Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: New York Restaurants Struggle to Adapt to Higher Wages

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    That is because Racism and poor disregard for low income workers is your theme Bullshit Boy!

And I showed your ugly ass how that kind of mentality can have a very negative effect!
    There is a way to not be low income!

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post

So what is the value of someone who has no education, and perhaps, does not speak the countries language? You seem to believe that washing dishes is a highly sought after skill that few have; why?
    Here you go with your lack of respect for others, judging others from your lofty little perch, making racist generalizations about low wage earners.

Let me tell you, that people have to be able to afford a roof over their head, transportation back and forth from work, food, utilities, health insurance, automobile insurance, and be able to feed themselves. And anyone looking for a job will also need the internet and a cell phone. Regardless whether they are looking for a place to start- or get a better paying job.

You tell me how anyone making the minimum wage (40 hours @ $7.50 = $300) would ever be able to support oneself in any town in America?

I thought you held people to providing for themselves- providing for their own healthcare- and not having to rely upon government assistance?

And you think $1200 a month- before taxes- is enough for people to accomplish that?

Everybody has to start somewhere don't they?

If anyone who is willing to work, works 40 hours a week, they should be able to afford the bare essentials to be able to sustain themselves and put a roof over their heads.

Today's current minimum wage will not do that anywhere.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

TTQ64 (01-23-2019)

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here you go with your lack of respect for others, judging others from your lofty little perch, making racist generalizations about low wage earners.
    There you go fabricating, lying and deflecting again.

Let me tell you, that people have to be able to afford a roof over their head, transportation back and forth from work, food, utilities, health insurance, automobile insurance, and be able to feed themselves. And anyone looking for a job will also need the internet and a cell phone. Regardless whether they are looking for a place to start- or get a better paying job.
    Who is stopping people from being able to afford a roof over their head, transportation, food, utilities, insurance and cars?

Once again you engage in strawman claims and demand we deconstruct them. I don't play that morons game. Answer the fucking questions. What is the value of someone who has no education, and perhaps, does not speak the countries language? You seem to believe that washing dishes is a highly sought after skill that few have; why?

You tell me how anyone making the minimum wage (40 hours @ $7.50 = $300) would ever be able to support oneself in any town in America?
    Who has made that moronic argument? There you go again with the moronic strawmen. Tell me who can live in New York City making $40 an hour?

I thought you held people to providing for themselves- providing for their own healthcare- and not having to rely upon government assistance?
    How am I not for those things snowflake? You haven't answered one question you dishonest dumbass. You continue to emotionally blather lies and strawmen without any facts.

And you think $1200 a month- before taxes- is enough for people to accomplish that?
    Who has made that claim? Do you think someone can live in New York City on $40 an hour?

That's the point. Everybody starts somewhere. And if you want to improve your lot in life, you will need a skill and perhaps an education. Otherwise, you will continue earning a low wage.

If anyone who is willing to work, works 40 hours a week, they should be able to afford the bare essentials to be able to sustain themselves and put a roof over their heads.
    Who is stopping them?

The minimum wage laws will NEVER do that. Pretending that they will is dishonest, stupid and lunatic. They were never intended to.

I will ask again, do you think someone can live in New York City on $40 an hour?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    There is a way to not be low income!
    Twat boy can't get there. But anyone with a brain knows that it involves learning a skill or a higher education.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

There you go fabricating, lying and deflecting again.

Who is stopping people from being able to afford a roof over their head, transportation, food, utilities, insurance and cars?

Once again you engage in strawman claims and demand we deconstruct them. I don't play that morons game. Answer the fucking questions. What is the value of someone who has no education, and perhaps, does not speak the countries language? You seem to believe that washing dishes is a highly sought after skill that few have; why?

Who has made that moronic argument? There you go again with the moronic strawmen. Tell me who can live in New York City making $40 an hour?

How am I not for those things snowflake? You haven't answered one question you dishonest dumbass. You continue to emotionally blather lies and strawmen without any facts.

Who has made that claim? Do you think someone can live in New York City on $40 an hour?

That's the point. Everybody starts somewhere. And if you want to improve your lot in life, you will need a skill and perhaps an education. Otherwise, you will continue earning a low wage.

Who is stopping them?

The minimum wage laws will NEVER do that. Pretending that they will is dishonest, stupid and lunatic. They were never intended to.

I will ask again, do you think someone can live in New York City on $40 an hour?
    I could live in NYC for 40 bucks an hour.

I would not try it without making, at least, that though!

I know some fairly nice hotels that offer Dorms for about $125 a day! One just right across the street from Madison Square Gardens.

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's mandated because OTHERWISE, RACIST OWNERS WOULD PAY SLAVE WAGES

IDIOTS!

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You win the internet today.

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Systematic racism is why wages are low.

Lots of Americans believe in the false premise of "entry level" jobs...…

It's all a sham, wake up.

10. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Again; without consumerism, there is no economy.
    Not every transaction is "consumerism" by default.

11. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    It's always been one of the riskiest businesses. Regardless of labor cost the majority of restaurants go out of business within five years of opening. That often has to do with things other than the business fixed cost.
    It is a risky business but a lot of it goes back to undercapitalization from the launch. It can take years to build a good return customer base, so you really have to be able to cover it all out of pocket for a significant period of time to make it work. I used to work somewhere that had a mom and pop at each end of the street. Each one lasted about 3 months. I couldn't tell you how many people thought they could make it and failed over and over and over again. We stopped learning the new names of the places. We just called them Top of The Hill and Bottom of the Hill. "Oh, Top of the Hill is open again" "They sell hotdog?" "Nope" "Well maybe in 3 months the new tenants will."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-23-2019)

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

You're full of shit Cawacko. Absolutely they do. They pay millions upon millions to lobby government to repress increases in polices like minimum wages. Your arguments don't jive with the facts. Government policies in a Republic are not created in a vacuum. To say that the market doesn't have influence in these public policies decision is simply being blind to the facts. They have a huge influence over such public policies. If they do, why shouldn't workers?
    Mutt... do you understand that the minimum wage in AL should not be the same as it is in NYC?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-23-2019)

15. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Mutt... do you understand that the minimum wage in AL should not be the same as it is in NYC?
    Based on his responses I don’t think he’s getting it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

17. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Won't the market ultimately determine that though? If such minimum wage mandates don't work economically, won't the market ultimately determine that? In the meantime don't both parties (business and labor) have the right to negotiate, lobby and influence public policy to their advantage?
    Mutt... the workers individually or collectively negotiate with the employers. The Federal minimum wage should be set to the lowest cost of living area to ensure that companies have a minimum standard. The cities/states in higher cost of living areas can adjust their minimums above the Federal level accordingly, again to protect the MINIMUM.

The negotiations between employer and employee doesn't change. The markets in each area will dictate what the employees make. They still have the right to organize if they choose, they still have the right to negotiate individually.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

19. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,185 Times in 13,935 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

It is not an ASSUMPTION; when you arbitrarily raise the cost of doing business, that increase is passed onto the consumers. The result, inflation.

Arbitrary increases in the cost of doing business does not create more money. Anyone with a high school economics education knows this.
    Says who? That is one of those supposed theorems people apply to every situation regardless of applicability. As I noted above, cost competition in fast food restaurants has always produced a cheaper product. If one raises the price of his product it doesn't meant the whole industry is going to do the same, someone will keep their prices the same to corner the market. You are assuming that these industries are currently operating at a low profit percentages

I recall the owner of Papa John's saying minimum wage increases would drive him out of the business, but last I recall the chain still existed

20. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's funny to me that the best solution is to subsidize low income people through the government instead of trying to drive the prices up, yet the liberals will criticize the companies when that happens.