Members banned from this thread: Blackwater Lunchbreak, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and artichoke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Reverend Martin Luther King Jr Day! Not a peep from President Trump about it.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Happy Reverend Martin Luther King Jr Day! Not a peep from President Trump about it.

Happy MLK Day, everyone.

He really gave his all to our country.

A President should participate in the celebration of King's life.

Not Trump.

And not even a peep out of him about it.

Instead, a tweet storm about his own accomplishments after two years in office.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (01-21-2019), evince (01-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Happy MLK Day, everyone.

He really gave his all to our country.

A President should participate in the celebration of King's life.

Not Trump.

And not even a peep out of him about it.

Instead, a tweet storm about his own accomplishments after two years in office.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

How did Pence piss off so many people using the MLK dream speech? I don't know the specifics?
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm sure someone will prod his pork to make some sort of token statement at some point today.

Did you see the video of the smirking MAGA hat kid getting in the native elder's face from the other day? Somehow you could almost sense Dr. King's spirit standing next to the elder, urging him to stay strong.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (01-21-2019), PoliTalker (01-21-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good morning kudzu,

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    How did Pence piss off so many people using the MLK dream speech? I don't know the specifics?
    Oh yeah. What a piece of work VP Pence is.

Tried to tie the celebration of MLK's life to the 'need' for a border wall.

It didn't go over well.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

kudzu (01-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good morning kudzu,

Oh yeah. What a piece of work VP Pence is.

Tried to tie the celebration of MLK's life to the 'need' for a border wall.

It didn't go over well.

Oh God.. He truly is a dim bulb.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-21-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Here it is:

MIKE PENCE COMPARES TRUMP TO MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. ON EVE OF MLK DAY: BOTH ‘INSPIRED US

Vice President Mike Pence compared Donald Trump to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during a CBS News interview over the weekend, claiming both leaders have inspired Americans to change through the legislative process.

During a segment on Sunday’s Face The Nation, host Margaret Brennan pressed Pence on the president’s latest offer to end the partial government shutdown, which involves trading extended protections for DACA recipients for a wall on the southern U.S.-Mexico border. Before Trump officially made the proposal on Saturday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) rejected it in a statement where she called the deal “unacceptable,” a “non-starter” and stated that it did not “represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people’s lives”.

“If this is a genuine attempt [at ending the shutdown], why weren’t any Democrats included in the consultations?” Brennan asked Pence on Sunday.

Pence responded by reciting Trump administration talking points before adding a surprise comparison of the president to Martin Luther King Jr. to sell the proposed border wall.

“Honestly, you know, the hearts and minds of the American people today are thinking a lot about it being the weekend we are remembering the life and the work of Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. One of my favorite quotes from Dr. King was, ‘Now is the time to make real the the promises of democracy,’” he said, quoting a passage from Dr. King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

Pence continued on to argue that like MLK, Trump has also “inspired us to change.” “You think of how he changed America, he inspired us to change through the legislative process, to become a more perfect union,” he said. “That’s exactly what President Trump is calling on the Congress to do, come to the table in a spirit of good faith.”

continued

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-...red-us-1298644

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-21-2019)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I think MLK's statement about Barry Goldwater was as prescient in 1964 as it is today.

Martin Luther King's statement on the GOP nomination of Barry Goldwater, 1964

“The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism...On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represents a philosophy that is morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I have no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that does not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b099cdb1000431

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

kudzu (01-21-2019), PoliTalker (01-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2019)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I think MLK's statement about Barry Goldwater was as prescient in 1964 as it is today.
    I had no idea............

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello kudzu,

Here it is:

MIKE PENCE COMPARES TRUMP TO MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. ON EVE OF MLK DAY: BOTH ‘INSPIRED US

Vice President Mike Pence compared Donald Trump to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during a CBS News interview over the weekend, claiming both leaders have inspired Americans to change through the legislative process.

During a segment on Sunday’s Face The Nation, host Margaret Brennan pressed Pence on the president’s latest offer to end the partial government shutdown, which involves trading extended protections for DACA recipients for a wall on the southern U.S.-Mexico border. Before Trump officially made the proposal on Saturday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) rejected it in a statement where she called the deal “unacceptable,” a “non-starter” and stated that it did not “represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people’s lives”.

“If this is a genuine attempt [at ending the shutdown], why weren’t any Democrats included in the consultations?” Brennan asked Pence on Sunday.

Pence responded by reciting Trump administration talking points before adding a surprise comparison of the president to Martin Luther King Jr. to sell the proposed border wall.

“Honestly, you know, the hearts and minds of the American people today are thinking a lot about it being the weekend we are remembering the life and the work of Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. One of my favorite quotes from Dr. King was, ‘Now is the time to make real the the promises of democracy,’” he said, quoting a passage from Dr. King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

Pence continued on to argue that like MLK, Trump has also “inspired us to change.” “You think of how he changed America, he inspired us to change through the legislative process, to become a more perfect union,” he said. “That’s exactly what President Trump is calling on the Congress to do, come to the table in a spirit of good faith.”

continued

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-...red-us-1298644
    THAT is all we get out of the White House for MLK Day?

That's worse than saying nothing.

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello kudzu,

THAT is all we get out of the White House for MLK Day?

That's worse than saying nothing.
    Well, Pence is so obviously a cloying opportunist to think he could get away with that... and REALLY dumb.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-21-2019)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I had no idea............
    There is a cottage industry dedicated to softening the image of Barry Goldwater.

But he was an extremist who stood against the Civil Rights Act, the civil rights movement, and represented a sort of reactionary paleo-conservatism that MLK rightly viewed as an existential threat to the country.

I maintain that Barry Goldwater paved the way for Donald Trump, because Goldwater was the moment in time that racists, reactionaries, Dixiecrats, and neo-confederates became aligned with movement conservatism and the rightwing of the Republican Party.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

kudzu (01-21-2019), PoliTalker (01-21-2019)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Won't matter if Trump says anything today or not. The left will still be miserable. So what. It's only 9:17a.m. The left still has roughly another 15 hours to be hypocritical and damn him if he does say something. Same complaint...different year.

Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

dukkha (01-21-2019)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Yawn. This is day 4 off for me. We Virginians get an early start on our 4-day weekend with Lee-Jackson Day on Friday

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If America had a leader who was truly the leader of ALL Americans, that leader would today be leading a celebration of MLK's life and contributions to making America great.

But if that leader is appealing to racists, he would do nothing of the sort.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (01-21-2019), kudzu (01-21-2019)

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Won't matter if Trump says anything today or not. The left will still be miserable. So what. It's only 9:17a.m. The left still has roughly another 15 hours to be hypocritical and damn him if he does say something. Same complaint...different year.

Most US presidents build us up.. They send positive messages about unity and patriotism.. They inspire us to be BETTER.

Trump is very negative and always lashing out at someone... and he's just so vulgar and dishonest.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Bill (01-21-2019), Cypress (01-21-2019), PoliTalker (01-21-2019)