Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee wore Confederate uniform in 1980 yearbook photo: report

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee wore Confederate uniform in 1980 yearbook photo: report

Source: Washington Post

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee wore a Confederate uniform in a photo published in his 1980 college yearbook, the Tennessean newspaper reported Thursday, in the latest instance of a state leader coming under scrutiny for past actions that critics have decried as racially insensitive.

Lee (R), who won election in November, confirmed to the newspaper through his office that he wore the uniform at an “Old South” party as a student at Auburn University in Alabama.

In a statement to The Washington Post, Lee said he regretted wearing the uniform.

“Although I have never acted to intentionally hurt anyone, I have the benefit of 40 years of hindsight to see that participating was insensitive and I’ve come to regret it,” Lee said.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...96a_story.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

lisasanders1964 (02-21-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I demand his resignation forthwith.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,302 Times in 53,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee wore a Confederate uniform in a photo published in his 1980 college yearbook, the Tennessean newspaper reported Thursday, in the latest instance of a state leader coming under scrutiny for past actions that critics have decried as racially insensitive.

Lee (R), who won election in November, confirmed to the newspaper through his office that he wore the uniform at an “Old South” party as a student at Auburn University in Alabama.

In a statement to The Washington Post, Lee said he regretted wearing the uniform.

“Although I have never acted to intentionally hurt anyone, I have the benefit of 40 years of hindsight to see that participating was insensitive and I’ve come to regret it,” Lee said.

I don't see that as a huge big deal, IMO. The black-face and KKK outfits are far more offensive. I guess though the context matters.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (02-22-2019), leaningright (02-21-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,598 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 163 Times in 155 Posts

To the surprise of no one. It was just a couple years ago people were still flying huge Confederate flags off the back of their trucks. Also yeah a historical outfit is not as bad as blackface or a KKK hood. There are people that still do reenactments.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

Earl (02-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-22-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    To the surprise of no one. It was just a couple years ago people were still flying huge Confederate flags off the back of their trucks. Also yeah a historical outfit is not as bad as blackface or a KKK hood. There are people that still do reenactments.
    must be a slow news day over at WaPo

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,786 Times in 17,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I demand his resignation forthwith.
    Me too.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Me too.
    Doesn't seem to be working...just like it didn't with "Coonman."

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

OK….seems quite appropriate for a politician in the state of Tenn. that has a confederate history actual. What? History must be altered and forgot due to the pussy's on the left and their constant crying and bitching over political correctness? What a jerk. The false premise? There is something wrong with wearing a confederate costume. Reality: There was such a thing as revolution known as the civil war and Tenn. sided with the confederate Rebels. Its not like he wore the costume to take his oath of office.....it was at a party to remember the OLD SOUTH.

NOTHING is all the left has. Does the left hate the site of any historical artifacts that addresses the Civil War? Why? Those who do not learn from the past are due to repeat it. Be careful what you wish for......the majority of the military strength and industry now resides in our southern states. What do the liberal northern states have? Fake money, slums, ghettos, crime and inner city poverty. And then there is the KGC and the northern support of conservative states such as Iowa, Ohio, Illinois (who still has a statue of slave supporting politician.....Douglas still proudly standing) and Indiana.
    Last edited by Ralph; 02-21-2019 at 08:34 PM.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    OK….seems quite appropriate for a politician in the state of Tenn. that has a confederate history actual. What? History must be altered and forgot due to the pussy's on the left and their constant crying and bitching over political correctness? What a jerk. The false premise? There is something wrong with wearing a confederate costume. Reality: There was such a thing as revolution known as the civil war and Tenn. sided with the confederate Rebels. Its not like he wore the costume to take his oath of office.....it was at a party to remember the OLD SOUTH.

NOTHING is all the left has. Do you hate the site of any historical artifacts that addresses the Civil War? Why? Those who do not learn from the past are due to repeat it. Be careful what you wish for......the majority of the military strength and industry now resides in our southern states. What do the liberal northern states have? Fake money, slums, ghettos, crime and inner city poverty.
    like I said slow news day over at WaPo

I report, you decide

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Zero wrong with it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Earl (02-22-2019)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I report, you decide
    Like FOX?

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I report, you decide
    btw I live in CA, which has the 5th largest economy in the WORLD and feeds 40% of the nation

also has SD Naval yards, Camp Pendelton military facilities everywhere

y'all just stay down there in the boonies and we're good

17. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-22-2019)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

btw I live in CA, which has the 5th largest economy in the WORLD and feeds 40% of the nation

you guys still have that massive unfunded pension problem or did you fix that?.......

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Reality concerning California's vibrant economy and growth.....when all the factors are included it appears that figures don't lie but liars figure. When one adjusts for California's high cost of living due to the cost of water, electricity, housing, taxation on everything from Gas to Cig higher than most other states and nations....while calculating the REAL COST of goods and services being the highest in the nation.....it appears that California's real GDP rests at 11th place....thanks to liberal politicians.

20. The Following User Groans At Ralph For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (02-21-2019)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 166 Times in 142 Posts
    Blog Entries

Funny. The republicunts demanded the democrat who posed in blackface 30 years ago to resign immediately, but a republicunt governor posing in a confederate uniform 30 years ago has the republicunts suddenly lose their voices.

Can't have one rule for republicunts and another rule for everyone else.

If the democrat resigned, then the fucking republicunt should resign.