Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke and Bobb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Governance 101: Bad Economy - Deficit Spending. Good Economy - Pay Down The Debt.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Governance 101: Bad Economy - Deficit Spending. Good Economy - Pay Down The Debt.

During a recession (and a recovery from one) deficit spending must be accepted in order to stimulate the economy. We don't like to do this, but we really have no choice. If we don't stimulate the economy, we don't get a recovery and the debt grows anyway. During a recession we have to prime the pump. We have to invest in America so we get the ROI of a good economy later.

This runs the debt up.

So we have to pay it down when the economy is good.

Deficit spending during a good economy is irresponsible. It is not needed, and that is the only condition which allows the debt generated by a recession to be paid back down.

Republicans need to take "Governance 101."

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

(shaking head) Republicans claim that the way to pay down the Debt is to give a Tax Break to the Wealthy. (I'm really surprised you can't understand this?)

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,861 Times in 17,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,603 Times in 4,280 Posts

the Repubs are well aware of that. But their goal is to increase the debt. That includes constant tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy and cranking up the defense budget. The reds give lip service to the debt, but govern to increase it. They talk about starving the beast and ending social programs. They never waver from that goal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

evince (01-25-2019), lisasanders1964 (01-29-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    (shaking head) Republicans claim that the way to pay down the Debt is to give a Tax Break to the Wealthy. (I'm really surprised you can't understand this?)
    The failed theory is that the rich 'create jobs,' which causes the number of earners to rise, and thus the revenue. They say the growing economy will generate more revenue than was lost because tax rates were cut. Problem is, that didn't happen. They were wrong. Now we don't have enough money coming in and the debt is rising unsustainably.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (01-25-2019), Jack (01-25-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,777 Times in 27,251 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Debt is an economic tool

EVERY corporation uses debt as a tool to make more money

there is NOTHING WRONG WITH DEBT

people don't buy houses with cash very often huh

debt allows Americans to own homes nd while they pay for them they get to live in them huh

Humans DIE

so they like to pay off their debt before they die so they can leave what they have to their loved ones

COUNTRIES are not designed to DIE

that means we are always taking on debt to pay for what we need and for what we WILL NEED in the future

if a nation is NOT CARRYING DEBT they are not planning for the future

the debt question for nations is WHAT LEVEL OF DEBT

so the question is actually WHAT LEVEL is wise

because in FACT a 0 level debt is STUPID

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    the Repubs are well aware of that. But their goal is to increase the debt. That includes constant tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy and cranking up the defense budget. The reds give lip service to the debt, but govern to increase it. They talk about starving the beast and ending social programs. They never waver from that goal.
    because their real aim is to destroy government and its ability to protect everyone else whos NOT filthy assed rich

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jack,

The failed theory is that the rich 'create jobs,' which causes the number of earners to rise, and thus the revenue. They say the growing economy will generate more revenue than was lost because tax rates were cut. Problem is, that didn't happen. They were wrong. Now we don't have enough money coming in and the debt is rising unsustainably.
    and it has failed every time they drooled it out of the side of their mouths even the first time

it fails every time its tried

yet they dig up that dead body again and again

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't want higher interest rates but if debt/GDP keeps rising then interest rates will rise.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 34 Posts

Obama had the highest deficit. He also had a 74% increase in the debt.
    I don’t blame any president for the deficit and debt just like I don’t blame them for decreases in the market.
    A large part of the deficit is for mandatory spending. Social Security and Medicare are a big part of the budget and continue to increase as the population ages.
    To blame one party or the other is simply stupid.
    Every idiot politician has wasted taxpayer money.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The deficit is the highest it has been in 6 years - and still rising!

Trump is the greatest at going bankrupt - he's got lots of experience at doing that.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,272 Times in 13,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tkaffen View Post
    I don’t blame any president for the deficit and debt just like I don’t blame them for decreases in the market.
    A large part of the deficit is for mandatory spending. Social Security and Medicare are a big part of the budget and continue to increase as the population ages.
    Obama added to the debt because he was confronted with two wars, an unpaid drug prescription program, and a recession of historical proportions. However if you look at the discretionary spending, spending outside the mandate programs, under Obama it decreased nearly every year after 2012.

Trump didn't have those hurdles, and an economy advancing, endorsing the intial topic post, it was the worse time to add to the debt, discrerionary spending increased at the same time they cut federal revenue

President's do play a role

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,861 Times in 17,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,603 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tkaffen View Post
    If you were aware at all when Obama came in, you would know that he had to address the Bush/Repub second great depression. After he got the normal Republican economic crashing out of the way, he took steps to address the debt.Trump just slashed taxes on the wealthy and corporations. Can you see what that did to the debt? Thtat is the right wing plan to end social programs in action.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

'Fake News'.

Hello Jack,

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,509 Times in 7,590 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

During a recession (and a recovery from one) deficit spending must be accepted in order to stimulate the economy. We don't like to do this, but we really have no choice. If we don't stimulate the economy, we don't get a recovery and the debt grows anyway. During a recession we have to prime the pump. We have to invest in America so we get the ROI of a good economy later.

This runs the debt up.

So we have to pay it down when the economy is good.

Deficit spending during a good economy is irresponsible. It is not needed, and that is the only condition which allows the debt generated by a recession to be paid back down.

Republicans need to take "Governance 101."

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    I'm no economist but I can live with that and it sounds rational.
    I have a bidness and I can say being debt free allows me to improve my business far more than being in debt. I've known both. But I'm just a small business owner.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-27-2019)