1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    the trumpsters on here have never heard of WAITR
    Neither has anyone else....what is a WAITR?

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    I saw several of them on the news last night, handing out Free Food to Federal Workers who are in the middle of Trump's Shut Down.
    Gullible lying fool thinks this is about Trump.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Agree about the eating out. We do it for special occasions, and we do take out a few times/week if we're both too busy to cook. I'm often left underwhelmed by the food that we get at new sit down establishments, but we typically frequent places that we are happy with.

The problem is that nobody wants to start the process of putting more money into the hands of those who drive the economy....the consumers. In theory, business will do better when everyone has money to spend. $15/hr. doesn't quite get anyone there, but it helps.
    Another massive pile of stupid; you never disappoint and prove why you are a constituent of the Party of the Jackass.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I personally have zero desire to promote more consumerism.
    Without consumerism, there is no economy. Think about that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Wolverine (01-23-2019)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Higher wages is what allows people to enjoy eating out in the first place.
    One does not obtain a higher wage through arbitrary minimum wage laws that force businesses to raise their cost of doing business. One does that by obtaining needed job skills and through education.

I bet you think corporations pay taxes too!

Higher wages works in the favor of businesses, because more money is available for people to spend on privileges, rather than just necessities.
    Arbitrarily raising wage costs favors no one and causes inflation which negates any attempts to arbitrarily raise wages.

So tell me, if your laughably naive theory were true, wouldn't raising the minimum wage to $45 an hour be a massive boon to the economy?

If your business depends on cheap labor just to make yourself a profit, you shouldn't even be in business in the first place, as you are simply fostering poverty, and not much help to anyone but yourself.
    So what is the value of someone who has no education, and perhaps, does not speak the countries language? You seem to believe that washing dishes is a highly sought after skill that few have; why?

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    “In theory”, sure Althea, “in theory” we could raise the minimum wage to $30/hr (or any arbitrary amount) and workers would have more money but doesn’t address economic realities such as price inflation and the lost jobs
    Two thoughts there, why do some assume that raising the minimium wage will automatically lead to cost push inflation? I know the standard reply that then the cost of say the burgers will rise etc., but from what I've seen that is not necessarily true, competition over costs has always kept those businesses' products low, there will always be a cheaper pizza to be had. Believe the reality is somewhere inbetween

And secondly, the economy could use more money in circulation. After the sugar high from the stimulus for the rich wears off we will return to the slower growth we have experienced since 2010, beginning to occur now

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Without consumerism, there is no economy. Think about that.
    Not true at all. The reason houses are so expensive is because their value is seen as an investment and not in their utility. In a performance economy, transactions still occur, but the focus is on reducing waster, longer product life spans, and the ability to repair those things that break instead of tossing them in the trash because it is cheaper and easier to get a new one. It is why I will never replace my dishwasher. The thing is old as dirt but still runs like a champ. If I replaced it, I would end up replacing it 4 or 5 times when the one I have would still otherwise likely be doing fine.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

One does not obtain a higher wage through arbitrary minimum wage laws that force businesses to raise their cost of doing business. One does that by obtaining needed job skills and through education.

Arbitrarily raising wage costs favors no one and causes inflation which negates any attempts to arbitrarily raise wages.

So tell me, if your laughably naive theory were true, wouldn't raising the minimum wage to $45 an hour be a massive boon to the economy?

So what is the value of someone who has no education, and perhaps, does not speak the countries language? You seem to believe that washing dishes is a highly sought after skill that few have; why?
    Hillarious!

Go ask the people in Santa Fe, New Mexico! Santa Fe outsmarted themselves a few years back when the mayor and city council put a moratorium on affordable housing and tore down all the afordable properties and replaced them with high end multi-million dollar McMansions.

The first thing happened, was restaurants weren't able to even attract lower waged restaurant employees anymore because they couldn't afford to live there and they couldn't afford to commute, and Santa Fe is isolated out in the middle of a desert.

So, businesses like Dunkin' Donuts had to pay their staff $20.00 an hour minimum for them to be able to afford to commute back and forth from the outlying areas.

Shit! You have people in Santa Fe, New Mexico making $25 an hour working at McDonalds!

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Not true at all. The reason houses are so expensive is because their value is seen as an investment and not in their utility. In a performance economy, transactions still occur, but the focus is on reducing waster, longer product life spans, and the ability to repair those things that break instead of tossing them in the trash because it is cheaper and easier to get a new one. It is why I will never replace my dishwasher. The thing is old as dirt but still runs like a champ. If I replaced it, I would end up replacing it 4 or 5 times when the one I have would still otherwise likely be doing fine.
    Again; without consumerism, there is no economy.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Two thoughts there, why do some assume that raising the minimium wage will automatically lead to cost push inflation?
    It is not an ASSUMPTION; when you arbitrarily raise the cost of doing business, that increase is passed onto the consumers. The result, inflation.

And secondly, the economy could use more money in circulation.
    Arbitrary increases in the cost of doing business does not create more money. Anyone with a high school economics education knows this.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hillarious!

Go ask the people in Santa Fe, New Mexico! Santa Fe outsmarted themselves a few years back when the mayor and city council put a moratorium on affordable housing and tore down all the afordable properties and replaced them with high end multi-million dollar McMansions.

The first thing happened, was restaurants weren't able to even attract lower waged restaurant employees anymore because they couldn't afford to live there and they couldn't afford to commute, and Santa Fe is isolated out in the middle of a desert.

So, businesses like Dunkin' Donuts had to pay their staff $20.00 an hour minimum for them to be able to afford to commute back and forth from the outlying areas.

Shit! You have people in Santa Fe, New Mexico making $25 an hour working at McDonalds!
    How does this bloviation address the FACTS in my post? Do you have a link to any of the laughable claims you are making above?

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Go ask the people in Santa Fe, New Mexico!
    New Mexico's state minimum wage rate is $7.50 per hour.

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Link please.

Link please.

Link please.

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Higher minimum is about nothing but raking in more tax dollars, Democrats don't care about these people, except for the fact it's more money to give away!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolverine For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-23-2019)

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Two thoughts there, why do some assume that raising the minimium wage will automatically lead to cost push inflation? I know the standard reply that then the cost of say the burgers will rise etc., but from what I've seen that is not necessarily true, competition over costs has always kept those businesses' products low, there will always be a cheaper pizza to be had. Believe the reality is somewhere inbetween

And secondly, the economy could use more money in circulation. After the sugar high from the stimulus for the rich wears off we will return to the slower growth we have experienced since 2010, beginning to occur now
    I don’t think it automatically leads to inflation but plenty of examples show it leading to increased costs.

I don’t see it as any sort of stimulus. IMO, cities and states can raise the minimum wage as they see fit. The federal government shouldn’t.