Members banned from this thread: Cypress, evince, moon, domer76, Nomad, Micawber, ThatOwlWoman, Jade Dragon, Guno צְבִי and reagansghost

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New research finds methane virtually irrelevant as a greenhouse gas

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    You thanked it, liar.
    It's back!!

2. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Nomad (02-23-2019)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Here is a very important point regarding IR absorbtion by CH4, both of the bands occur at wavelengths where H2O is already absorbing substantially. Hence, any potential absorbtion by CH4 has already been absorbed by H2O. The ratio of the percentages of water to methane is such that the effect of CH4 is completely masked by H2O. Not that climate alarmists will ever tell you that though.

See the chart below to understand the concept better. It shows how six different gases absorb radiation across the infrared spectrum from 1 to 16 microns (μm). The vertical scale is inverted: 100% absorption is low, and 0% absorption (i.e., transparency) is high.

methane_absorption_spectra.jpg
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 02-23-2019 at 02:04 PM.

4. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Nomad (02-23-2019)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cool

Without any historical perspective, how can many young people have any chance to filter out climate propaganda? How would Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez know any better? She is just a baby who has heard nothing but propaganda for her entire short life.

The only way to know if climate is getting more extreme is to compare current weather with past weather. Politics should never intrude, but sadly outrageous claims are being made all the time that heatwaves, fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, sea level rise, earthquakes are increasing.

This is nothing new sadly, every generation imagines they live in the most extreme climate ever, and have experts and statistics to prove it. Luckily influential people like Bill Gates get it, hopefully people like him will prevail against rampant climate alarmism

Solar is only during the day, solar only works best in places where it’s warm. There’s no battery technology that’s even close to allowing us to take all of our energy from renewables and be able to use battery storage in order to deal not only with the 24-hour cycle but also with long periods of time where it’s cloudy and you don’t have sun or you don’t have wind. Power is about reliability. We need to get something that works reliably.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 02-23-2019 at 06:14 PM.

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A well balanced and fair article from the American Chemical Society.

It’s true that water vapor is the largest contributor to the Earth’s greenhouse effect. On average, it probably accounts for about 60% of the warming effect. However, water vapor does not control the Earth’s temperature, but is instead controlled by the temperature. This is because the temperature of the surrounding atmosphere limits the maximum amount of water vapor the atmosphere can contain. If a volume of air contains its maximum amount of water vapor and the temperature is decreased, some of the water vapor will condense to form liquid water. This is why clouds form as warm air containing water vapor rises and cools at higher altitudes where the water condenses to the tiny droplets that make up clouds.

The greenhouse effect that has maintained the Earth’s temperature at a level warm enough for human civilization to develop over the past several millennia is controlled by non-condensable gases, mainly carbon dioxide, CO2, with smaller contributions from methane, CH4, nitrous oxide, N2O, and ozone, O3. Since the middle of the 20th century, small amounts of man-made gases, mostly chlorine- and fluorine-containing solvents and refrigerants, have been added to the mix. Because these gases are not condensable at atmospheric temperatures and pressures, the atmosphere can pack in much more of these gases . Thus, CO2 (as well as CH4, N2O, and O3) has been building up in the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution when we began burning large amounts of fossil fuel.

If there had been no increase in the amounts of non-condensable greenhouse gases, the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere would not have changed with all other variables remaining the same. The addition of the non-condensable gases causes the temperature to increase and this leads to an increase in water vapor that further increases the temperature. This is an example of a positive feedback effect. The warming due to increasing non-condensable gases causes more water vapor to enter the atmosphere, which adds to the effect of the non-condensables.

There is also a possibility that adding more water vapor to the atmosphere could produce a negative feedback effect. This could happen if more water vapor leads to more cloud formation. Clouds reflect sunlight and reduce the amount of energy that reaches the Earth’s surface to warm it. If the amount of solar warming decreases, then the temperature of the Earth would decrease. In that case, the effect of adding more water vapor would be cooling rather than warming. But cloud cover does mean more condensed water in the atmosphere, making for a stronger greenhouse effect than non-condensed water vapor alone – it is warmer on a cloudy winter day than on a clear one. Thus the possible positive and negative feedbacks associated with increased water vapor and cloud formation can cancel one another out and complicate matters. The actual balance between them is an active area of climate science research.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/c...t-the-co2.html

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Very interesting article from the left leaning Independent.

COULD COWS HELP REVERSE THE EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8202121.html

8. #36 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    It is actually relatively easy to change a cows diet to inhibit methane production, one way is add seaweed to their diet.

https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a8368911.html
    Maybe they won't like seaweed. I doubt I would. And wouldn't that also change the flavor of steak? I don't think I could take the taste of seaweed in a good sirloin.
    Not to mention it would be harder for farmers to grow seaweed than the grains they feed cattle now. And then there's seaweed flavored milk...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Maybe they won't like seaweed. I doubt I would. And wouldn't that also change the flavor of steak? I don't think I could take the taste of seaweed in a good sirloin.
    Not to mention it would be harder for farmers to grow seaweed than the grains they feed cattle now. And then there's seaweed flavored milk...
    It says in the article that only a small amount of marine algae is required. There is a breed of sheep on the island of North Ronaldsway that eat nothing but seaweed and their meat is highly prized.

http://www.theorkneysheepfoundation.org.uk/the-meat/
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 02-24-2019 at 03:37 AM.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It says in the article that only a small amount of marine algae is required. There is a breed of sheep on the island of North Ronaldsway that eat nothing but seaweed and their meat is highly prized.

http://www.theorkneysheepfoundation.org.uk/the-meat/
    I don't know, I'm just taking this whole thing kinda whimsical because of that idiot AOC and her green deal or whatever it is.
    It's funny though, the left has been blaming cow farts for the coming "end-of-the-world" for years so I'm just still laughing at them
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't know, I'm just taking this whole thing kinda whimsical because of that idiot AOC and her green deal or whatever it is.
    It's funny though, the left has been blaming cow farts for the coming "end-of-the-world" for years so I'm just still laughing at them
    They have been feeding seaweed to cows in California and also in Australia. The biggest problem is getting enough of the particular type of seaweed needed to reduce methane. The Aussies are looking into commercially farming it, there is certainly a huge market.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...oblems/8460512

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think the problem is grossly exaggerated but if feeding seaweed to cows is cost effective, produces better meat and improved growth performance then it's a win win.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

RB 60 (02-24-2019)

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They have been feeding seaweed to cows in California and also in Australia. The biggest problem is getting enough of the particular type of seaweed needed to reduce methane. The Aussies are looking into commercially farming it, there is certainly a huge market.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...oblems/8460512
    I'm sure there's a huge market for it, but it would be difficult to farm or be cost efficient in the mid-west states here in the US.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not against being "environmentally responsible," but blaming everything some groups do for this "global
    warming" shit has gotten out of hand.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-24-2019)

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

JPP liberals don't even believe the warming bullshit. Not one of them has adopted the "green" lifestyle.

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Laverbread is quite good with meals.

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    JPP liberals don't even believe the warming bullshit. Not one of them has adopted the "green" lifestyle.
    I wouldn't say just JPP liberals, but many liberals in general.
    I recycle as much as I can, we have a small recycling center only a few miles from me, so it's not an inconvenience for me to separate my disposables and take them there.
    When I bought my SUV, gas mileage was definitely a consideration, but if you think I'm gonna give up my gas guzzling Cobra, well that ain't happening

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wouldn't say just JPP liberals, but many liberals in general.
    I recycle as much as I can, we have a small recycling center only a few miles from me, so it's not an inconvenience for me to separate my disposables and take them there.
    When I bought my SUV, gas mileage was definitely a consideration, but if you think I'm gonna give up my gas guzzling Cobra, well that ain't happening
    Not one liberal has given up anything to "fight global warming," AFAIK.