Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and artichoke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow. Was That Ever Some Amazing Football From The NFL Championships Last Night!

1. #16 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,599 Times in 17,043 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Then go back and actually read the fucking article.
    I read the damn article, and a number of others. What started out as a summer alternative to the fall winter NFL league, it quickly turned into a league that some teams had trouble (from pressure from the NFL) securing leases from stadiums the NFL played in. Trying to be competitive with the NFL, some USFL teams started bidding wars recruiting NFL players, which put them in financial troubles. Trying to force a merger, Trump (along with a handful of other owners) wanted to start a fall schedule to directly compete with the NFL. As part of this attempt, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3. This court decision effectively ended the USFL's existence, so there was never a merger.
    Yes, some USFL players and coaches (a few now in the NFL's HOF) were associated with the NFL, but the two leagues themselves were NEVER associated with each other.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I read the damn article, and a number of others. What started out as a summer alternative to the fall winter NFL league, it quickly turned into a league that some teams had trouble (from pressure from the NFL) securing leases from stadiums the NFL played in. Trying to be competitive with the NFL, some USFL teams started bidding wars recruiting NFL players, which put them in financial troubles. Trying to force a merger, Trump (along with a handful of other owners) wanted to start a fall schedule to directly compete with the NFL. As part of this attempt, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3. This court decision effectively ended the USFL's existence, so there was never a merger.
    Yes, some USFL players and coaches (a few now in the NFL's HOF) were associated with the NFL, but the two leagues themselves were NEVER associated with each other.
    I don't know why you are caught-up on the term "association with the NFL," as though anyone on this thread, other than yourself, is claiming anything sinister about having an "association with the NFL." Someone took a jab at Trump's participation in the USFL, which resulted in him losing a team to the eventual bankruptcy.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

As a relatively new NFL fan, I have been intrigued seeing how the game works. Particularly interesting is the effect a stadium full of fans has on the game. The visiting team has to put up with a lot of noise while they are trying to work the ball down the field, but the crowd quiets down for the home team snap. The players on the field pick up on this energy. It's very interesting.

Of course, that has the maximum effect when the stadium is full.

If Trump was trying to drive people away from the game?

He failed.

These stadiums have been filled to capacity.

Oh, I know there have been a few former fans who left the game over what they thought of as 'disrespect for the anthem.' And I don't agree with that form of protest myself. I don't like to see the flag disrespected. But the flag is nothing but a symbol. It's a bold move to take a knee during the anthem. It is very attention getting. There has to be a very strong reason for somebody to take that very bold action.

Racism.

We have a problem with racism in the USA.

We are trying to move past it, put it in our past, but we still have some racism that won't go away. We can't pretend it is gone. I thought surely by now everybody would understand it's wrong. It's a troubling problem that is still with us. Our prisons are full of black people. Blacks are arrested more than whites for the same situations. And when they are arrested, they are more likely to be charged in similar circumstances. And when they are charged with a crime, they are more likely to be charged with more crimes that carry longer sentences. And when convicted, they usually draw longer sentencing. It's wrong. We have to work to fix that miscarriage of justice.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    I was never much of an NFL fan until President Trump said we should boycott the NFL.

That was the moment I became an NFL fan.

And I gotta say wow.

Those two games yesterday. What great games! Both of them went into overtime, first the Rams/Saints, and then the Chiefs/Patriots.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

And then there were two.

Doesn't look like too many people are boycotting the NFL.

The stands were filled for both games.

I have to agree ...

I hope this doesn't mean the next game is boring ...
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    I have to agree ...

I hope this doesn't mean the next game is boring ...
    The Pro Bowl usually is.

The Super Bowl should prove very interesting. The Pats have reliable ability to methodically score, but the Rams explosive potential for big plays could easily surpass NE.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 34 Posts

What the fuck does that have to do with anything now. Oh 30 years ago Trump owned a football team. So what.

Trump never said to boycott the NFL. He simply had an opinion (like everyone else) with the players kneeling during the anthem.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Tkaffen,

Quote Originally Posted by Tkaffen View Post
    What the fuck does that have to do with anything now. Oh 30 years ago Trump owned a football team. So what.

Trump never said to boycott the NFL. He simply had an opinion (like everyone else) with the players kneeling during the anthem.
    If you talk to me with such disdain again your name will be placed on my permanent Ignore List.

"Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well."

“If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our country, you will see change take place fast,” Mr. Trump wrote, on the second weekend morning in a row in which he vented over the issue on social media."

link at post 14.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don’t care.
    Just like a fuckin liberal. If you don’t agree they turn off the microphone.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Goodbye Tkaffen,

Quote Originally Posted by Tkaffen View Post
    I don’t care.
    Just like a fuckin liberal. If you don’t agree they turn off the microphone.
    This has nothing to do with being liberal or being in disagreement. It is about being a civil person. My Ignore list includes liberals. My friends list includes conservatives. And you are fooling yourself.

I had hoped we could be able to discuss politics with at least a modicum of mutual respect; but you don't seem to be able to do that. I hope some day you are able to see beyond your self-limiting hatred and try to work together with other Americans of differing views to do what's best for our nation, but even if that happens, I will not talk to you. My PIP works quite well, and the permanence of it is part of that, so no exceptions are ever made. I'm sure if some day you miraculously turn into someone who can appreciate others for their own individuality (which might be different from your own,) that you will understand. But that won't matter to me. I intend to pretty much forget that you even exist on this planet.

There is a peaceful and enjoyable life beyond anger. I hope you find it, but I will not be a part of it if you do. Good luck to you. Have a nice life; (if that is even possible.)

-poof-

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Do you see what your liberal friends write. Will you give them a pass or place them on your ignore list.

His remarks aren’t calling for a boycott.
    “If’s” are not a demand or request. “If” fans go, “if” fans don’t go.

Too many liberals make decisions in their lives based on what politicians or celebrities think or do. They need to start thinking for themselves. I wonder what Oprah is wearing today. I wonder what Oprah thinks about this issue. I’m going to vote democrat simply because I’m a registered Democrat.
    They need to do away with the party system so people can make a decision based on the person and not the party.

If people made a decision not to watch football because Trump said “If fans refuse to go” then they are idiots.
    I continue to watch football but as far as the kneeling issue I’m not in agreement with the multimillionaire assholes.
    Police have a tough job. Regardless of any occupation you will have evil people and people who make mistakes.
    These players should look at the league. Look how many players have been convicted of serious crimes. To name a few Plaxico Burriss for weapon possession, OJ for assault with a weapon, Aaron Hernandez for murder, Michael Vick, and the ones who beat up girlfriends and their own kids like Ray Rice, Hunt and Peterson.
    It’s okay to bash the police but we won’t say anything about the evil players in the league. Hopefully when they are on their kneels they are saying a prayer for the victims of their asshole buddies and for the families of cops that have been killed.
    I wonder how many police who have been ambushed were killed by nut jobs who believe in these players cause.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Don’t be a fool.
    You only hear about the white hate groups. You are clueless about the 233 black hate groups.
    Racism is an equal problem with all races.
    Media is afraid to report it because they don’t want to be calls racist. The New York Post is the only media outlet I’m aware of that did a story on the Black Hebrews.

You need to get out of your lily white neighborhood and join me in Detroit.
    The majority of the crime is black on black crime which is why the majority of criminals in prison are black. Media silence.

Sometime liberals like to create an issue that doesn’t exist. A disagreement with a black person and you are classified as racist. Democrat Jim Clyburn who wanted to be speaker called his fellow democrats racist for not considering him for the post. These are the ones that fuel racism.

So based on black congressman Clyburn, he confirmed what is true about lily white privilege Pelosi. She is in fact a racist.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Goodbye my love.
    I will miss your warped reasoning on the issues.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This year we have the Super Bowl and the Soaker Bowl.

The Pro Bowl was played in constant rain. It was good to see some of the greats strutting their stuff.

Of course the Pro Bowl is barely more than touch football. I think there was one injury. A twisted ankle.

The super bowl will be Sunday night, 6:30PM ET.

Should be a good game.

The Patriots are favored but the Rams are explosive and unpredictable.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Great game last night.

I was rooting for the Rams, but the Patriots played a good game and Brady is a great winner. His daughter looked pretty proud of her daddy.

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Bump
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!