Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: In the Garden of Beasts

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    12,546
    Thanks
    6,248
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 3,765 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 451 Times in 436 Posts

    Default In the Garden of Beasts

    I’m belatedly reading the best seller, In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson. It is a story about the American ambassador to Germany (and his family) during the time of Hitler's rise to power.

    Everyone who has not read it…should read it right now.

    The similarity between German during the 1930’s and America today are remarkable…and the similarities between the way Trump acts with how Adolf Hitler acted…is even more remarkable.

    We may be in even more trouble than I’ve been thinking, because the typical Hitler supporter didn’t appear to be as ignorant, naďve, or devoted as Trump’s puppets are to him. If Hitler was able to prosper with his following…Trump, with the sheepish morons boosting him, should be dictator by 2020.

    Damn!

    I guess I'd better clean up my act.

    Hummm...so what can I say nice about that guy?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    evince (03-08-2019), kudzu (03-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-08-2019)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    14,865
    Thanks
    31,742
    Thanked 11,844 Times in 7,329 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 739 Times in 713 Posts

    Default

    "I, for one, welcome our glorious orange leader?" lol

    I will have to check that book out. Thanks, Frank.

    ETA: Just ordered it from Amazon.

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    12,546
    Thanks
    6,248
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 3,765 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 451 Times in 436 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    "I, for one, welcome our glorious orange leader?" lol

    I will have to check that book out. Thanks, Frank.

    ETA: Just ordered it from Amazon.
    I think you will enjoy it. Larson tells true stories in a way that makes it seem like a novel. His story about Titanic, Dead Wake, was a page turner.

    But be prepared to be scared...because the similarities are AMAZING.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (03-08-2019)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    7,174
    Thanks
    1,078
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,526 Posts
    Groans
    892
    Groaned 192 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I’m belatedly reading the best seller, In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson. It is a story about the American ambassador to Germany (and his family) during the time of Hitler's rise to power.

    Everyone who has not read it…should read it right now.

    The similarity between German during the 1930’s and America today are remarkable…and the similarities between the way Trump acts with how Adolf Hitler acted…is even more remarkable.

    We may be in even more trouble than I’ve been thinking, because the typical Hitler supporter didn’t appear to be as ignorant, naďve, or devoted as Trump’s puppets are to him. If Hitler was able to prosper with his following…Trump, with the sheepish morons boosting him, should be dictator by 2020.

    Damn!

    I guess I'd better clean up my act.

    Hummm...so what can I say nice about that guy?
    Frank
    You know I dislike Trump but to compare Germany of the 30's and Hitler's rise to power to the US of today is ludicrous. The collapse of the US stock market in 1929 created a world wide depression. Germany suffered not only from the effects of it's WWI surrender terms, run away inflation, the collapse of it's industrial base causing 1 out of every 3 Germans to be unemployed, and not the least was "weaknesses of Weimar democracy and the strengths of the Nazi party."
    https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zwmdfrd/revision/1

    None of which occurs today in the US. So Trump may be an EGO maniac like Hitler but he is chained by US law.

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

    Default

    our system is strong enough


    our people are strong enough


    but sadly his brain dead followers will kill Americans once trump goes down


    I wish it were not true but it is


    crazed old white men who have mountains of guns are going to KILL PEOPLE

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Frank
    You know I dislike Trump but to compare Germany of the 30's and Hitler's rise to power to the US of today is ludicrous. The collapse of the US stock market in 1929 created a world wide depression. Germany suffered not only from the effects of it's WWI surrender terms, run away inflation, the collapse of it's industrial base causing 1 out of every 3 Germans to be unemployed, and not the least was "weaknesses of Weimar democracy and the strengths of the Nazi party."
    https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zwmdfrd/revision/1

    None of which occurs today in the US. So Trump may be an EGO maniac like Hitler but he is chained by US law.
    wow

    that was sane


    since when have you hated trump


    You are usually backing the stupid

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (03-08-2019)

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    12,546
    Thanks
    6,248
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 3,765 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 451 Times in 436 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Frank
    You know I dislike Trump but to compare Germany of the 30's and Hitler's rise to power to the US of today is ludicrous. The collapse of the US stock market in 1929 created a world wide depression. Germany suffered not only from the effects of it's WWI surrender terms, run away inflation, the collapse of it's industrial base causing 1 out of every 3 Germans to be unemployed, and not the least was "weaknesses of Weimar democracy and the strengths of the Nazi party."
    https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zwmdfrd/revision/1

    None of which occurs today in the US. So Trump may be an EGO maniac like Hitler but he is chained by US law.
    Okay...Trump is chained by US law...and now we have jets and the Internet and man-made satellites circling our planet...so things ARE different.

    But the similarities in political style and substance are AMAZING.

    Don't for one second think the United States is immune from becoming a dictatorship.

    NO COUNTRY IS.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    evince (03-08-2019), kudzu (03-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (03-08-2019)

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Okay...Trump is chained by US law...and now we have jets and the Internet and man-made satellites circling our planet...so things ARE different.

    But the similarities in political style and substance are AMAZING.

    Don't for one second think the United States is immune from becoming a dictatorship.

    NO COUNTRY IS.
    has grumpy ever dissed trump?

    Ive never seen it

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (03-08-2019)

  14. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    12,546
    Thanks
    6,248
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 3,765 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 451 Times in 436 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    has grumpy ever dissed trump?

    Ive never seen it
    Trump definitely is not one of Grumpy's favorite people. He's mentioned it several times.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

    evince (03-08-2019)

  16. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    7,174
    Thanks
    1,078
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,526 Posts
    Groans
    892
    Groaned 192 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Okay...Trump is chained by US law...and now we have jets and the Internet and man-made satellites circling our planet...so things ARE different.

    But the similarities in political style and substance are AMAZING.

    Don't for one second think the United States is immune from becoming a dictatorship.

    NO COUNTRY IS.
    Considering how Americans love their freedoms it would be next to impossible for a dictatorship here. Could it happen of course it could and a giant asteroid could hit earth and wipe out all life. But the odds are astronomical.

  17. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

  18. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Considering how Americans love their freedoms it would be next to impossible for a dictatorship here. Could it happen of course it could and a giant asteroid could hit earth and wipe out all life. But the odds are astronomical.
    but republicans for decades now have cheated in elections to destroy our freedoms

    why would you heave in with them?

  19. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    7,174
    Thanks
    1,078
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,526 Posts
    Groans
    892
    Groaned 192 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Trump definitely is not one of Grumpy's favorite people. He's mentioned it several times.
    Thanks Frank

  20. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

  21. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110,130
    Thanks
    29,504
    Thanked 16,805 Times in 13,113 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,014 Times in 11,204 Posts

    Default

    It blows my mind that people refuse to face the facts that the republican party hates democracy


    the republicans are always TRASHING the word its self


    Their economic ideas always fail to produce what they claim

    yet people want to do them OVER and OVER and OVER


    cons are soooo obedient to their masters


    how can you hate trump and then defend the ideas

Similar Threads

  1. Garden...
    By leaningright in forum Sports, Hobbies & Pictures
    Replies: 537
    Last Post: 03-19-2019, 05:33 AM
  2. My Worst Garden Pest Ever--A Retired Neighbor
    By Irish Exit in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-25-2018, 10:01 PM
  3. The beasts of the east
    By Timshel in forum Sports, Hobbies & Pictures
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
  4. Has anybody tried Open Garden for Android?
    By Havana Moon in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
  5. Beasts of the East
    By Timshel in forum Sports, Hobbies & Pictures
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •