Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Proud Boy

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestry.com - apparently I am extremely & blindingly white

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default Ancestry.com - apparently I am extremely & blindingly white

All northern European, which probably explains why I cannot get a tan and tend to blind people when I take off my shirt.

Ancestry.com

66% Eastern European & Russia
    18% Baltic States
    11% Germanic Europe
    5% Scotland, Ireland, or Wales

The Russian DNA was obviously unsurprising.
    The Baltic states DNA is likely explained because my paternal relatives come from Belarus, which historically was once part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, undoubtedly contributing to a mixed brew of Slavs and Balts. Since my maternal side comes from an old Cossack family in southern Russia, I was surprised to not see any Tatar or Central Asian - but either the amount of Tatar DNA is too small to discriminate, or Ancestry.com simply does not have the database to screen for trace amounts of central Asian DNA.
    There is a McClintock somewhere in my background, obviously a contribution to the Sottish DNA.

My favorite DNA ancestry stories are actually when Trump-supporters find out they have sub-Saharan African ancestry.

When White Nationalists Get DNA Tests That Reveal African Ancestry

The white-nationalist forum Stormfront hosts discussions on a wide range of topics, from politics to guns to The Lord of the Rings. And of particular and enduring interest: genetic ancestry tests. For white nationalists, DNA tests are a way to prove their racial purity. Of course, their results don’t always come back that way. And how white nationalists try to explain away non-European ancestry is rather illuminating of their beliefs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...cestry/537108/
    Last edited by Cypress; 02-15-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: fixed typo in title

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Aimée (02-15-2019), Bill (02-16-2019), christiefan915 (02-15-2019), domer76 (02-15-2019), evince (02-15-2019), Guno צְבִי (02-16-2019), kudzu (02-15-2019), Phantasmal (02-15-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-15-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have always wanted to do those DNA tests for both my son and me. I glow in the dark, but my son does not.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Jack (02-15-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-15-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Aimée View Post
    I have always wanted to do those DNA tests for both my son and me. I glow in the dark, but my son does not.
    It's a lot of fun, I would recommend it.
    Ancestry.com found a lot of second and third cousins of mine in their database, according to the DNA results - so that was pretty cool.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Aimée (02-15-2019), Guno צְבִי (02-16-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-15-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Ancestry.com found a lot of second and third cousins of mine in their database, according to the DNA results - so that was pretty cool.
    Thank you! I think it would be a lot of fun, too.

That's so awesome that it was able to find your cousins for you! I am hoping to find different family members, too, when I finally take the tests. I definitely need to do some research, too. There is a town in New Brunswick that bears my maiden name. I would love to find out why. I need to go there, too!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Bill (02-16-2019), Cypress (02-15-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-15-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,765 Times in 33,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

All northern European, which probably explains why I cannot get a tan and tend to blind people when I take off my shirt.

Ancestry.com

18% Baltic States
    11% Germanic Europe

The Baltic states DNA is likely explained because my paternal relatives come from Belarus, which historically was once part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, undoubtedly contributing to a mixed brew of Slavs and Balts. Since my maternal side comes from an old Cossack family in southern Russia, I was surprised to not see any Tatar or Central Asian - but either the amount of Tatar DNA is too small to discriminate, or Ancestry.com simply does not have the database to screen for trace amounts of central Asian DNA.
    There is a McClintock somewhere in my background, obviously a contribution to the Sottish DNA.

My favorite DNA ancestry stories are actually when Trump-supporters find out they have sub-Saharan African ancestry.
    It’s fascinating.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (02-15-2019)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another cool thing you can do with your raw DNA scores is plug them into Promethease.com's search engine, which will come back with an analysis of your genetic goodies, including health/medical aspects as well as your phenotype (eye color, hair color, etc.). It's only $5. I discovered that I am the lucky recipient of the best version (their words) of the FOX03 gene, both alleles, which codes for a very long life span .... well over 100, they said. Unfortunately, I also have one copy of the dread APOE gene that gives its owner a higher risk of developing Alzheimers dementia. So I'll live a long time but won't remember any of it. lol

Does Ancestry's kit also give you the % of Neanderthal genes you might have?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (02-15-2019), christiefan915 (02-15-2019), Cypress (02-15-2019), evince (02-15-2019)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,765 Times in 33,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Another cool thing you can do with your raw DNA scores is plug them into Promethease.com's search engine, which will come back with an analysis of your genetic goodies, including health/medical aspects as well as your phenotype (eye color, hair color, etc.). It's only $5. I discovered that I am the lucky recipient of the best version (their words) of the FOX03 gene, both alleles, which codes for a very long life span .... well over 100, they said. Unfortunately, I also have one copy of the dread APOE gene that gives its owner a higher risk of developing Alzheimers dementia. So I'll live a long time but won't remember any of it. lol

Thanks! Great info

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-15-2019)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm 80 something percent English.
    1% African.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Aimée (02-15-2019), christiefan915 (02-15-2019), Cypress (02-15-2019), evince (02-15-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-16-2019)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I took the Test. And then they give you all kinds of 'hints' that corroborate any Family History that was handed down. Once you go back 8 or 9 generations, you have ALL KINDS of Ancestors.
    (I have many from Scarboro (Scarborough), Maine. Along with Boston from the 1600s)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Aimée (02-15-2019), Bill (02-16-2019), evince (02-15-2019)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

Thanks for the intel!

I haven't really reviewed everything they sent me - it is on my to-do list!

I don't know if they have Neanderthal DNA results, I will have to look because that is super cool. I feel like I may be a little more evolutionarily primitive than your average human, so I think I need to be screened for Homo Erectus dna!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-15-2019)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I took the Test. And then they give you all kinds of 'hints' that corroborate any Family History that was handed down. Once you go back 8 or 9 generations, you have ALL KINDS of Ancestors.
    (I have many from Scarboro (Scarborough), Maine. Along with Boston from the 1600s)
    That's so cool! When my sister started our family tree, she found some ancestors on Mum's side who were from around Boston. On Pa's side, one set of great-grandparents were from up around St. Anne de Beaupré and the other set was from New Brunswick.

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's so cool! When my sister started our family tree, she found some ancestors on Mum's side who were from around Boston. On Pa's side, one set of great-grandparents were from up around St. Anne de Beaupré and the other set was from New Brunswick.
    It's kind of interesting how the lineage winds through time and history. One guy was a Merchant on Congress St. in Boston, another guy was a Doctor in Portland.
    Do you know where the Saco Valley is? Got lots of New Englanders there. Lots of 'religious' names: Phineas, Sarah, Isaac, Josiah, Hannah, Amos, Abigail, ... and they all had like 10 kids.

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's kind of interesting how the lineage winds through time and history. One guy was a Merchant on Congress St. in Boston, another guy was a Doctor in Portland.
    Do you know where the Saco Valley is? Got lots of New Englanders there. Lots of 'religious' names: Phineas, Sarah, Isaac, Josiah, Hannah, Amos, Abigail, ... and they all had like 10 kids.
    Yes, that's in Western Maine near the New Hampshire border. It's in the foothills and mountains. Gorgeous area. LOL! That's a LOT of kids each!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Jack (02-15-2019)

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thank you! I think it would be a lot of fun, too.

That's so awesome that it was able to find your cousins for you! I am hoping to find different family members, too, when I finally take the tests. I definitely need to do some research, too. There is a town in New Brunswick that bears my maiden name. I would love to find out why. I need to go there, too!
    You would find it very rewarding to learn more about your ancestors. It seems to me that all of us, all humans, are drawn to know about our past. On that tangent, cousin sent me this quote.

“From which innermost depths of the soul arises the irrepressible urge to connect past and present, the insistent desire to discover ancestors and find their resting places? Why do we thirst to know our heritage? Why does my soul want to look back?” 
    - O. Sedelnikov-Verbitsky
    My family can trace our direct lineage back through 13 generations to a gentleman named Pavel who lived 500 years ago. The only reason we can do that, is the family was minor Russian hereditary nobility - not meaning that they were part of the royal bloodline, but they were an old, land-owning family of minor nobles who traced roots went back to Rus Principalities of Medieval times. And consequently, there are property records and legal records in the national archives in Saint Petersburg that document five centuries of family history.

Wrapping up, I wish you good fortune and lots of fun in your genealogical endeavors!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bill (02-16-2019), ThatOwlWoman (02-16-2019)

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Ancestry.com

18% Baltic States
    11% Germanic Europe

Well if it makes you feel better Ancestry.com DNA test isn’t exactly well known for its accuracy.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-16-2019)