Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84

Thread: Bucket list getting filled

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    21,948
    Thanks
    12,685
    Thanked 6,090 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Groans
    1,736
    Groaned 965 Times in 879 Posts

    Default Bucket list getting filled

    I just got back from a week in Germany and am able to check off several items on my bucket list.

    • Drove on several unlimited sections of the Autobahn, my fastest speed a leisurely 185 kph.
    • Skied the glacier at the top of Zugspitze.
    • Attended a World Cup downhill (womens).
    • Skied the Kandahar.
    • Visited Liechtenstein (one of four countries that day).
    • Visited one of my ancestral homes, including a working dairy farm still operated by my distant cousins.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Soul For This Post:

    anonymoose (02-04-2019), USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2019)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12,526
    Thanks
    6,502
    Thanked 3,757 Times in 2,923 Posts
    Groans
    218
    Groaned 332 Times in 309 Posts

    Default

    How could YOU spend your American dollars in those Socialist countries? You Commie Bastard!!!

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    66,614
    Thanks
    10,477
    Thanked 11,479 Times in 9,729 Posts
    Groans
    11,486
    Groaned 1,608 Times in 1,558 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I just got back from a week in Germany and am able to check off several items on my bucket list.

    • Drove on several unlimited sections of the Autobahn, my fastest speed a leisurely 185 kph.
    • Skied the glacier at the top of Zugspitze.
    • Attended a World Cup downhill (womens).
    • Skied the Kandahar.
    • Visited Liechtenstein (one of four countries that day).
    • Visited one of my ancestral homes, including a working dairy farm still operated by my distant cousins.
    I've been wanting to do one of the DNA tests, to see what part of Europe my ancestors immigrated from.

    Our last name is not one that's common in Europe and I'm pretty sure that it was "changed" at Ellis Island.

    Interesting side note:
    It appears that my Great Grandfather was married to two sisters at the same time.
    We uncovered a census from back then and my Grandfather and his sister are listed in two different homes.
    The only difference is a middle initial for both and birthdays that are different by 1 day.

    The homes were only 1 home away from each other.

    Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss, whereas they stand to receive infinite gains and avoid infinite losses.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

    Dark Soul (02-03-2019)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,657 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 561 Times in 526 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I've been wanting to do one of the DNA tests, to see what part of Europe my ancestors immigrated from.

    Our last name is not one that's common in Europe and I'm pretty sure that it was "changed" at Ellis Island.

    Interesting side note:
    It appears that my Great Grandfather was married to two sisters at the same time.
    We uncovered a census from back then and my Grandfather and his sister are listed in two different homes.
    The only difference is a middle initial for both and birthdays that are different by 1 day.

    The homes were only 1 home away from each other.
    If you visit Ellis Island they have an explanation that shows not as many family names were actually altered as popular folklore perpetuates, they really had no reason to change names

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    111,146
    Thanks
    29,803
    Thanked 16,977 Times in 13,243 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,560 Times in 11,691 Posts

  8. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

    USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2019)

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    66,614
    Thanks
    10,477
    Thanked 11,479 Times in 9,729 Posts
    Groans
    11,486
    Groaned 1,608 Times in 1,558 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    If you visit Ellis Island they have an explanation that shows not as many family names were actually altered as popular folklore perpetuates, they really had no reason to change names
    I've done some internet search's and I've come close; but they're not identical.

    A DNA test would narrow it down.

    Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss, whereas they stand to receive infinite gains and avoid infinite losses.

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    21,948
    Thanks
    12,685
    Thanked 6,090 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Groans
    1,736
    Groaned 965 Times in 879 Posts

    Default

    Prices were amazingly cheap.
    • Rented a BMW 520 Wagon for the week for $100 (bundled with the flight). Insurance was expensive though at $30/ day, and that was with 1200 Euro deductible.
    • Three bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen (including a full size dishwasher) was $1000 through AirBnB. Split between two couples cost me $500.
    • Food/ beer/ wine/ booze was cheap everywhere, especially at the Lidl supermarket. Almost everything was about 1/2 of what the same store sells here.


    Only exception was gasoline, which was about $5/ gallon.

    Now, my wife wants to live there for three or six months when we are retired. I told her that I would have to get European delivery of a new Porsche so we'll have something to drive, then have it shipped home. We're currently negotiating this deal, suggesting that I buy a used one over there then sell it before we leave.

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    21,948
    Thanks
    12,685
    Thanked 6,090 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Groans
    1,736
    Groaned 965 Times in 879 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    is it OK to be proud of where you family came from?
    WTF difference does it make? The son is guilty for the sins of the father?

  12. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    111,146
    Thanks
    29,803
    Thanked 16,977 Times in 13,243 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,560 Times in 11,691 Posts

  13. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

    USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2019)

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    111,146
    Thanks
    29,803
    Thanked 16,977 Times in 13,243 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,560 Times in 11,691 Posts

  15. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

    USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2019)

  16. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,657 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 561 Times in 526 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Prices were amazingly cheap.
    • Rented a BMW 520 Wagon for the week for $100 (bundled with the flight). Insurance was expensive though at $30/ day, and that was with 1200 Euro deductible.
    • Three bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen (including a full size dishwasher) was $1000 through AirBnB. Split between two couples cost me $500.
    • Food/ beer/ wine/ booze was cheap everywhere, especially at the Lidl supermarket. Almost everything was about 1/2 of what the same store sells here.


    Only exception was gasoline, which was about $5/ gallon.

    Now, my wife wants to live there for three or six months when we are retired. I told her that I would have to get European delivery of a new Porsche so we'll have something to drive, then have it shipped home. We're currently negotiating this deal, suggesting that I buy a used one over there then sell it before we leave.
    Aren't you going to miss stalking all those silicone breasts you seem so obsessed with a cold climate?

  17. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    21,948
    Thanks
    12,685
    Thanked 6,090 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Groans
    1,736
    Groaned 965 Times in 879 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I've done some internet search's and I've come close; but they're not identical.

    A DNA test would narrow it down.
    I did my DNA test through "23 and me". All it dies it narrow you down to regions. My Scots-Irish comes back as "British Isles". The only surprise was a small amount of Norwegian, and that was not expected, based on the written history.

    On the German side my history is well documented. Germans kept excellent records and my name is not common.

  18. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    21,948
    Thanks
    12,685
    Thanked 6,090 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Groans
    1,736
    Groaned 965 Times in 879 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Aren't you going to miss stalking all those silicone breasts you seem so obsessed with a cold climate?
    I like 'em natural.

  19. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    111,146
    Thanks
    29,803
    Thanked 16,977 Times in 13,243 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,560 Times in 11,691 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I did my DNA test through "23 and me". All it dies it narrow you down to regions. My Scots-Irish comes back as "British Isles". The only surprise was a small amount of Norwegian, and that was not expected, based on the written history.

    On the German side my history is well documented. Germans kept excellent records and my name is not common.
    you are now in the data base

  20. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

    USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2019)

  21. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    111,146
    Thanks
    29,803
    Thanked 16,977 Times in 13,243 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 12,560 Times in 11,691 Posts

  22. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

    USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2019)

Similar Threads

  1. When Donald Trump finally kicks the bucket, how will he be remembered?
    By DonaldvoTrumpovich in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-03-2018, 09:00 AM
  2. Add + to my bucket list
    By Cancel 2018.2 in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM
  3. Bucket List: Snake River Canyon - CHECK!!
    By Mr. Shaman in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2016, 10:03 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM
  5. The Bastard finally kicked the bucket
    By KILL WHITEY in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •