Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Motley Crue on Netflix

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I do not think there was a legitimate head banger in high school or college that did not crank Crue - to eleven!

Sorry...but back in the day those of us who took our Rock seriously listened to Metallica...unless you were gay and into the LA hair scene. Then you listened to Crue.

No band did more to kill Rock in the 80’s than Mottley Crue. They came along and Grunge, Metal and Alternative got replaced by Hair, Hair, Hair...after the LA Hair scene people said “Fuck this lame shit I’d rather listen to Snoop Dog”.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (02-26-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,521 Times in 16,980 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

I was never much of a Crue fan, although I'll admit I like a few of their songs. I always thought they were overrated though.
    There's no question they partied their collective asses off, and from what I've heard, their concerts showed it. I never saw them.
    They can't hold a candle to the likes of Dio, Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest (to name 3), but very few others can. JMHO.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-24-2019)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Sorry...but back in the day those of us who took our Rock seriously listened to Metallica...unless you were gay and into the LA hair scene. Then you listened to Crue.

No band did more to kill Rock in the 90’s than Mottley Crue. They came along and Grunge, Metal and Alternative got replaced by Hair, Hair, Hair...after the LA Hair scene people said “Fuck this lame shit I’d rather listen to Snoop Dog”.
    Metallica was also a band that was overrated. I saw them live and really wasn't all that impressed, they were just a bit more "thrash" than I was into. But that's me.

Who the hell listened to Snoop Dog????
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I was never much of a Crue fan, although I'll admit I like a few of their songs. I always thought they were overrated though.
    There's no question they partied their collective asses off, and from what I've heard, their concerts showed it. I never saw them.
    They can't hold a candle to the likes of Dio, Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest (to name 3), but very few others can. JMHO.
    Couldn’t agree more. Unquestionably Metallica was the greatest heavy metal band of that era and they had to leave LA and get away from the Hair, Hair, Hair scene to prove it.

When I think of Motley Crue I think of the Song Cherry Bomb...and it wasn’t even one of their songs! LOL

It might as well as been.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Metallica was also a band that was overrated. I saw them live and really wasn't all that impressed, they were just a bit more "thrash" than I was into. But that's me.

Everyone but people who like listening to women sing through their noses.

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Everyone but people who like listening to women sing through their noses.
    Country? UGH!!!!
    They all sound like a bunch of sick barn animals!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (02-26-2019)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,300 Times in 27,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

No band did more to kill Rock in the 80’s than Mottley Crue. They came along and Grunge, Metal and Alternative got replaced by Hair, Hair, Hair...after the LA Hair scene people said “Fuck this lame shit I’d rather listen to Snoop Dog”.
    This was my take on Motley Crue as a musical entity:
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...22#post2904422

I believe my take on them, is also reflected by the band itself

When we started this band
    All we needed, needed was some laughs
    Years gone by, I'd say we've kicked some ass

-Motley Crue, "Kick Start My Heart"
    I do not think they took themselves that seriously. But when you get right down to it, after their heyday in the 80s, I continue hear their tunes played way more often on rock radio stations, than I hear Dio, Billy Squire, and at least as much as Bon Jovi, Journey, or John Mellenkamp. That is something of a testament to how much a lot of people still like some of their tunes.

As for me, in the late 80s you would be far more likely to find me cranking Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Rush than Crue. But I am not going to deny them their place in rock history as the founders and leading practitioners of Glam rock. And some of their tunes I will still crank, to eleven!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-25-2019)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This was my take on Motley Crue as a musical entity:
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...22#post2904422

I believe my take on them, is also reflected by the band itself

I do not think they took themselves that seriously. But when you get right down to it, after their heyday in the 80s, I continue hear their tunes played way more often on rock radio stations, than I hear Dio, Billy Squire, and at least as much as Bon Jovi, Journey, or John Mellenkamp. That is something of a testament to how much a lot of people still like some of their tunes.

As for me, in the late 80s you would be far more likely to find me cranking Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Rush than Crue. But I am not going to deny them their place in rock history as the founders and leading practitioners of Glam rock. And some of their tunes I will still crank, to eleven!
    Isn't it odd what happened to Billy Squire? One very odd music video literally destroyed his career. I'm pretty sure he was a lesson that hiring a gay choreographer to produce a homoerotic dance routine, now matter how good, was something your average rocker just wasn't ready for. LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (02-25-2019)

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Isn't it odd what happened to Billy Squire? One very odd music video literally destroyed his career. I'm pretty sure he was a lesson that hiring a gay choreographer to produce a homoerotic dance routine, now matter how good, was something your average rocker just wasn't ready for. LOL
    Ha! I am surprised anyone but me remembers that Billy Squire video that essentially ended his career.
    I vote it the worst video in music history!
    But it does have a lot of shock value and comedy value. I was agog, and couldn't believe it, the first time I saw it!

15. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ha! I am surprised anyone but me remembers that Billy Squire video that essentially ended his career.
    I vote it the worst video in music history!
    But it does have a lot of shock value and comedy value. I was agog, and couldn't believe it, the first time I saw it!
    LOL Well I had a gay brother so I was kinda used to seeing stuff like that and was like....meh...as so many entertainers were closeted gays at that time that it came as no shock to me, so I really didn't care.

I was an exception as most everyone else voted with their feet and that pretty much ended his singles career, which was a shame, cause he was one hell of a talent and put out some great songs and albums. I do agree....worst music video of all time even though Rock Me Tonight was a great song.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 02-25-2019 at 03:09 PM.

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL Well I had a gay brother so I was kinda used to seeing stuff like that and was like....meh...as so many entertainers were closeted gays at that time that it came as no shock to me, so I really didn't care.

I was an exception as most everyone else voted with their feet and that pretty much ended his singles career, which was a shame, cause he was one hell of a talent and put out some great songs and albums. I do agree....worst music video of all time even though Rock Me Tonight was a great song.
    Billy Squire has some really good tunes.

The most hilarious comment about that video I ever read, was the broken English of German rocker Rudolf Schenker.

"I liked [him] very much," says Rudolf Schenker of Scorpions, "but then I saw him doing this video in a very terrible way. I couldn't take the music serious anymore."

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Billy Squire has some really good tunes.

The most hilarious comment about that video I ever read, was the broken English of German rocker Rudolf Schenker.
    LOL Billy did bounce back in the 90's but it just goes to show you how fickle fame can be. Prince did the same shit and no one batted an eye because it was Prince.

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

This is probably the most visceral takedown of Crüe the thread has to offer. I now have to seriously re-evaluate them, because, anyone so terrifying as to drive people to listen to Snoop, is potentially a public menace.

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
    This is probably the most visceral takedown of Crüe the thread has to offer. I now have to seriously re-evaluate them, because, anyone so terrifying as to drive people to listen to Snoop, is potentially a public menace.
    Well....I wouldn't....dare I say it...call Snoop Dog a "Public Enemy".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Minister of Truth (02-26-2019)

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Metallica is the only band that was consistently good in the genre. Everyone else was hit or miss, but, I can pretty much enjoy anything by them. The Unforgiven is a personal favorite of mine.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-26-2019)