Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Alabama church removes pew honoring Confederate president An Alabama church

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    6,726
    Thanks
    17,588
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,072 Posts
    Groans
    47
    Groaned 298 Times in 283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Alabama church removes pew honoring Confederate president An Alabama church

    Burn it in a woodpile


    An Alabama church has removed a pew that honored Confederate President Jefferson Davis saying the memorial had no place at a time when rebel symbols have been adopted by white supremacists.

    The pastor of St. John's Episcopal Church, Robert C. Wisnewski Jr., posted a message on the church website last week saying the wooden pew was dedicated more than 90 years ago at a service featuring a pro-lynching segregationist.


    "Confederate monuments and symbols have increasingly been used by groups that promote white supremacy and are now, to many people of all races, seen to represent insensitivity, hatred, and even evil," Wisnewski wrote. "The mission of our parish is diametrically opposed to what these symbols have come to mean."

    The mostly white church is in Montgomery, where Davis lived briefly before the Confederacy moved its national capital to Richmond, Virginia, in 1861. Church lore maintained that a pew marked with a bronze plaque honoring Davis dated to the start of the Civil War, the pastor wrote.


    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ident-60975838
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Prairieville
    Posts
    11,101
    Thanks
    1,294
    Thanked 5,351 Times in 3,542 Posts
    Groans
    327
    Groaned 715 Times in 676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Burn it in a woodpile


    An Alabama church has removed a pew that honored Confederate President Jefferson Davis saying the memorial had no place at a time when rebel symbols have been adopted by white supremacists.

    The pastor of St. John's Episcopal Church, Robert C. Wisnewski Jr., posted a message on the church website last week saying the wooden pew was dedicated more than 90 years ago at a service featuring a pro-lynching segregationist.


    "Confederate monuments and symbols have increasingly been used by groups that promote white supremacy and are now, to many people of all races, seen to represent insensitivity, hatred, and even evil," Wisnewski wrote. "The mission of our parish is diametrically opposed to what these symbols have come to mean."

    The mostly white church is in Montgomery, where Davis lived briefly before the Confederacy moved its national capital to Richmond, Virginia, in 1861. Church lore maintained that a pew marked with a bronze plaque honoring Davis dated to the start of the Civil War, the pastor wrote.


    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ident-60975838

    Step by step

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

    guno (02-11-2019)

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ocala,FL
    Posts
    11,784
    Thanks
    10,661
    Thanked 5,864 Times in 4,314 Posts
    Groans
    22
    Groaned 694 Times in 658 Posts

    Default

    Destruction of a perfectly good seat. Just rip off the plaque. Pews inside of the church shouldn't be "dedicated" to any human being anyway.
    "The only way the hard leftists can exist in order to TAKE things, you have to a free market of capitalists to MAKE the things. So, without capitalism you can't have leftism. Basically free market capitalism is the boat, hard leftism are the barnacles." ~ Greg Gutfeld

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    33,858
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 3,527 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 363 Times in 352 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Step by step
    Still thinking it changes history, huh?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to CFM For This Post:

    Earl (02-11-2019)

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,809
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3,261 Times in 2,469 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 244 Times in 229 Posts

    Default

    to be still whining about things that happened 175 years ago is a sure sign that one is not comfortable in ones own skin

    seek therapy
    I VOTED FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

    C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

    WHERES RUTH

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

    Earl (02-11-2019)

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Prairieville
    Posts
    11,101
    Thanks
    1,294
    Thanked 5,351 Times in 3,542 Posts
    Groans
    327
    Groaned 715 Times in 676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Still thinking it changes history, huh?

    the best part is it pisses you off

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    33,858
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 3,527 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 363 Times in 352 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    the best part is it pisses you off
    The funny part is you think it does.

    History doesn't change because it's removed and that pisses you off.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to CFM For This Post:

    Earl (02-11-2019)

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Prairieville
    Posts
    11,101
    Thanks
    1,294
    Thanked 5,351 Times in 3,542 Posts
    Groans
    327
    Groaned 715 Times in 676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    The funny part is you think it does.

    History doesn't change because it's removed and that pisses you off.

    Thats the difference between trumpsters and educated people. We know what a library is so removing monuments to trash was never about rewriting history. It is all about making fun of you.

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    33,858
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 3,527 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 363 Times in 352 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Thats the difference between trumpsters and educated people. We know what a library is so removing monuments to trash was never about rewriting history. It is all about making fun of you.
    Even if the monuments had never existed or you destroy all of them, the history remains. In other words, you want to remove them because it hurts your feelings.

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Prairieville
    Posts
    11,101
    Thanks
    1,294
    Thanked 5,351 Times in 3,542 Posts
    Groans
    327
    Groaned 715 Times in 676 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Even if the monuments had never existed or you destroy all of them, the history remains. In other words, you want to remove them because it hurts your feelings.

    No, I want to remove them because it hurts your feelings

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    33,858
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 3,527 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 363 Times in 352 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    No, I want to remove them because it hurts your feelings
    It doesn't hurt my feelings because with or without symbols, the past doesn't change. You're concerned more about a symbol than reality.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2019, 10:19 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-17-2018, 07:44 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 08:40 AM
  4. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 10-31-2017, 08:24 PM
  5. So did the President win in Alabama last night?
    By archives in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2017, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •