Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forget free gasoline. Car buyers want free guns

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Forget free gasoline. Car buyers want free guns

This made my day.

Apparently a car dealer in Missouri is including a certificate with each new car he sells, good for either $250 of gasoline or $250 toward a firearm at a local FFL.

He says no one has chosen the gas yet.

Also says the promotion was inspired by Obama's "bitter people clinging to guns and God" comment.

This car dealer is my kinda guy. Too bad I'm not in the market for a new ride - I'd head to Missouri in an instant, just to boost this guy.

Course, California has a program to stick anyone who buys a new car out of state and brings it in, for the full tax bill he would have paid if he had bought it here, PLUS a hefty fine for bringing in a car that doesn't have certified California emissions equipment. Never mind that what the manufacturer puts on the car for Missouri, matches what they put on for California cars. It doesn't have the little sticker!

-----------------------------------------

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=64942

Forget free gasoline! Car buyers want free guns

Dealer aims to please by providing $250 coupon for firearms

By Andy Barnett
    Posted: May 21, 2008
    7:00 pm Eastern

BUTLER, Mo. – A Missouri car dealership is triggering interest by offering customers free guns or gasoline with any purchase, and despite the skyrocketing price of fuel, patrons are going for the guns.

"We are aware of the gasoline and crime problem in America," states an ad on the website of Max Motors. It goes on to note it "wants to be part of the solution and not part of the problem."

http://www.wnd.com/images/story/gunsgas.jpg

"What we're doing is giving everyone who buys a new or used vehicle a free handgun," said Mark Muller, the dealership's owner. "We have guns to display, but we can't actually give them a gun, so what we do is give them a coupon for a local gun dealer here in town so they can pick out any gun they want. We recommend a semi-automatic."

The certificate is good for either $250 at Alton Arms or for $250 worth of gas. Muller told WND no one has chosen the gas so far.

The promotion, which goes through the end of this month, has caused a stir among anti-gun-rights activists who turned up at the dealership to protest.

"Six people came by – a bunch of long hairs who think the '60s are still going on, and who obviously don't have jobs," Muller said. "We all went out there with our cowboy hats on and told them we'd stomp 'em, and they left."

John Alton, owner of Alton Arms, doesn't see any problem with the campaign.

"I'm a federal firearms dealer and we're registered with the federal government. Any gun I sell requires the customer to fill out the standard forms, and I do a background check on them," he said.

Local law enforcement took calls from the media after the promotion was announced, but found nothing wrong with what the dealership is doing.

"They're not doing anything illegal," said Lt. Randy Beshore of the Butler Police Department. "I think the misconception is that people thought they got the handgun right there at the dealership."

Even so, the dealership has received threatening phone calls.

"Someone who said they were with the ATF called and said 'You need to shut down this promotion right now or we're shutting you down.' I told them to bring their attorneys, I don't know if [the call] was real or fake," Muller said.

"I don't see what the problem is, we have a right to bear arms. It's in the Constitution and the reason we have [Amendment] No. 2 is to protect No. 1."

When asked if Sen. Barack Obama's recent comments about people clinging to guns and religion inspired the promotion, Muller said yes.

"My next promotion is to give away a free King James Bible to any Muslim that converts to Christianity," he said.
    The Constitution isn't perfect, but it's better than the system we're using now.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nobody chose the gas because it is only one tank's worth.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is pretty funny, but it is MO now.

$250 won't buy much of a handgun either.

4. #4 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Why is this a bad promotion? If he were giving away $250 towards a new tv everyone would say its great. The gun is an inanimate object. It is a tool that can be used to defend or or murder. Why is it that some people think it is the gun that is the problem?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

I don't think it is a bad promotion at all, and 250 would buy me the CZ 75BD I have been looking at. Or put about 1/3 down on the Kimber 45 I want

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why not just buy the gun and forget about the car?

7. #7 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

$250 won't buy much of a gun, but it might make the difference between buying junk and buying a nice firearm.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    Why is this a bad promotion? If he were giving away $250 towards a new tv everyone would say its great. The gun is an inanimate object. It is a tool that can be used to defend or or murder. Why is it that some people think it is the gun that is the problem?

Guns don't kill people! People kill people!

Kind of a logical fallacy.

Guns and people are two parts of a system, and the killing couldn't happen without one of the parts.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

9. #9 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Guns don't kill people! People kill people!

Kind of a logical fallacy.

Guns and people are two parts of a system, and the killing couldn't happen without one of the parts.
    No gun has killed anyone without a person being involved, but lots of humans have killed people without a firearm being involved. So the logical fallacy is to say that guns are the problem.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No gun has killed anyone without a person being involved, but lots of humans have killed people without a firearm being involved. So the logical fallacy is to say that guns are the problem.
    Well, it would be more appropriate to say "weapon", I guess.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

11. #11 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

There are lots of uses for firearms besides shooting other people.

I have been hunting and shooting for most of my life, and I have never fired a single shot at another person. I know dozens of target shooters and even more hunters, but I only know a select few who have ever fired a weapon at a person.

And the states that have banned private ownership of firearms, or made it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms, have seen an increase in violent crime.

But the states that have more open CCW laws and gun laws that favor private ownership have seen a decrease in violent crime rates.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=Solitary;269626]There are lots of uses for firearms besides shooting other people.

I have been hunting and shooting for most of my life, and I have never fired a single shot at another person. I know dozens of target shooters and even more hunters, but I only know a select few who have ever fired a weapon at a person.

And the states that have banned private ownership of firearms, or made it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms, have seen an increase in violent crime.
    Did you catch that slight of hand? Its like saying the army started requiring helmets to keep their soldiers from being killed but saw an INCREASE in casualties, ergo helmets are a useless thing to mandate. If you're not a moron, you know the difference between casualties and fatalities, and the same goes toward GUN CRIMES and violent crimes.

But the states that have more open CCW laws and gun laws that favor private ownership have seen a decrease in violent crime rates.
    Pulled out of your ass. Show me where a more open CCW law or statute has been passed and a subsequent drop of violent crime has occurred.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Violent crime and its causes and solutions is a difficult thing to measure. Political "solutions" to problems are often nothing more than people throwing wild darts out based on their emotions and prejudices. I've heard 10,000 different contradictory policies that began in the 90's attributed to the decline of crime in that time. Its difficult to know what factors made it happen, but they all say that it was theirs, since crime declined during the period that they instituted so and so policy, so of course it must have worked. It may not of had anything to do with any of the policies at all, but don't tell them that.

This is generally how society has been governed since the beginning of time...

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Consider the incredibly small amount of people who actually carry weapons per capita then consider whatever drop in "violent crime" you find and then try to justify in your own head how such a miniscule amount of people could have any impact at all on violent crime.

In fact, I'll bet you could only pull up a handful of newspaper reports from whatever state you choose pertaining to someone actually using their concealed weapon to prevent a crime out in the community somewhere. A handful. That can hardly be pointed to as the cause of a statistically significant drop in violent crime.

15. #15 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Actually, no I did not pull that out of my ass.

Florida adopted a right-to-carry law in 1987. Between 1987 and 1996, these changes occurred:

The homocide rate in FL dropped 36%, while the national homocide rate dropped 0.4%. The gun homocide rate in FL dropped 37%, while the national gun homocide rate rose 15%. The FL handgun homocide rate dropped 41%, while the national handgun murder rate rose 24%.

These facts come from the NRA. While the NRA may be unpopular with the anti-gun crowd, I have seen nothing that has challenged the accuracy of these facts.