Thread: Adam Schiff's Open Letter (to Trump):

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Today's Washington Post contains a letter from Rep. Adam Schiff, ostensibly to the Republicans in Congress, but almost certainly with Donald Trump in mind as the recipient.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans

I imagine our American conservative friends here in JPP will not like it, but it is a terrific read.

He speaks of our "national divide...and of "attacks on our democracy."

My favorite part is:

But the attack on our democracy had its limits. Russian President Vladimir Putin could not lead us to distrust our own intelligence agencies or the FBI. He could not cause us to view our own free press as an enemy of the people. He could not undermine the independence of the Justice Department or denigrate judges. Only we could do that to ourselves. Although many forces have contributed to the decline in public confidence in our institutions, one force stands out as an accelerant, like gas on a fire. And try as some of us might to avoid invoking the arsonist’s name, we must say it.

I speak, of course, of our president, Donald Trump.

Read it. I think you'll like it.
    WP tells me I've looked at them too much this month, so sorry, pay us money.

Could you post the entire thing, please?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    Did Obama incite the American people to distrust their own intelligence services? Did his minions accuse the FBI and the Justice Department of attempting a coup? Did he damn the free press - just the part that spoke against him, of course - as an "enemy of the people"? Did he make the POTUS a bad joke or worse in the rest of the free world?

No, he did not - EVEN THOUGH HE WAS BLACK. Rankles, don't it?
    Good job pegging one of JPP's more virulent racists. Along with its brethren CFM, ILA, etc. I've had it on ignore since we first showed up. It can't stop talking about me anyways, nonetheless.

Haters gonna hate, and they really hate it when you call them out.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 41 Posts

Today's Washington Post contains a letter from Rep. Adam Schiff, ostensibly to the Republicans in Congress, but almost certainly with Donald Trump in mind as the recipient.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans

I imagine our American conservative friends here in JPP will not like it, but it is a terrific read.

He speaks of our "national divide...and of "attacks on our democracy."

My favorite part is:

But the attack on our democracy had its limits. Russian President Vladimir Putin could not lead us to distrust our own intelligence agencies or the FBI. He could not cause us to view our own free press as an enemy of the people. He could not undermine the independence of the Justice Department or denigrate judges. Only we could do that to ourselves. Although many forces have contributed to the decline in public confidence in our institutions, one force stands out as an accelerant, like gas on a fire. And try as some of us might to avoid invoking the arsonist’s name, we must say it.

Read it. I think you'll like it.
    President Trump's tweets keep Schiff and his base up at night. This is the level of absurdity we are dealing with.
    The anti-Trumper's new mantra:

“B-b-but muh White supremacy”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heff For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-22-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,252 Times in 7,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    WP tells me I've looked at them too much this month, so sorry, pay us money.

Could you post the entire thing, please?
    Ask...and you shall receive:

Title: An Open Letter to My Republican Collegues

This is a moment of great peril for our democracy. Our country is deeply divided. Our national discourse has become coarse, indeed, poisonous. Disunity and dysfunction have paralyzed Congress.

And while our attention is focused inward, the world spins on, new authoritarian regimes are born, old rivals spread their pernicious ideologies, and the space for freedom-loving peoples begins to contract violently. At last week’s Munich Security Conference, the prevailing sentiment among our closest allies is that the United States can no longer be counted on to champion liberal democracy or defend the world order we built.

For the past two years, we have examined Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and its attempts to influence the 2018 midterms. Moscow’s effort to undermine our democracy was spectacularly successful in inflaming racial, ethnic and other divides in our society and turning American against American.

The president has just declared a national emergency to subvert the will of Congress and appropriate billions of dollars for a border wall that Congress has explicitly refused to fund. Whether you support the border wall or oppose it, you should be deeply troubled by the president’s intent to obtain it through a plainly unconstitutional abuse of power.

To my Republican colleagues: When the president attacked the independence of the Justice Department by intervening in a case in which he is implicated, you did not speak out. When he attacked the press as the enemy of the people, you again were silent. When he targeted the judiciary, labeling judges and decisions he didn’t like as illegitimate, we heard not a word. And now he comes for Congress, the first branch of government, seeking to strip it of its greatest power, that of the purse.

Many of you have acknowledged your deep misgivings about the president in quiet conversations over the past two years. You have bemoaned his lack of decency, character and integrity. You have deplored his fundamental inability to tell the truth. But for reasons that are all too easy to comprehend, you have chosen to keep your misgivings and your rising alarm private.

That must end. The time for silent disagreement is over. You must speak out.
    This will require courage. The president is popular among your base, which revels in his vindictive and personal attacks on members of his own party, even giants such as the late senator John McCain. Speaking up risks a primary challenge or accusations of disloyalty. But such acts of independence are the most profound demonstrations of loyalty to country.

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III may soon conclude his investigation and report. Depending on what is in that report and what we find in our own investigations, our nation may face an even greater challenge. While I am alarmed at what we have already seen and found of the president’s conduct and that of his campaign, I continue to reserve judgment about what consequences should flow from our eventual findings. I ask you to do the same.
    If we cannot rise to the defense of our democracy now, in the face of a plainly unconstitutional aggrandizement of presidential power, what hope can we have that we will do so with the far greater decisions that could be yet to come?
    Although these times pose unprecedented challenges, we have been through worse. The divisions during the Vietnam War and the civil rights movement were just as grave and far more deadly. The Depression and World War II were far more consequential. And nothing can compare to the searing experience of the Civil War.

If Abraham Lincoln, the father of the Republican Party, could be hopeful that our bonds of affection would be strained but not broken by a war that pitted brother against brother, surely America can come together once more. But as long as we must endure the present trial, history compels us to speak, and act, our conscience, Republicans and Democrats alike.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Cypress (02-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-22-2019)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,837 Times in 17,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Schiff and his ilk including the leftist main stream media are the definition of the "National Divide!!!!!" And I didn't vote for Trump and I'm not a rightist!!! However I view Schiff as a crooked weasel!!!!!
    But you think Trump is not a crooked buffoon?

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heff View Post
    President Trump's tweets keep Schiff and his base up at night. This is the level of absurdity we are dealing with.
    How about this level of absurdity

Trump was sued for rape by minor girl in a "fixed" Epstein case

Trump was involved in Epstein's actions. Trump was sued by the minor girls. The case was "fixed" before the election.

Snopes: https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/06/...-rape-lawsuit/
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,774 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heff View Post
    Many of you have acknowledged your deep misgivings about the president in quiet conversations over the past two years. You have bemoaned his lack of decency, character and integrity. You have deplored his fundamental inability to tell the truth. But ...

The president is popular among your base, which revels in his vindictive and personal attacks on members of his own party.

That is the plain truth. You think that pointing it out is "absurd"?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-22-2019)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 41 Posts

Many of you have acknowledged your deep misgivings about the president in quiet conversations over the past two years. You have bemoaned his lack of decency, character and integrity. You have deplored his fundamental inability to tell the truth. But ...

The president is popular among your base, which revels in his vindictive and personal attacks on members of his own party.

That is the plain truth. You think that pointing it out is "absurd"?
    First, the tweets of Russian Bots constitutes "election meddling". Second, Trump's Tweets constitute "attacks". Maybe it's time you guys take a break from twitter before you guys try to alter the course of the country for the worst.
    The anti-Trumper's new mantra:

“B-b-but muh White supremacy”

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is a moment of great peril for our democracy. Our country is deeply divided. Our national discourse has become coarse, indeed, poisonous. Disunity and dysfunction have paralyzed Congress.

And while our attention is focused inward, the world spins on, new authoritarian regimes are born, old rivals spread their pernicious ideologies, and the space for freedom-loving peoples begins to contract violently. At last week’s Munich Security Conference, the prevailing sentiment among our closest allies is that the United States can no longer be counted on to champion liberal democracy or defend the world order we built.

For the past two years, we have examined Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and its attempts to influence the 2018 midterms. Moscow’s effort to undermine our democracy was spectacularly successful in inflaming racial, ethnic and other divides in our society and turning American against American.

The president has just declared a national emergency to subvert the will of Congress and appropriate billions of dollars for a border wall that Congress has explicitly refused to fund. Whether you support the border wall or oppose it, you should be deeply troubled by the president’s intent to obtain it through a plainly unconstitutional abuse of power.

To my Republican colleagues: When the president attacked the independence of the Justice Department by intervening in a case in which he is implicated, you did not speak out. When he attacked the press as the enemy of the people, you again were silent. When he targeted the judiciary, labeling judges and decisions he didn’t like as illegitimate, we heard not a word. And now he comes for Congress, the first branch of government, seeking to strip it of its greatest power, that of the purse.

Many of you have acknowledged your deep misgivings about the president in quiet conversations over the past two years. You have bemoaned his lack of decency, character and integrity. You have deplored his fundamental inability to tell the truth. But for reasons that are all too easy to comprehend, you have chosen to keep your misgivings and your rising alarm private.

This will require courage. The president is popular among your base, which revels in his vindictive and personal attacks on members of his own party, even giants such as the late senator John McCain. Speaking up risks a primary challenge or accusations of disloyalty. But such acts of independence are the most profound demonstrations of loyalty to country.

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III may soon conclude his investigation and report. Depending on what is in that report and what we find in our own investigations, our nation may face an even greater challenge. While I am alarmed at what we have already seen and found of the president’s conduct and that of his campaign, I continue to reserve judgment about what consequences should flow from our eventual findings. I ask you to do the same.
    If we cannot rise to the defense of our democracy now, in the face of a plainly unconstitutional aggrandizement of presidential power, what hope can we have that we will do so with the far greater decisions that could be yet to come?
    Although these times pose unprecedented challenges, we have been through worse. The divisions during the Vietnam War and the civil rights movement were just as grave and far more deadly. The Depression and World War II were far more consequential. And nothing can compare to the searing experience of the Civil War.

If Abraham Lincoln, the father of the Republican Party, could be hopeful that our bonds of affection would be strained but not broken by a war that pitted brother against brother, surely America can come together once more. But as long as we must endure the present trial, history compels us to speak, and act, our conscience, Republicans and Democrats alike.
    Thank you very much, Frank.

That was amazing and eloquent. I hope it is read and understood.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Where was this person during Obama's reign of hate and division?

On the bandwagon with the rest of race and hate baiters. Now, he's squalling like a wet baby.

Suck it up, buttercup. There is always a hereafter.

We took America back. "He won. Get over it"
    How ya been, sock?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Did Obama incite the American people to distrust their own intelligence services? Did his minions accuse the FBI and the Justice Department of attempting a coup? Did he damn the free press - just the part that spoke against him, of course - as an "enemy of the people"? Did he make the POTUS a bad joke or worse in the rest of the free world?

No, he did not - EVEN THOUGH HE WAS BLACK. Rankles, don't it?
    Minty hates her some black people. Always has.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Obama wasnt investigated for anything, the media never printed or uttered a negative word about him. Hollywood snuggled up under his testicles and stayed there for 8 yrs in ignorant bliss.

Tell me you arent trying to compare the attacks on trump the secret coup investigations the go in all directions to find anything Mueller investigation to the pampering that obama had from his campaign right no through by everyone.
    Stupid you are, Yoda.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did Obama incite the American people to distrust their own intelligence services?
    What were you liberal dunces saying about our intelligence services when they claimed Saddam had WMDs snowflake? Do you remember? Or can you even remember what happened last week?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You people who suppose you "took America back" by electing Donald Trump are TRAITORS...both to our Republic and to humanity.

Hopefully, you will grow up enough to recognize that.
    That is such a repugnant asinine statement that I hope someday you will grow a brain and recognize that.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The irony here is that it's morons like Schiff on the Democratic Party of the Jackass side of the aisle who are the source of all the divisiveness, the dysfunction and the poison that divides this country.

It's morons like Schiff and Pelosi who refused to accept the results of an election and who now attempt to bring Government to a complete halt in an effort to be relevant.