Members banned from this thread: evince, domer76 and Frank Apisa

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what is the democrats argument going to be?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Default So what is the democrats argument going to be?

So leftists who said Trump wouldn’t dare declare a national emergency are now scrambling and whining about filing suit.

The question is on what grounds.

They can’t claim that he is acting outside the law because the National Emergency act of 1976 is very clear in giving the President authority

The 2006 act says a wall shall be built

Are leftists now claiming that after 40 years the National Emergency Act is unconstitutional? And if so, on what grounds? And if they think it is unconstitutional now why didn’t they think so the 13 times Obama used it. Or for that matter when Bush 43 used it?

Are they going to try to claim that Trump is appropriating money? Well Presidents have always been able to move money around. Where do you think Obama got the $1.7 billion he paid the Mullahs? That money wasn’t appropriated by Congress.

The left is on weak ground. That isn’t to mean the 9th Circus won’t do their bidding but the USSC will upohold it. And at that point leftists are gonna wish they ponied up $5.7 billion

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

Callinectes (02-16-2019), Darth Omar (02-17-2019), Earl (02-17-2019), MAGA MAN (02-16-2019), Sirthinksalot (02-18-2019), Tkaffen (02-18-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

They don't have an argument that makes any sense. Trump is playing chess and they are playing checkers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Callinectes (02-16-2019), Earl (02-17-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    So leftists who said Trump wouldn’t dare declare a national emergency are now scrambling and whining about filing suit.

They can’t claim that he is acting outside the law because the National Emergency act of 1976 is very clear in giving the President authority

The 2006 act says a wall shall be built

Are leftists now claiming that after 40 years the National Emergency Act is unconstitutional? And if so, on what grounds? And if they think it is unconstitutional now why didn’t they think so the 13 times Obama used it. Or for that matter when Bush 43 used it?

Are they going to try to claim that Trump is appropriating money? Well Presidents have always been able to move money around. Where do you think Obama got the $1.7 billion he paid the Mullahs? That money wasn’t appropriated by Congress.

The left is on weak ground. That isn’t to mean the 9th Circus won’t do their bidding but the USSC will upohold it. And at that point leftists are gonna wish they ponied up $5.7 billion

In 1976, Congress passed the National Emergencies Act, which permits the president to pronounce a national emergency when he considers it appropriate. The act offers no specific definition of “emergency” and allows a president to declare one entirely at his or her discretion.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

Callinectes (02-16-2019), Darth Omar (02-17-2019), Earl (02-17-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post

In 1976, Congress passed the National Emergencies Act, which permits the president to pronounce a national emergency when he considers it appropriate. The act offers no specific definition of “emergency” and allows a president to declare one entirely at his or her discretion.
    I ain’t no lawyer like some here, but the words seem very clear

Also, Nazi Pelosi said that a democrat president would use it to ban guns. Well if they get it declared unconstitutional how will they use it

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

I ain’t no lawyer like some here, but the words seem very clear

Also, Nazi Pelosi said that a democrat president would use it to ban guns. Well if they get it declared unconstitutional how will they use it
    As a soapbox to whine from.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

Earl (02-17-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Noth8ng from our stellar JPP legal minds?

Maybe Nancy hasn’t told them what to think yet?
    Last edited by canceled.2021.1; 02-17-2019 at 03:55 AM.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    They don't have an argument that makes any sense. Trump is playing chess and they are playing checkers.
    According to JPP leftists Nazi Palousy has outplayed Trump. They said we would get no wall. The list of JPP leftists who said we would get no wall is long if not undistinguished

I figgered given the stellar legal minds we have from the left, they could craft a coherent argument as to why President Trump doesn’t have statutory authority to declare a National Emergency?

They also need to craft a cogent argument as to why he can’t use the funds he claims to have?

You see they forget that Obama waged war on Libya using National Emergency powers and monies Congress didn’t appropriate.

I have looked and I can’t find one JPP leftist at the time squealing about it. Not one. Not a single one.

So here I am asking JPP leftists for an honest debate about this issue with minimal thread bans and all I get is crickets

I wonder if some enterprising JPP leftist will come along and say “if you hadn’t thread banned anyone we would take you seriously”. I wouldn’t put it past them

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post

I wasn’t aware of that Act.

In a more sane political climate—and under any other president besides Trump, this would be an absolute yawner. SCOTUS may find a way to block it but it’s going to take some imagination.

The emergency part is a subjective and the president, under said Act, has the authority to make the call. SCOTUS doesn’t have the authority to declare what is or isn’t a national emergency. So that’s off the table. Unless the court wants to hold that the Act itself is unconstitutional.

The funding part is only an issue with funds allocated by congress. Once funds are allocated to the military or Corp of Engineers [for example] they can be used at the discretion of the respective department heads.

And imagination runs both ways lol. A wall can be considered part of infrastructure. It IS infrastructure, in fact. Concrete and rebar is about as ‘infrastructure’ as it gets.

On paper, it should be a slam dunk.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (02-17-2019)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Leftists who said Trump wouldn't dare declare a national emergency were saying even Trump couldn't be that stupid.
    So the argument now is going to be: Our bad, he actually is that stupid.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

According to JPP leftists Nazi Palousy has outplayed Trump. They said we would get no wall. The list of JPP leftists who said we would get no wall is long if not undistinguished

I figgered given the stellar legal minds we have from the left, they could craft a coherent argument as to why President Trump doesn’t have statutory authority to declare a National Emergency?

They also need to craft a cogent argument as to why he can’t use the funds he claims to have?

You see they forget that Obama waged war on Libya using National Emergency powers and monies Congress didn’t appropriate.

I have looked and I can’t find one JPP leftist at the time squealing about it. Not one. Not a single one.

So here I am asking JPP leftists for an honest debate about this issue with minimal thread bans and all I get is crickets

I wonder if some enterprising JPP leftist will come along and say “if you hadn’t thread banned anyone we would take you seriously”. I wouldn’t put it past them
    Excellent observations.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Leftists who said Trump wouldn't dare declare a national emergency were saying even Trump couldn't be that stupid.
    So the argument now is going to be: Our bad, he actually is that stupid.
    Despite your claims that he's stupid, he still kicked Hillary's political ass 304 - 227.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

the only ones that want the wall are you mothers basement dwellers.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    the only ones that want the wall are you mothers basement dwellers.
    Actually, I’ve heard the polls numbers are creeping up in support of it lol.

And you know how the congress critters obsess over poll numbers lol. Almost as bad as you lefties.

Almost.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

It depends on whether all the provisions of the act are followed by the Trump administration. Trump's press conference is not enough to declare an emergency. He now has to publish it in the National Register and submit certain paperwork to Congress.

It also says he has to specify which laws give him the power to act. He is required by law to submit those to Congress and keep full and complete records that are submitted to Congress in a timely fashion.

There are differences of when Obama used it and Trump using it this time. Trump has already declared other emergencies and there was no dispute. The argument here is that the President can't take money appropriated for one purpose and use it for another without authorization from Congress. For him to do so is a violation of Art I which states all appropriations must be authorized by Congress. It isn't declaring an emergency that is a violation of the Constitution. It is a question of whether Congress can delegate it's Constitutional duties to the President when it comes to appropriating money.

Are they going to try to claim that Trump is appropriating money? Well Presidents have always been able to move money around.
    No, they can't take money appropriated for the Military and spend it on Farm subsidies. It doesn't work that way. Money is specifically authorized for certain departments. The question is where was the money appropriated that Trump is now planning to use for building his wall.

Where do you think Obama got the $1.7 billion he paid the Mullahs? That money wasn’t appropriated by Congress.
    No, That money was confiscated from Iranian bank accounts. It was never tax payer money.

We won't know what grounds they are on until Trump starts doing the proper paperwork. A court could easily place an injunction on spending any money until the law is correctly complied with.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

christiefan915 (02-17-2019), domer76 (02-17-2019)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

So what is the democrats argument going to be?
    "It's our party and we'll cry if we want to".........