Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Congresswoman allows terrorist group in her office

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    You post shit like this all the time and you're so "shocked" and "appalled" that someone actually goes out and does what you fucking call for every fucking day you fucking monster. You killed that little girl. Blow your worthless brain out you mindless savage.
    Cry harder, Watermark - or better yet, post another online threat that the feds can ask you about - again.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

That little girl won't ever get elected to any higher office ILA, congrats right? Piece of fucking shit animal you are. You subhuman garbage.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I'm not sure that's correct.
    Sure it is. You are imposing a religious test by excluding anyone because of their religion. Could you ban both Muslims and Christians?

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    That little girl won't ever get elected to any higher office ILA, congrats right? Piece of fucking shit animal you are. You subhuman garbage.
    Keep crying, Watermark. I bathe frolicsomely in your tears.

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Sure it is.
    Can you cite any pertinent cases that support that interpretation?

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Can you cite any pertinent cases that support that interpretation?
    No. There has been only one case I am aware of that deals with that provision. The original interpretation was that it only applied to federal offices. But the case of Torcaso v. Watkins (1961) extended it to the states. It also said "Not even a simple profession of belief in God could be required."

That doesn't deal with the specific issue of excluding any religion, but other issues would also prohibit such action. For example, where does Congress get the constitutional power to determine who is qualified to hold public office? Conservatives such as yourself usually oppose giving the government power not specifically enumerated.

Congress cannot add additional requirements to things listed in the Constitution (Marbury v. Madison). For example, the are no requirements for being a Supreme Court justice. It is doubtful Congress could add any requirements (citizenship, age).

The federal government must follow the equal protection doctrine of the 14th Amendment. If states and the federal government cannot discriminate on the basis of of race, gender, etc. it cannot discriminate on the basis of religion (1st Amendment and Washington v. Trump).

https://www.heritage.org/constitutio...religious-test

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No. There has been only one case I am aware of that deals with that provision. The original interpretation was that it only applied to federal offices. But the case of Torcaso v. Watkins (1961) extended it to the states. It also said "Not even a simple profession of belief in God could be required."

That doesn't deal with the specific issue of excluding any religion, but other issues would also prohibit such action. For example, where does Congress get the constitutional power to determine who is qualified to hold public office? Conservatives such as yourself usually oppose giving the government power not specifically enumerated.

Congress cannot add additional requirements to things listed in the Constitution (Marbury v. Madison). For example, the are no requirements for being a Supreme Court justice. It is doubtful Congress could add any requirements (citizenship, age).

The federal government must follow the equal protection doctrine of the 14th Amendment. If states and the federal government cannot discriminate on the basis of of race, gender, etc. it cannot discriminate on the basis of religion (1st Amendment and Washington v. Trump).

https://www.heritage.org/constitutio...religious-test

I didn't say that Congress should exclude Muslims from public office.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I didn't say that Congress should exclude Muslims from public office.
    If a person advocates excluding Muslims from holding office (I Love America), Congress would have to pass such a law or propose an amendment to make that happen.

How else could it be done?

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If a person advocates excluding Muslims from holding office (I Love America), Congress would have to pass such a law or propose an amendment to make that happen. How else could it be done?
    By a Constitutional amendment. Theoretically Congress could propose an amendment with a 2/3 majority in both houses, or 2/3 of the state legislatures could convene a constitutional convention.

Neither scenario is likely, IMO.

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

By a Constitutional amendment. Theoretically Congress could propose an amendment with a 2/3 majority in both houses, or 2/3 of the state legislatures could convene a constitutional convention.

Neither scenario is likely, IMO.
    I hope not. We don't need a constitution that allows discrimination based on religion because some don't know the difference between Islam and Islamists.