Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Ones Challenge

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default Hot Ones Challenge

Is anyone here a fan of Sean Evans Youtube program "Hot Ones"?

For those who haven't seen it Hot Ones is an interview program where a guest celebrity in interviewed by the host Sean Evans. As he interviews his guest they eat 10 hot wings. Each wing gets progressively hotter. He usually starts out with a mild hot sauce like Frank's Original hot sauce (about 500 Scoville unites) and progressively gets hotter with each wing till you get to the tenth wing which is sauced with their own hot sauce "the last dab" which has a Scoville rating of around 2 million.

As the guest eats a wing Sean asks them a question and though Sean is a very good interviewer the guest usually give canned responses as most are pretty media savy. Once he gets to the halfway point the wings are sauced at around 250,000 SHU and getting hotter and that changes the entire complexion of the interview as the guest begin to suffer pain and drop their guard and their responses to questions become more and more original...if they can respond at all.

Most of the guest clear the board of wings but a few, probably wisely, toss in the towel. What is a bit surprising to me is that the women guest very often better at dealing with very spicy hot foods then the men. Rachel Ray, for example, didn't even eat the wings. She mainlined them (program jargon for eating a teaspoon of unadulterated sauce. Even when she did a teaspoon of The Last Dab she was kinda....meh...that's hot...when pretty much eveyone else would be dying.

So anyway I decided to do my own Hot Ones challenge at home. Except I didn't purchase the sauces they used for Hot Ones. I basically went shopping around local stores and bought hot sauces that, supposedly, climb the SHU (Scoville Heat Unit) scale. So I got my 10 sauces and did the challenge...I only consider myself middle of the road when it comes to handling head....and much to my surprise I breezed through the board. The only one that gave me a problem was the Kick Ass Carolina Reaper Sauce rated at 1.5 million SHU....but even then it was tolerable...it burned for about 5 to 10 minutes but it was manageable.

So this is a question for you Pepper Heads out there. I'll list my line up and want your feed back if you know about any of these as I feel there may be a lack of truth in advertising as these sauces just didn't seam to be as hot as advertised. So if you could give some feedback to my progressive line up and let me know if you think the advertised SHU rating is legit.

#1. Franks' Original ( around 500 SHU)
    #2 Chulola Hot Sauce (around 1000 SHU)
    #3. Sriracha (around 2000 SHU)
    #4. Tobasco (around 3000 SHU)
    #5. Crystal (around 5000)
    #6. Melinda's Exxxtra Hot Habenaro Sauce (between 50,000 and 250,000 SHU....I lean towards the 50,000 or less based on my tasting).
    #7. Melinda's Red Savina Sauce (advertising states that it has been officially tested at over 500,000 SHU).
    #8. Scotty O'Hotty Ghost Pepper Sauce (rated at around 800,000 SHU).
    #9. Melinda's Naga Jolokia ( rated around 1,000,000 SHU)
    #10. Ass Kicking Carolina Reaper Sauce (rated around 1,500,000)

So being middle of the road and the fact that I didn't feel much of anything in pain I was wondering if I did something wrong. I basically fried my wings and added just enough sauce to get full coverage and then ate them.

You're review and recomendations on my list are welcome. I kid you not the only one that caused me any significant pain was #10.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

hottest hot sauce I think I have had is daves insanity ghost pepper, which I handle pretty easily. I am pretty good with spicy food.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by DeepGrind View Post
    hottest hot sauce I think I have had is daves insanity ghost pepper, which I handle pretty easily. I am pretty good with spicy food.
    Dave's is rated with #6 on my list. I had no problem with that one. The Ass Kicking Carolina Reaper Sauce is rated at 5 to 10 times hotter than Dave's. Probably closer to 10.

https://www.hotsauce.com/daves-hotte...ces-gift-set/\

https://www.hotsauce.com/melindas-xxxtra-hot-hot-sauce/

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

nice man, nice. There is a hot sauce shop near me. Maybe I'll buy your top 3 hottest and do the mott challenge.

---

Grind is basically right

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm wondering if the progressive nature of the challenge dims the pain as you go up the heat scale?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I bought these all at a combination of Krogers, Giant/Eagle (local chain super market) and Whole Foods with the exception of #10 which I bought at World Markets. Also ask them at the hot sauce shop my question on the truth in advertising as I was amazed that I went through #6, #7, #8 and#9 with noproblems at all. It essentially took 1 tsp of hot sauce to give a wing full coverage and I ate the entire wing(s).

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm wondering if the progressive nature of the challenge dims the pain as you go up the heat scale?
    in my opinion, no. tabasco isn't going to set you up for something way hotter.

---

Grind is basically right

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

in my opinion, no. tabasco isn't going to set you up for something way hotter.
    That's why I question the SHU rating on a lot of these. After Tabasco it was like each step up, with the exception of #10, just got a little hotter but nothing major. I honestly don't think I'm that good at hot peppers cause I ate a small slice of a Habenaro once and I liked to have died.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's why I question the SHU rating on a lot of these. After Tabasco it was like each step up, with the exception of #10, just got a little hotter but nothing major. I honestly don't think I'm that good at hot peppers cause I ate a small slice of a Habenaro once and I liked to have died.
    it's like anything, the more spicy food you eat, the more you get used to it. I think the science behind it is that the taste buds that detect capascian (can't spell right now) on your tongue actually get killed/numbed so you need more to get that nice spicy buzz.

however one thing I can say is that hot sauces do not compare to the peppers they are made from. Like I did the ghost pepper sauce no issue, but I havne't tried the pepper itself yet which I have heard is much hotter than the sauce

---

Grind is basically right

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's why I question the SHU rating on a lot of these.
    Is that listed on all the hot sauce labels?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow Moot you are so lame. I thought this thread would be pictures of hot women.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-01-2019)

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,562 Times in 52,767 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

nice man, nice. There is a hot sauce shop near me. Maybe I'll buy your top 3 hottest and do the mott challenge.
    Please appoint a successor to your throne first.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,424 Times in 16,412 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

For those who haven't seen it Hot Ones is an interview program where a guest celebrity in interviewed by the host Sean Evans. As he interviews his guest they eat 10 hot wings. Each wing gets progressively hotter. He usually starts out with a mild hot sauce like Frank's Original hot sauce (about 500 Scoville unites) and progressively gets hotter with each wing till you get to the tenth wing which is sauced with their own hot sauce "the last dab" which has a Scoville rating of around 2 million.

As the guest eats a wing Sean asks them a question and though Sean is a very good interviewer the guest usually give canned responses as most are pretty media savy. Once he gets to the halfway point the wings are sauced at around 250,000 SHU and getting hotter and that changes the entire complexion of the interview as the guest begin to suffer pain and drop their guard and their responses to questions become more and more original...if they can respond at all.

Most of the guest clear the board of wings but a few, probably wisely, toss in the towel. What is a bit surprising to me is that the women guest very often better at dealing with very spicy hot foods then the men. Rachel Ray, for example, didn't even eat the wings. She mainlined them (program jargon for eating a teaspoon of unadulterated sauce. Even when she did a teaspoon of The Last Dab she was kinda....meh...that's hot...when pretty much eveyone else would be dying.

So anyway I decided to do my own Hot Ones challenge at home. Except I didn't purchase the sauces they used for Hot Ones. I basically went shopping around local stores and bought hot sauces that, supposedly, climb the SHU (Scoville Heat Unit) scale. So I got my 10 sauces and did the challenge...I only consider myself middle of the road when it comes to handling head....and much to my surprise I breezed through the board. The only one that gave me a problem was the Kick Ass Carolina Reaper Sauce rated at 1.5 million SHU....but even then it was tolerable...it burned for about 5 to 10 minutes but it was manageable.

So this is a question for you Pepper Heads out there. I'll list my line up and want your feed back if you know about any of these as I feel there may be a lack of truth in advertising as these sauces just didn't seam to be as hot as advertised. So if you could give some feedback to my progressive line up and let me know if you think the advertised SHU rating is legit.

#6. Melinda's Exxxtra Hot Habenaro Sauce (between 50,000 and 250,000 SHU....I lean towards the 50,000 or less based on my tasting).
    #7. Melinda's Red Savina Sauce (advertising states that it has been officially tested at over 500,000 SHU).

So being middle of the road and the fact that I didn't feel much of anything in pain I was wondering if I did something wrong. I basically fried my wings and added just enough sauce to get full coverage and then ate them.

You're review and recomendations on my list are welcome. I kid you not the only one that caused me any significant pain was #10.
    Ever been to CaJohns?

North Market...you can sample anything...
    Want to light up?
    Black Mamba, Reapers Sling Blade, Leviathan, Vicious Viper... Many with less heat, though...
    If we buy it and don't make it, this is the Only place to go
    (we do like your first two choices

Haven't see 'the Youtube...I'll check it out

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Please appoint a successor to your throne first.
    i dub you next in line

---

Grind is basically right

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is one of the only hot sauces so far, that really singed.