Thread: CAPITULATION: Trump Says He'll Put Off State of the Union Until After Shutdown

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Red face CAPITULATION: Trump Says He'll Put Off State of the Union Until After Shutdown

By John Harney
    January 23, 2019, 8:37 PM PST

President Donald Trump said he would deliver his State of the Union address when the partial government shutdown is over, clarifying his plans hours after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blocked him from delivering the speech in the chamber while federal agencies are closed.

“As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed,” Trump said in the Twitter post. “She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over.”

Trump added that he was no longer looking for “an alternative venue” for the speech, which was to be delivered next week.

In a letter to Trump on Wednesday, the speaker said that earlier this month when she invited the president to give the address, “there was no thought that the government would still be shut down.”

“I look forward to welcoming you to the House on a mutually agreeable date for this address when government has been opened," said Pelosi, a California Democrat.

The letter marked a further escalation of the feud between the two leaders.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uela-president
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

It's not "capitulation" if Pelosi is using her plenary power to disinvite - she can call the shots on the venue.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

onald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an alternative venue

( plenary power)

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

President Donald Trump said he would deliver his State of the Union address when the partial government shutdown is over, clarifying his plans hours after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blocked him from delivering the speech in the chamber while federal agencies are closed.
    Dump totally folded.

Trump is not getting money for his Berlin Wall, and the sooner he figures that out, the sooner we can avoid Trump taking us over the cliff into an economic crash.

Blackmail and extortion are never going to work, and I am amazed actually that Republicans have not learned that lesson after so many failed attempts at shutting down the government.

It Trump wants money for his Berlin Wall, he can beg the President of Mexico for the cash - which is what he repeatedly said he was going to do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bill (01-24-2019)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I guess Fox was right......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Now he is trying to make us pay for his fucking wall!!!!!!!!!!!!