Thread: TVA Closes Paradise Fossil Number 3

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Coal exports are up big time. Production is up big time. Facts are very confusing things to Democrats.
    Your drugs are confusing you again the whole point is jobs.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 10,039 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

40 years ago, these coal miners were given a choice; continue digging in the dirt and getting black lung, or install solar panels on roofs in the fresh air and possibly getting a sunburn (but SPF 80 stops that).

What did they choose? Dirt and black lung.

So fuck 'em.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. The Following User Groans At LV426 For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-20-2019)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    40 years ago, these coal miners were given a choice; continue digging in the dirt and getting black lung, or install solar panels on roofs in the fresh air and possibly getting a sunburn (but SPF 80 stops that).

What did they choose? Dirt and black lung.

So fuck 'em.
    Do you think that solar panels would have saved the North East from massive blackouts in the last couple of years? Listen dopey fuck, without coal New England would have been fucked big time, however you're far too stupid to appreciate that fact.

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Your drugs are confusing you again the whole point is jobs.
    Democrats do not care about jobs. If they did, they would not have tried to take some away. Katzgar, I can see why you are broke and destitute.

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Do you think that solar panels would have saved the North East from massive blackouts in the last couple of years?
    Yes.

And what blackouts? The only one I can remember was the one in 2003 that struck most of the Northeast (I was living in NYC at the time), and from what I recall that was caused by a Canadian power station going bonkers, and had more to do with our aging grid, which is why a smart grid would have stopped it. Incidentally, a smart grid is what we could have used those Clinton-era surpluses to pay for, but instead Conservatives gave tax cuts to the wealthy and the economy tanked.

Listen dopey fuck, without coal New England would have been fucked big time, however you're far too stupid to appreciate that fact.
    Nah. Not with a smart grid and renewable sources. We could have had both, but Conservatives chose to stick behind Big Coal instead. Look where it got them; black lung, job loss, and plant closures. Germany is a good test model for it since its climate is similar to New England, and the German population is about the population of New England + New York City. In fact, Germany closed their last coal mine last year.

Good work sticking it to yourself.

7. The Following User Groans At LV426 For This Awful Post:

8. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do you think that solar panels would have saved the North East from massive blackouts in the last couple of years? Listen dopey fuck, without coal New England would have been fucked big time, however you're far too stupid to appreciate that fact.
    Have you ever known him to not be an idiot?

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Yes.

And what blackouts? The only one I can remember was the one in 2003 that struck most of the Northeast (I was living in NYC at the time), and from what I recall that was caused by a Canadian power station going bonkers, and had more to do with our aging grid, which is why a smart grid would have stopped it. Incidentally, a smart grid is what we could have used those Clinton-era surpluses to pay for, but instead Conservatives gave tax cuts to the wealthy and the economy tanked.

Nah. Not with a smart grid and renewable sources. We could have had both, but Conservatives chose to stick behind Big Coal instead. Look where it got them; black lung, job loss, and plant closures. Germany is a good test model for it since its climate is similar to New England, and the German population is about the population of New England + New York City. In fact, Germany closed their last coal mine last year.

Good work sticking it to yourself.
    God, you're truly beyond salvation, I give up!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/03/...-bomb-cyclone/

10. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

God, you're truly beyond salvation, I give up!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/03/...-bomb-cyclone/
    Well, all you said here was that coal-fired plants prevented blackouts...but if those plants had been replaced by 40 years of renewable energy and a smart grid, then the same result would have happened, only renewables would have prevented the blackouts instead of coal.

So not sure what you're trying to prove here, other than power plants produce power.

11. The Following User Groans At LV426 For This Awful Post:

12. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

I have not changed what I have been saying here since this whole thing started. The problem is neither you nor Domer understand radiant heat. At all. Radiant heat does not heat air directly. It heats objects. For example there wannabe scientist, H2O particles are not air. Dust particles are not air. Soot is not air. You can stop trying to bullshit your way through things like Domer. You look just as stupid. You have to be another Democrat. They rely on idiots like you to keep them in office.
    Let's start with some simple facts here. Matter has 3 states, solid, liquid, and gas. Air is basically a collection of molecules in their gaseous state. The atmosphere contains several different gases and also some particulates. Molecules are not particulates although particulates are made up of molecules. Particulates in a gaseous mixture are actually collections of molecules in solid or liquid form.

Temperature is based on how fast molecules are vibrating. The higher the temperature the faster they are vibrating. Any molecule can vibrate. How that molecule is caused to vibrate can vary depending on the molecule.

Radiant heat does not heat air directly.
    Bullshit on your part. Radiation that is the right wavelength to cause a molecule to vibrate is directly heating that molecule. Even molecules in a gaseous state can be heated by radiation. Energy is directly transferring to the molecule from the radiation. That is why the sun doesn't heat the atmosphere as much as the earth does. The sun doesn't provide the same wavelengths as the earth's radiation does. However, the sun does heat the atmosphere to some extent. Once a molecule in the atmosphere is heated by radiation it then will lose that heat (the second law of thermodynamics) which it can do by radiation or by conduction to surrounding molecules.

It heats objects.
    Objects are made up of molecules. It is the increased molecule movement in the object that is what occurs when it is heated. That statement right there shows you to know nothing about how radiant heat transfer occurs.

H2O particles are not air.
    H2O is a molecule. Like all molecules H2O can be in a gaseous state. Water can exist in all 3 states in the atmosphere. To claim it is never in gaseous state in the atmosphere shows your ignorance. H20 molecules in gaseous state in the atmosphere can be heated by radiation from the sun.

I see, you once again resort to name calling. What was it about people that have to call names instead of making arguments?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

13. The Following User Groans At Poor Richard Saunders For This Awful Post:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

domer76 (02-20-2019)

15. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Let's start with some simple facts here. Matter has 3 states, solid, liquid, and gas. Air is basically a collection of molecules in their gaseous state. The atmosphere contains several different gases and also some particulates. Molecules are not particulates although particulates are made up of molecules. Particulates in a gaseous mixture are actually collections of molecules in solid or liquid form.

Temperature is based on how fast molecules are vibrating. The higher the temperature the faster they are vibrating. Any molecule can vibrate. How that molecule is caused to vibrate can vary depending on the molecule.

Bullshit on your part. Radiation that is the right wavelength to cause a molecule to vibrate is directly heating that molecule. Even molecules in a gaseous state can be heated by radiation. Energy is directly transferring to the molecule from the radiation. That is why the sun doesn't heat the atmosphere as much as the earth does. The sun doesn't provide the same wavelengths as the earth's radiation does. However, the sun does heat the atmosphere to some extent. Once a molecule in the atmosphere is heated by radiation it then will lose that heat (the second law of thermodynamics) which it can do by radiation or by conduction to surrounding molecules.

Objects are made up of molecules. It is the increased molecule movement in the object that is what occurs when it is heated. That statement right there shows you to know nothing about how radiant heat transfer occurs.

H2O is a molecule. Like all molecules H2O can be in a gaseous state. Water can exist in all 3 states in the atmosphere. To claim it is never in gaseous state in the atmosphere shows your ignorance. H20 molecules in gaseous state in the atmosphere can be heated by radiation from the sun.

I see, you once again resort to name calling. What was it about people that have to call names instead of making arguments?
    You're the one full of shit, both O2 and N2, which compose over 99% of air do not absorb infrared photons. CO2 does but at three narrow wavelengths only, for a period of femtoseconds, and not at the wavelengths in domestic heating systems. To attempt to equate the radiative forcing effect with domestic heating systems is sophistry of the highest order.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 02-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.

16. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You have yet to show any of that. You are however really good at bullshitting.
    Nice try, sailor.

I know that failing to put a comma between a statement and someone's name is a grammar mistake and not spelling error. You on the other hand accused me of correcting your spelling. Your failure to address my sentence in it's entirety is what is bullshitting. (Actually, it's a logical fallacy. Something you seem to resort to a lot.)

17. The Following User Groans At Poor Richard Saunders For This Awful Post:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

domer76 (02-20-2019), LV426 (02-20-2019)

19. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nice try, sailor.

I know that failing to put a comma between a statement and someone's name is a grammar mistake and not spelling error. You on the other hand accused me of correcting your spelling. Your failure to address my sentence in it's entirety is what is bullshitting. (Actually, it's a logical fallacy. Something you seem to resort to a lot.)
    Address post 190!!

20. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're the one full of shit, both O2 and N2, which compose over 98% of air do not absorb infrared.
    I never said anything about O2 and N2 absorb infrared so it is your statement that is full of shit when you imply that I made that claim. Just to be clear, O2 does absorb infrared but it is a very narrow band and the percentages of O2 in the atmosphere keep it from being a large warming factor.

CO2 does but at three narrow wavelengths only, for a period of femtoseconds,
    The majority is at those 3 wavelengths but then I never said otherwise. There are some other minor ones. But you seem to ignore that a molecule constantly bombarded with infrared will be constantly heated so that it reaches an equilibrium in its absorption and radiation rates thus raising its temperature compared to a molecule that is only hit briefly with infrared. The sun is a pretty constant source of energy. The earth when heated by the sun is not a femtosecond radiation source either.

and not at the wavelengths in domestic heating systems.
    I never said any such thing. Your bringing it up domestic heating systems is an obvious strawman fallacy.

To attempt to equate the radiative forcing effect with domestic heating systems is sophistry of the highest order.
    I never brought up any domestic heating systems. The only one practicing sophistry is you. Care to discuss what I actually said?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

domer76 (02-20-2019)

22. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Address post 190!!
    Yes, sir! Right away, sir!

Down at the pub they refer to you as "that stupid git", don't they?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

domer76 (02-20-2019), LV426 (02-20-2019)

24. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, sir! Right away, sir!

Down at the pub, they refer to you as "that stupid git", don't they?
    Looks like you got your arrogant ass handed to you again. That is what happens when you try to fake your way through things. Typical liberal. Dumb as a rock.