Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
I assure you that they have no clue.

A heat pump costs roughly 1/2 to operate compared to cheap electric heaters.

I just replaced the windows in my house and that alone cost $17k. The old ones were fairly energy efficient, double pane, but wood, and to paint them was getting too expensive. My new ones are fiberglass outside/ wood inside, dual pane.

To get to zero energy use you first have to go super-efficient with your insulation system. This means triple pane windows and somehow add at least 2" foam insulation. For a wood or vinyl sided house that means stripping off the siding, adding the foam then new siding. For a brick home you have to go at it from the inside, which means a complete remodel of kitchens and baths.

Then you add solar panels to get to zero net energy. Since these only work during the day you have to store energy to use when the sun isn't shining. Sure you can do this off grid with a huge bank of batteries but most homeowners don't have the brains to keep that system running, so will rely on the power company. So the big mystery is how power companies are supposed to take extra power generated during the day and somehow store it, then give it back to consumers during the day.

Currently there are few options to store energy on such a massive scale. One method is to pump up to a mountain reservoir during the day then generate power from the falling water at night. Since libs are against dams we've got a big problem there. And of course not everyone has a mountain in their region.

Large chemical batteries? Ever price a Tesla?

This will also make nuclear power useless as you can't stop and start it daily. So that clean power source is out in favor of stop-start power stations, which guess what, use oil or natural gas.

The whole idea is fucked up and these turbo-libs are too dumb to understand.
There's a new idea to simply lift a weight and store the kinetic energy and retrieve it mechanically when needed.