donald Trumpf.

Your Party. David Duke belongs to it.

So that makes you a racist.
    Yet the republican party condemns Duke.
    Dims support and embrace Omar for making identical statements as Duke, and doing it repeatedly.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 03-16-2019 at 10:36 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (03-16-2019), Sailor (03-16-2019), Stretch (03-16-2019)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

No they have not.

Anyone who believes they have is mistaken.

Criticism does not equal anti-Semitism.

Israel is not perfect, nor is Israel above fair criticism.
    Deflection.
    The statements I'm referring to were about American Jews, not Israel.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (03-16-2019)

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Deflection.
    The statements I'm referring to were about American Jews, not Israel.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Please feel free to post any actual quotes from Duke and Omar to show what you claim, that: "they have made identical statements."

You've made your stand on this claim. Now it's time to back it up.

If you can't back it up, then you are standing on nothing.

And nothing is exactly what Omar has said wrong.

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,837 Times in 17,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Yet the republican party condemns Duke.
    Dims support and embrace Omar for making identical statements as Duke, and doing it repeatedly.
    yeah, sure the Repubs and Trump condemn Duke. ..in public. We know what they really think. Duke is mainstream republican.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    yeah, sure the Repubs and Trump condemn Duke. ..in public. We know what they really think. Duke is mainstream republican.
    I'll give dims credit - they are an open book with their hate. No hypocrisy .

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

dukkha (03-16-2019), Earl (03-16-2019), Sailor (03-16-2019)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Please feel free to post any actual quotes from Duke and Omar to show what you claim, that: "they have made identical statements."

You've made your stand on this claim. Now it's time to back it up.

If you can't back it up, then you are standing on nothing.

And nothing is exactly what Omar has said wrong.
    ”The Benjamins.”
    I am fairly certain that you know what that references.It wasn’t just a criticism. It was anti-Semitic.

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

“”The Benjamins.”
    I am fairly certain that you know what that references.It wasn’t just a criticism. It was anti-Semitic.
    It's All About the Benjamins" is a song by American rapper and producer Puff Daddy. ... "Benjamins" is slang for $100 bills (USD), a reference to Benjamin Franklin's image on the bills. The Notorious B.I.G. used the slang on his debut album "Ready To Die".

It's All About the Benjamins - Wikipedia

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Everyone knows the song. The song is about money. The tweet was about Jews and money. Maybe we need to offer a refresher on all the inappropriate Jews and money jokes we heard as a kid to reinforce why the tweet is considered anti-semetic (along with her other comments)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Earl (03-16-2019)

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

“”The Benjamins.”
    They all play fucking stupid when it comes to Democrats. Here is an interesting take on this from a very long term Democrat and one of Jewish faith. Rahm Emanuel. Not surprisingly it is in the Atlantic, one of the most left leaning publications out there. I post it in it's entirety. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...emitic/584314/

I’ve Faced the Charge of Dual Loyalty

It was anti-Semitic then, and it’s anti-Semitic now.
    Mar 7, 2019
    Rahm Emanuel
    44th mayor of Chicago

I’m all for new voices in the U.S. Congress. But lately, some of those new voices have been voicing some very old canards.

I’m talking about Representative Ilhan Omar, one of the newly elected Democrats who populate the 116th Congress. Omar has attracted much news coverage, and the condemnation of most of her fellow Democrats, for promoting some ugly tropes about Jews.

First, when questioning long-standing congressional support for Israel, she blamed the campaign money provided by pro-Israel supporters. “It’s all about the Benjamins, baby,” she tweeted.

After apologizing for that comment and acknowledging her need to be “educated,” she followed with another tweet, questioning the “allegiance” of supporters of Israel, intimating that we place the concerns of Israel above those of the country that we call home.

No one is questioning the right of members of Congress and others to criticize Israeli policies. But Omar is crossing a line that should not be crossed in political discourse. Her remarks are not anti-Israel; they are anti-Semitic.

Read: Ilhan Omar just made it harder to have a nuanced debate about Israel

Whether consciously or not, Representative Omar is repeating some of the ugliest stereotypes about Jews—tropes that have been unleashed by anti-Semites throughout history. She is casting Jewish Americans as the other, suggesting a dual loyalty that calls our devotion to America into question.

Maybe I’m sensitive to this charge of dual allegiance because it’s been wielded against me in some of my political campaigns. I’ve been accused of actually being a citizen of Israel. (That’s not true, although my father was an Israeli immigrant to the United States.) In 2002, well before Donald Trump and other “birthers” questioned Barack Obama’s citizenship, I had to produce my U.S. birth certificate in my first run for Congress to disprove false assertions about my background and loyalties.

But it’s not just me who’s been subject to questions of dual loyalty. For centuries, this trope has been aimed at Jews in countries around the world. In embracing it, Omar is associating herself with calamities from the Spanish Inquisition to the Russian pogroms to the Holocaust. That’s not historical company that any American should want to keep.

One doesn’t have to be Jewish to recognize the deep and abiding relationship between the United States and Israel. Yes, there might be serious problems with Israel’s democracy—just as we’re currently experiencing our own. But Israel shares fundamental values with the United States that most of its neighbors have never embraced.

In Israel, women can vote and serve in the armed forces. So can members of the LGBTQ community. Its Arab citizens can vote, form political parties, and serve in the Israeli Parliament. And Israeli women can drive—just as badly as the rest of the population.

As for Jewish Americans who support Israel as a friend and ally of the United States, we do so because we recognize the commonality of our values and national interests. And many of us don’t hesitate to criticize Israel when its policies are wrong—or to champion American interests when they come into tension with Israeli goals.

On my very first day after leaving Bill Clinton’s administration as his senior adviser in October 1998, I received a call at 5 a.m. from the president. He was at the Wye Plantation in Maryland, where he was hosting a summit meeting between Israel and the Palestinian Authority. The president was frantic that the summit would collapse if he didn’t release Jonathan Pollard, a U.S. intelligence analyst who had delivered sensitive state secrets to Israel, as Benjamin Netanyahu was demanding.

Clinton was getting conflicting advice from his political and national-security teams. Some members of the political team thought Pollard’s release was a small price to pay for a successful agreement. But members of his national-security team were strongly opposed because of the serious level of the security breach that Pollard had orchestrated.

I told Clinton not to give in on Pollard’s release, believing that Netanyahu needed the agreement more than he did. The president followed that advice, and Netanyahu ultimately signed the Wye River Memorandum.

Later, during my service as White House chief of staff in the Obama administration, I spoke out strongly against Netanyahu’s policy of expanding Israeli settlements in the Palestinian territories. For my troubles, Netanyahu labeled me (along with the presidential adviser David Axelrod) a “self-hating Jew.”

My allegiance to this country wasn’t in question then. And it shouldn’t be now—nor should that of other American Jews. That would be just as wrong as suggesting that all Muslims are potential terrorists and should be banned from entering this country. What president would possibly embrace such an un-American position—until the current one?

As mayor of Chicago, I denounced Trump for his anti-Muslim policies. I worked to make Chicago a welcoming city to Americans of all backgrounds, creating the Office of New Americans to help immigrants and refugees in my city, which has been a gateway for immigrants to the United States for generations. I appointed Seemi Choudry, herself the daughter of Pakistani immigrants, to lead that effort.

I often say that only in America could the son and grandson of immigrants become the chief of staff to the president and the mayor of one of its largest cities. I fully expect Muslim Americans to follow this well-trod path, as we’re witnessing already with the election of candidates like Ilhan Omar to Congress.

No doubt, such candidates will have to overcome allegations of dual loyalty and of taking campaign contributions from fellow Muslims with nefarious goals in mind. And when they face such claims, Jewish Americans like me will come to their defense—because we know the pain and potential damage of these bigoted stereotypes. It’s time for Omar to learn that lesson.

20. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    It's All About the Benjamins" is a song by American rapper and producer Puff Daddy. ... "Benjamins" is slang for $100 bills (USD), a reference to Benjamin Franklin's image on the bills. The Notorious B.I.G. used the slang on his debut album "Ready To Die".

It's All About the Benjamins - Wikipedia

The context of the quote “it’s all about the Benjamins” was referencing Jews. Stop playing dumb...or are you not playing?