Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    It only makes sense doesn’t it?

Less money taken throughout the year = less of a refund

Either math is really hard for you guys or your TDS is so off the hook you can’t think straight
    I am saying the first that is just made worst by the second. Good call.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Chalk up another one who thinks tax cuts = tax refunds
    That is not what he nor the thread is claiming, although I totally agree with him that tax cut was a disaster we will be paying for for decades

As I just noted, the probability is that the average working American didn't pay enough attention to what was going down to understand at the time that withholding and personal exemptions were eliminated. Last year they thought the bump they saw in their paycheck was the tax cut, and now many of them realize that they might not get the refund they are used to, but might actually owe tax.

Just adds to the difficulties for the GOP to sell Trump's tax cuts as an accomplishment

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    That is not what he nor the thread is claiming, although I totally agree with him that tax cut was a disaster we will be paying for for decades

As I just noted, the probability is that the average working American didn't pay enough attention to what was going down to understand at the time that withholding and personal exemptions were eliminated. Last year they thought the bump they saw in their paycheck was the tax cut, and now many of them realize that they might not get the refund they are used to, but might actually owe tax.

Just adds to the difficulties for the GOP to sell Trump's tax cuts as an accomplishment
    The discussion isn't over the tax cut, it's about the refund. If the GOP gets less credit from voters because of ignorance over how taxes work then so be it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-11-2019)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The discussion isn't over the tax cut, it's about the refund. If the GOP gets less credit from voters because of ignorance over how taxes work then so be it.
    Sure it is, the political effect of the tax cut, which I do believe the thread has established isn't going to help Trump nor the GOP in the upcoming elections

And of course the American public does't fully understand tax, few do, that is why it has been a political standard for the right for decades, just like crime, demogogue tax in nearly every political discussion

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Sure it is, the political effect of the tax cut, which I do believe the thread has established isn't going to help Trump nor the GOP in the upcoming elections

And of course the American public does't fully understand tax, few do, that is why it has been a political standard for the right for decades, just like crime, demogogue tax in nearly every political discussion
    I'd argue many people see with their own two eyes the waste that occurs within our government and the services they provide us and thus question how much more of our money the government needs. To speak to that viewpoint isn't using demogaugery it's just talking about the real world.

And as far as tax refunds what really needs to be stated is what state are these folks complaining from? We know with high tax states like Cali, NY, NJ etc. the limiting of SALT deductions hits them more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Of course it makes sense, but probability is that the average working American who doesn't have the time to stay on top of things never understood that the withholding tax was eliminated along with personal exemptions, the earlier bump they saw in their paychecks they thought was the tax cut. Now the reality will sink in
    Withholding tax eliminated? WTF are you talking about?

The personal exemption went up so losing mortgage deduction only matters to rich folk. The ones you claim you want to tax more

9. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'd argue many people see with their own two eyes the waste that occurs within our government and the services they provide us and thus question how much more of our money the government needs. To speak to that viewpoint isn't using demogaugery it's just talking about the real world.
    I
    And as far as tax refunds what really needs to be stated is what state are these folks complaining from? We know with high tax states like Cali, NY, NJ etc. the limiting of SALT deductions hits them more.
    What then are you going to do down the road when these Trump tax cuts come due? You can't cut revenues and increase discretionary spending

And melodramatically throwing "tax cuts" or tax increases into every election is demagoguery, same thing as Democrats with their class struggle standard

Refunds mentioned are nationwide, it is common sense, if you eliminate payroll withholding you are going to be hit with a bigger bill in April, add in the elimination of personal exemptions and it is suprising Americans who thought they were getting "the biggest tax cut in history"

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

The personal exemption went up so losing mortgage deduction only matters to rich folk. The ones you claim you want to tax more
    Real estate taxes affect the middle class also in many communities. In addition there are a whole lot of other deductions Americans have lost thanks to Trump

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obvious you don't understand the Trump tax cut you are discussing

The payroll withholding Americans were used to was eliminated, one had to file a special W4 to have money withdrawn. In addition, personal exemptions were eliminated, the poor working shmuck with four kids lost substantially

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Real estate taxes affect the middle class also in many communities. In addition there are a whole lot of other deductions Americans have lost thanks to Trump
    That’s right. Hign tax leftist states are impacted. They can no longer pass their taxing ways to the rest of us

Want to live in a high tax state live with it. Why should the rest of us subsidize it? I have to assume those people are happy with those taxes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Obvious you don't understand the Trump tax cut you are discussing

The payroll withholding Americans were used to was eliminated, one had to file a special W4 to have money withdrawn. In addition, personal exemptions were eliminated, the poor working shmuck with four kids lost substantially
    You are a colossal dumb fuck and couldn’t be more wrong

Payroll withholding eliminated? What the fuck are you talking about?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That’s right. Hign tax leftist states are impacted. They can no longer pass their taxing ways to the rest of us

Want to live in a high tax state live with it. Why should the rest of us subsidize it? I have to assume those people are happy with those taxes
    Your ignorance of the tax laws does not allow you to learn of the many other deductions taxpayers have lost. We have lost more than a mortgage interest deduction

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your ignorance of the tax laws does not allow you to learn of the many other deductions taxpayers have lost. We have lost more than a mortgage interest deduction
    Yeah, you lost your property tax deduction. It impacts high tax states more. Not my problem.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post:

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah, you lost your property tax deduction. It impacts high tax states more. Not my problem.
    my little twat, the average tax payer has lost many more deductions than just property tax, but your handlers have just not explained them all tp you

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

my little twat, the average tax payer has lost many more deductions than just property tax, but your handlers have just not explained them all tp you
    cite dumb cunt

I love how JPP democrats are not in the position of defending tax loopholes for the rich that Trump eliminated. Gotta love it

22. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.1 For This Post: