Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Student-loan payment may soon come directly out of your paycheck

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    As long as Universities believe they have unlimited deep pockets of students and parents to pay for excessive administrative salaries and vast number of costly services that have nothing to do with instruction or research that tax payers will not pay for then prices will continue to escalate until the people have the political will to stop the insanity.

Don't blame the universities. They can't get a dime unless people willingly pay the price they are asking.

A friend is in the process of building a house. He's getting prices from contractors now. He's shocked with some of the prices he's getting and asked one of the bidders why things were so much more/square foot than a year ago. The contractor said he could lower the price and probably get more business but he didn't need any more business and people were paying the prices he was bidding.

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    I don't think you understand the issue. The colleges already got their money since the govt assumed the student debt. The kids owe the money to the govt now. The govt has to get out of the business of guaranteeing student debt as that just encourages the colleges to charge more.
    Wtf would a high school drop out like you know about the issue?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (02-22-2019)

4. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    People should be accountable for their decisions.

Majoring in basket weaving while taking out 6 figures in student loans is a stupid thing to do and no one else should have to pay for these people's stupid decision. Pay up, snowflakes.
    You sound like you have never set foot in a college classroom.

I have attended three universities, taught at a state college, and attended two community colleges. I have hundreds of friends and colleagues who have attended dozens of universities across that nation.

And I have never heard of basket weaving as a legitimate college major. Nor have I ever met a single person who majored in "basket weaving".

Is that something you heard on Boss Limbaugh's show?

I would have never been able to attend college without grants and taxpayer subsidized loans. And for that, I thank the liberal and progressive side of the political spectrum in America. Because left to their own devices, conservatives would never support higher education in a way that it would have made it reasonably accessible to someone like me.

5. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    What is a "worthless degree"?

The unemployment rate for anyone with a 4-year degree is lower than the current unemployment rate.

These are from 2017, but I think they're still accurate.
    Media studies, sociology, women's studies, theatre arts and liberal arts, to.name but a few!

6. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

HAHAHA. You're making a fool of yourself. Affirmative action is PURE RACISM and indefensible and even you can see that. You support AA because you are a white-hating racist - like all liberals.
    If leveling the playing field is "racism", then you're admitting the system is already set up to accommodate your privilege.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

7. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Media studies
    Most of the pundits from whom you get your ideas have degrees in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    sociology
    The median pay for Sociologists is higher than the national median average, according to BLS. But keep arguing your uninformed bias. LOL.

2017 Median Pay
    $79,650 per year
    $38.29 per hour

women's studies
    If there were more women's studies majors, then there wouldn't be as much misogyny and sexism.

Also, according to Data USA, Women's Studies majors also make more than the median US income:

AVERAGE WAGE
    $68,943

Plumbers made a median salary of $52,590 in 2017.

So women's studies majors make more than plumbers.

theatre arts
    The entertainment industry employs more people than coal and oil combined.

All those shows on TV and Netflix; all those movies in the theaters and on HBO...all of that includes theater majors.

and liberal arts, to.name but a few!
    Liberal Arts degrees, according to PayScale, have an average median income of $60K, which is more than plumbers make.

It's funny how once you do a deep dive into inherent Conservative biases, you find those Conservatives are always talking out of their asses.

8. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You sound like you have never set foot in a college classroom.

I have attended three universities, taught at a state college, and attended two community colleges. I have hundreds of friends and colleagues who have attended dozens of universities across that nation.

And I have never heard of basket weaving as a legitimate college major. Nor have I ever met a single person who majored in "basket weaving".

Is that something you heard on Boss Limbaugh's show?

I would have never been able to attend college without grants and taxpayer subsidized loans. And for that, I thank the liberal and progressive side of the political spectrum in America. Because left to their own devices, conservatives would never support higher education in a way that it would have made it reasonably accessible to someone like me.
    I'm going to assume ignorance on your part, and not that you're intentionally being a dumbass. I shortened it to basket weaving, assuming people would still get the idea.
    Underwater basket weaving is an idiom referring in a negative way to supposedly useless or absurd college or university courses and often generally to refer to a perceived decline in educational standards.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unde...basket_weaving

9. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe yourself? After all, you seem really bitter about Affirmative Action.

That's because you know that your privilege is what carried you, not your work ethic. So you take it as a personal affront that anyone dare question the fantasy of hard work and perseverance you crafted for your character, but you secretly know and accept that you didn't work hard, you didn't persevere, you lived a lucky life thanks to your inherent privilege.

You just have to posture on the internet because it makes you feel better to think that other people think you are a rugged individualist because you don't.
    I wonder what percentage of his income is from the government.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

LV426 (02-22-2019)

11. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If leveling the playing field is "racism", then you're admitting the system is already set up to accommodate your privilege.
    That's not called leveling the field. It's called racism and it's easily proven that it is.

12. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I wonder what percentage of his income is from the government.
    Are you claiming any of it is?

It's easily proven that AA is a bullshit, racist program.

13. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Wtf would a high school drop out like you know about the issue?
    Some friendly advice. Don't ever call he a HS dropout again.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

14. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

I read a book a few years back that mentioned a guy who got a PhD in puppetry!!!
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

15. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The median pay for Sociologists is higher than the national median average, according to BLS. But keep arguing your uninformed bias. LOL.

2017 Median Pay
    $79,650 per year
    $38.29 per hour

I don't believe that but if it's true it's only because there are so many makework affirmative action jobs in sociology invented just so women and blacks have jobs.

16. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't believe that
    And thus is the crux of the problem with Conservatism...you want to make this a debate about feelings and beliefs. Well, you cannot believe this, you accept it or you don't.

Not accepting it means you are in denial; accepting it means your inherent biases and prejudices are wrong.

17. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

if it's true it's only because there are so many makework affirmative action jobs in sociology invented just so women and blacks have jobs.
    LOL!

So you started off by saying people with this major are not employable.

Then, when provided actual facts from BLS showing they are and in fact make more money than plumbers, you refuse to accept those facts.

Your problem is that your ego outweighs any desire to be factually accurate.

What a fucking fraud.