Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Student-loan payment may soon come directly out of your paycheck

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,207 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Imagine how much we would save if we got rid of teachers? Once a kid knows how to read, he should be able to teach himself from books or the net.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    BS - college is not that expensive. Tuition at state schools is usually around $7,000 a year. Room and board does not count as a college expense since you will pay that whether you go to college or not. The problem is these dummies that insist on private colleges or out-of-state schools.
    Not that expensive?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-22-2019), LV426 (02-20-2019)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

The Student Loan Debt bubble is now larger than the subprime bubble that tanked the economy 12 years ago.

Forgiving all student loan debt would be an instant economic stimulus.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

TTQ64 (02-21-2019)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BS - college is not that expensive. Tuition at state schools is usually around $7,000 a year. Room and board does not count as a college expense since you will pay that whether you go to college or not. The problem is these dummies that insist on private colleges or out-of-state schools.
    $7,000 a year is more than most middle-class families can afford, and likely means that those families have to take out loans.

Something like 40% of American households cannot cover a $400 emergency; so from where and how can they afford tuition at $7K/yr if they can't even have $400 on hand for an emergency?

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Imagine how much we would save if we got rid of teachers? Once a kid knows how to read, he should be able to teach himself from books or the net.
    Wow.

Is this a parody post?

Is this a "bit" you're trying out?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

TTQ64 (02-21-2019)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Wow.

Is this a parody post?

Is this a "bit" you're trying out?
    HAHAHA. The board notes you have no answer to my suggestion. Can anyone say what's wrong with replacing teachers in HS and college with books and the internet? Be a hell of a lot cheaper and likely more effective. Most teachers are terrible.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Student Loan Debt bubble is now larger than the subprime bubble that tanked the economy 12 years ago.

Well hell - let's cancel all debt then. That would be a stimulus too. But it's still massive welfare.

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well hell - let's cancel all debt then. That would be a stimulus too. But it's still massive welfare.
    It's no more welfare than Trump taking advantage of bankruptcy laws 6 times.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Is the Earth sitting still? I mean, did we finally find something that we can partially agree on?

Shockingly as it may be, I agree with you that if you get behind on your Federally granted and approved Student Loan Payments, then just like in the case of collecting IRS repayments, or child support payments and obligations, it should be mandatory that it be taken out of your paychecks.

But, I disagree that people should not use credit- as it is necessary to acquiring costly secondary educations for most working class families in America.

Law, doctorate, and engineering degrees are going to cost more money than most any average young adult or teenager is going to have.
    My son is 23 graduated UT with a degree in Computer Science Computer Engineering.

And a job lined up before he got out, already bought a house....and only owed 1700.00 in loans!

And he comes from a middle class family, it can be done!

Of course he didn't grow up in a family looking for hand outs etc and in no way expected college to be free

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Tuition and fees vary from college to college. The average cost of tuition and fees for the 2018–2019 school year was $35,676 at private colleges, $9,716 for state residents at public colleges and $21,629 for out-of-state students at state schools, according to data reported to U.S. News in an annual survey.

Working night shifts to pay for school usually limits students to working minimum wage jobs. That is why I suggested a minimum wage increase would help!

And why do we limit our children to 12 years of public school? We could do more, like add a couple of more years of Community College.
    Why should the minimum wage increase because of someone's personal situation that has nothing to do with their job?

Feel free to provide anyone you think deserves to go to college the funding for it from your pocket. My kids are my responsibility. Both of them will leave college without as much as $1 of school loan debt. That's because their parents cared enough for them to plan ahead and make sure they weren't burdened with that debt. What's wrong with other parents doing the same thing?

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    My son is 23 graduated UT with a degree in Computer Science Computer Engineering.

And a job lined up before he got out, already bought a house....and only owed 1700.00 in loans!

Of course he didn't grow up in a family looking for hand outs etc and in no way expected college to be free
    Both of mine will/have graduate(d) without a $1 of debt.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No it wouldn't. It would teach those not living up to their side of the agreement to pay back what THEY willingly borrowed that they can do the same thing again. Is that what you want, people not living up to their promises?

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Why should the minimum wage increase because of someone's personal situation that has nothing to do with their job?

Feel free to provide anyone you think deserves to go to college the funding for it from your pocket. My kids are my responsibility. Both of them will leave college without as much as $1 of school loan debt. That's because their parents cared enough for them to plan ahead and make sure they weren't burdened with that debt. What's wrong with other parents doing the same thing?
    I know all about people like you! People who sit up on some lofty little perch, looking down on everyone else, and saying, "I got mine- Everybody else can go and FUCK themselves"!

Here, let me flip you a fish! ARF! ARF! ARF!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-22-2019)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's no more welfare than Trump taking advantage of bankruptcy laws 6 times.
    I agree. Bankruptcy is a form of welfare. In fact it's a form of stealing.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post

Hey thanks for your story bro! And, congratulations are in order for you and your son!

UT is not cheap- and it's a fine school!

When public school (Grades Kindergarten - 12th grade) became important enough for Americans to want to provide it for the children in their communities through the collection of taxes based on Local Real Estate taxes, and with the help of State Taxes, and ultimately with the help of Federal Help, it was at a time when it was not necessary for most young adults to have a college degree to be able to compete in the workforce and be able to provide for themselves and their future families.

But today, a High School degree and $5.50 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

In today's world, a college degree is essential unless you want to work at somewhere like Starbucks for the rest of your life- working for low wages.

Since things have changed since the dawning of Public schools, I believe it is time to include a couple of more years of Public School offering to High School graduates, and the ability to add an Associates degree to their resume.

I believe this could be done easily and affordably in every County across America, through Community College!

If your county does not provide Community College, then why not bring Community College to the existing High Schools that are already there by just adding the curriculum and the teaching staff in and expanding the classrooms to accommodate it as necessary.

I do not believe that it needs a federal mandate to make it all possible. I believe that this could be possible with Local Taxes and with the help of the State Taxes that are collected through lottery sales and their State's rainy day funds already just sitting there looking for a legitimate way to be spent.

It's a concept!

All I'm asking is- THINK ABOUT IT!

Is it something that we cannot afford- or is it something that we can't afford- NOT TO DO?

That is all I'm asking!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

LV426 (02-21-2019)