Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #NeverTrump movement has disintegrated.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default #NeverTrump movement has disintegrated.

#NeverTrump movement has disintegrated. It’s now the political equivalent of a doomed exotic species, attracting a lot of stares from bystanders, but no longer playing much of a role in the actual biosphere.

As a Republican strategist and NeverTrumper myself, I speak from inside the belly of the beast. Mr. Weld’s announcement offers a glimmer, but I see little chance that conservatives disillusioned with President Trump will revive NeverTrump as an actual movement.

President Trump has made the party his own, with a near 90 percent approval rating among Republicans. Before the 2018 midterms, many NeverTrump voters, donors and activists had already jumped off the Republican ship to independent or even Democratic galleons. So they may not get to vote in either the Republican or Democratic primary without re-registering.

And now, as we head into the 2020 election season, some notable conservatives formerly opposed to Mr. Trump have decided to throw their support to him. The conservative writer and radio host Erick Erickson is a good example.

“Some of my concerns about President Trump remain,” he wrote in a recent column. “But I also recognize that we cannot have the Trump administration policies without President Trump and there is much to like.”

Senator Mike Lee of Utah, who was seen as a ringleader of an effort to block Mr. Trump’s nomination at the 2016 convention, will also help the president. He and Mr. Erickson both voted for the independent candidate Evan McMullin, and they are far from alone in now supporting President Trump.

The bottom line for people like Mr. Erickson is this: Mr. Trump has terrible character flaws and has eroded norms and worsened our system of government. But Democrats seem to have responded to the election of Mr. Trump not by pushing forward sensible, moderate candidates who understand the fundamentals of government and policy but rather far-left legislators in Congress (like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib) and policy like the late-term-abortion laws in Virginia and New York.

Mr. Trump may be a nutter with bad-to-nonexistent morals and ideas, but he has at least succeeded on policy goals that are important to people like Mr. Erickson.
    In his column, he noted that President Trump had “delivered on tax reform” as well as “regulatory rollbacks,” “undermining Obamacare” and “solid executive appointments, including to the judiciary.”

Those things matter to lots of different types of conservatives That leaves relatively few of us undecideds pacing the proverbial political mall, window shopping. Our efforts to affect the 2020 map might just be pointless: A lot of us live in states that neither have early primaries nor are likely to be in play in the general election.

The only way to have an impact on the electoral map and ensure NeverTrump exerts serious, quantifiable political power is for all of its 2016 members to somehow get on the same page in terms of whom to support, and then collectively move to Iowa, New Hampshire and Florida. Short of that, our influence will be more subtle (campaign contributions, an endorsement, advice on debate technique). Ideally, what we do will help counteract the work done by others like Mr. Erickson.

As things stand right now, I’m inclined to vote my conscience and back Mr. Weld. I voted for him when he ran on the Libertarian Party line in 2016. He had a solid fiscal conservative rating as governor. He’s more capable than Mr. Trump of doing the job of commander in chief. He is likable and funny, and I can see him working well with other world leaders.

For the Democratic Party to have its best shot at retaking the White House, by grabbing not just swing voters in places like the Midwest but also some disillusioned Republican voters wherever it can, perhaps helping it win somewhere like Arizona, it needs to nominate someone at least perceived as more moderate than your average House Democrat and more levelheaded than the hate-tweet-happy Mr. Trump. It probably means its safest choice is Joe Biden, or if he doesn’t run, maybe Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., or Gov. Steve Bullock of Montana.

If the Democratic Party can play it smart like that, NeverTrumpers might count for something this election cycle. But if it doesn’t, we will most likely carry on as the political version of the West African black rhino — active and occasionally visible until it dies off altogether or is permanently integrated into another subspecies in American political life.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Tkaffen (02-21-2019), Truth Detector (02-21-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    conservatives disillusioned with President Trump
    can such an animal exist?.......has any Republican president ever been so consistent in pushing conservative issues forward?.......

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

canceled.2021.1 (02-21-2019), countryboy (02-21-2019), Truth Detector (02-21-2019), Yoda (02-21-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Never has any liberal or Democrat or ANYONE ELSE...

...ever said anything more disgusting and insulting about the Republican Party than:

President Trump has made the party his own, with a near 90 percent approval rating among Republicans.

The people who make up the 10% who do not approve of this abomination...should switch parties or become Independents.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,628 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Never has any liberal or Democrat or ANYONE ELSE...

...ever said anything more disgusting and insulting about the Republican Party than:

President Trump has made the party his own, with a near 90 percent approval rating among Republicans.

The people who make up the 10% who do not approve of this abomination...should switch parties or become Independents.

Frank
    Still talking shit I see.

"And the movement has come from within key portions of his base. He is:
    Down significantly among suburban men, a net-positive approval rating of 51-to-39 percent to a net-negative of 42 percent approve, 48 percent disapprove. That's a net change of down 18 percentage points.
    Down a net of 13 points among white evangelicals, from 73-to-17 percent approve to 66-to-23 percent approve.
    Down a net of 10 points among Republicans, from 90-to-7 percent approve to 83-to-10 percent.
    Down marginally among white men without a college degree, from 56-to-34 percent approve to 50-to-35 percent approve, a net change downward of 7 points."
    https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/68553...lips-with-base

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-21-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Frank
    Still talking shit I see.
    Not even remotely.

"And the movement has come from within key portions of his base. He is:
    Down significantly among suburban men, a net-positive approval rating of 51-to-39 percent to a net-negative of 42 percent approve, 48 percent disapprove. That's a net change of down 18 percentage points.
    Down a net of 13 points among white evangelicals, from 73-to-17 percent approve to 66-to-23 percent approve.
    Down a net of 10 points among Republicans, from 90-to-7 percent approve to 83-to-10 percent.
    Down marginally among white men without a college degree, from 56-to-34 percent approve to 50-to-35 percent approve, a net change downward of 7 points."
    https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/68553...lips-with-base
    My comment was based on what was written in the OP. The quote was directly from it.

Read the OP (third paragraph)...and you will see.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,628 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not even remotely.

My comment was based on what was written in the OP. The quote was directly from it.

Read the OP (third paragraph)...and you will see.
    And that referenced prior to the 2018 midterms. My source is January this year. So Sorry.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    And that referenced prior to the 2018 midterms. My source is January this year. So Sorry.
    I do not care what YOUR source is, Grump. I am replying to THIS OP.

Give up, Grumpy. You are not cut out for this shit. You allow people to get you triggered too easily.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,028 Times in 6,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not care what YOUR source is, Grump. I am replying to THIS OP.

Give up, Grumpy. You are not cut out for this shit. You allow people to get you triggered too easily.
    That's for sure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

Frank Apisa (02-21-2019)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

The day of reckoning for NeverTrumpers is not here yet, but it is fast approaching

From where I sit if they can’t see fit supporting him then I they are conservative to begin with. See Bill Kristol and Max Boot.

Is Trump perfect? Not in the least. Is he the “dream candidate”. Depends on what your dream is.

If you are happy losing with noble men like Romney then Trump is not your guy.

All I know is this. Trump has done more to advance conservative principles than any modern day politician I have seen. That is indisputable.

If NeverTrumpers want to cling to what in the past was a losing strategy so be it

But their day of reckoning is coming

They might be forgiven for 2016 because Trump was a blank slate. They will not be forgiven in 2020.

For the record I will never forgive them. I will forever treat them with more disdain than I do leftists and muslimes. That is how low I think NeverTrumpers are. But they can still repent

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-21-2019), Yoda (02-21-2019)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    The day of reckoning for NeverTrumpers is not here yet, but it is fast approaching

From where I sit if they can’t see fit supporting him then I they are conservative to begin with. See Bill Kristol and Max Boot.

Is Trump perfect? Not in the least. Is he the “dream candidate”. Depends on what your dream is.

If you are happy losing with noble men like Romney then Trump is not your guy.

All I know is this. Trump has done more to advance conservative principles than any modern day politician I have seen. That is indisputable.

If NeverTrumpers want to cling to what in the past was a losing strategy so be it

But their day of reckoning is coming

They might be forgiven for 2016 because Trump was a blank slate. They will not be forgiven in 2020.

For the record I will never forgive them. I will forever treat them with more disdain than I do leftists and muslimes. That is how low I think NeverTrumpers are. But they can still repent
    I'll laugh when your shitty character lands you in the lake of fire.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Anyone still supporting Donald Trump is a traitor to our Republic...and to humanity in general.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

This is good news, in a way.
    There were a lot of teabaggers who tried to explain away Trump by hollering "Trump is a Democrat!!".

We can now dispense with that nonsense, and say that Donald Trump is hugely popular with the Republican Party, and is one of the most beloved and admired Republican politicians of the modern era. His support in all polling shows overwhelming support from the Republican base.

Its Trump's party now. Teabaggers will not be allowed to slither and tip-toe away from him in years to come.

It all fits quite well into my plan to spend the next decade painting the GOP as the party of Donald Trump, George Dumbya Bush, and Sarah Palin.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,598 Times in 4,276 Posts

Obviously, the reds were concerned about it. That is why the Repub party made its backing of Trump so early. They know that Trump is a crook and not very bright. But the wealthy are getting what they paid for. They will happily put that buffoon back in office ,if they can.
    Wait for a real contender to come out. You will see how much power the party of rich white men has.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
    I'll laugh when your shitty character lands you in the lake of fire.
    I will laugh when Trump is re-elected and you finally follow your true calling and become a democrat with your butt buddy cawackjob

20. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-21-2019)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,774 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    I will laugh when ...
    Then you will have crooks running the GOP and fools voting for it.

No shortage of crooks, but can they find enough fools?