Members banned from this thread: evince, CFM and reagansghost

Thread: Marshawn Lynch on Bill Maher - Whites Gentrifying Oakland

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Marshawn Lynch on Bill Maher - Whites Gentrifying Oakland

Most are familiar with the history of redlining in this country which was used to keep blacks from moving into white neighborhoods. The "battle" over gentrification is an interesting one though. For starters it tends to integrate and improve neighborhoods. While Oakland was 50% black when my family moved there in 1981 today it is the most diverse City in the country, basically 25% Asian, 25% Hispanic, 25% black and 25% white. So while gentrification has occurred (people with money moving in, people without having to move out) the diversity is still there. Yet it is to be blasted?

How can neighborhoods improve, have newer and nicer things, without surrounding property values going up?

Marshawn Lynch calls Trump a 'motherf—er,' blasts Oakland gentrification

During an appearance on HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher," Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch discussed President Trump, gentrification in Oakland, Colin Kaepernick and more.

Lynch, who was one of many NFL players that did not stand for the national anthem at various points of the 2017 NFL season, was asked by Bill Maher if he had a response to President Trump, who once called Lynch "disrespectful" in a tweet.

"That motherf—er say a lot of s—," Lynch said to raucous applause from Maher's studio audience. "You call me unpatriotic but you come to the neighborhood where I'm from and you'll see me take the shirt of my back and give it to someone in less need, what would you call that?

Maher then asked Lynch about his efforts to combat gentrification in Oakland, and asked the running back to define what gentrification means to him.

"It's basically when a lot of white people move into the hood and kick everybody out that's there," Lynch said. "I've been a witness of this since I was a small jitterbug, so now I'm that I'm growing up and I'm seeing it and I understand it a bit more."

In order to fight gentrification, Lynch said he has been buying real estate in Oakland.

"I started to buy up some real estate in the area where I grew up at in order to give people an opportunity for housing," he said.

When asked about potentially returning to the NFL for another season, the 32-year-old simply said, "if it works out that way, then I will."

https://www.sfgate.com/raiders/artic...O-13546625.php

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Maybe one day Maxine Waters will be able to take the bars off her mansion.