Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, Life is Golden, chink, Irish Exit, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Proud Boy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Conservative Tradition

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 51 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have a this video class on my watch list, partly because I decided I need to learn how it is possible that conservatives could have turned into fan boys of a shockingly dim witted and incompetent Reality TV host. What is it about Trumpf that inspires them to spend countless hours of their lived defending him, and providing cover for him?
    The conservative tradition isn't about preserving old morals, it's about preserving the playing field, and power structure of the past. Trump essentially gives the idea you can be on top, and still have the etiquette, and tact of an adolescent. They sure aren't, if actual children seem more reasonable then they do.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Lung-Li-Chiao View Post
    The conservative tradition isn't about preserving old morals, it's about preserving the playing field, and power structure of the past. Trump essentially gives the idea you can be on top, and still have the etiquette, and tact of an adolescent. They sure aren't, if actual children seem more reasonable then they do.
    I think it's about preserving both the morals and the power structure. Anything new is seen as a path to degeneracy, especially to people in small religious towns.
    As for Trump's behavior, I think it's more about the way he pisses off everyone Conservatives hate. SJW cucks and the establishment that supposedly gives in to them.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

That's a good insight.

I have had a similar discussion with teabaggers before. The teabagger premise was that things like support for NAFTA, support for trickledown tax cuts, support for privatization of education and highways is what makes one conservative.

I have always maintained those are mere policy preferences held by limited numbers of people.

What really defines conservatism, ideologically- and this is alluded to by the professor who teaches this class - is an affinity for tradition, hierarchy, presumptive authority, and an aversion to reform, radical change, and an aversion to the enfranchisement of all citizens and stakeholders.

And with hierarchy, orthodoxy, and tradition, naturally comes a preference for the hegemony of traditional institutions, traditional power-relationships, and the preservation of customary monied interests.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 51 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    I think it's about preserving both the morals and the power structure. Anything new is seen as a path to degeneracy, especially to people in small religious towns.
    As for Trump's behavior, I think it's more about the way he pisses off everyone Conservatives hate. SJW cucks and the establishment that supposedly gives in to them.
    Many of the old time Conservatives, see the old times as, a kind of Leave It To Beaver dreamscape. They are delusional, as to what that means, for women, and minorities. They also don't realize that America isn't that country anymore. We don't make all this stuff, and have jobs everywhere. They have to compete with everyone in the job market now, and when their skills lack, they think they are victimized. Unfortunately, the grunt work where they shined, doesn't need them anymore, more often then not. They need someone to program, and fix operating, and computer systems.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Burke, Tradition, and the French Revolution: Learn about the ideas of Edmund Burke, the Whig politician whose Reflections on the Revolution in France is regarded by many Conservatives as the founding text of their political creed. His book, written after the conflict's early stages, counseled respect for tradition and avoidance of radical change.
    My investigations into this line of knowledge seem to confirm what I know about the conservative tradition through both intuition and experience.

Conservatism is a profoundly skeptical, cynical, negative, anti-utopian and pessimistic tradition.

Edmund Burke was apparently heavily influenced by Scottish philosopher David Hume. Hume was a noted skeptic, an anti-reformist, a person who stood against the grain of utopian optimism that dominated the intellectual traditions of the early modern era of the 17th and early 18th centuries.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    On the other hand how can liberals turn blind eyes when faced with the truth that Hillary broke the law several times ( not my statement but the FBI's) endangered national security ( again the FBI says it's true) lied to investigators (matter of record) and say well she was never charged or convicted but you ignore the same thing about Trump? Trump is no prize but neither is Hillary.
    Big difference,Hillary is a private citizen off topic to this thread.
    Trump is President.
    Playing the Hillary card is two years,played out!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hillary Clinton has been relentlessly investigated, on and off, since 1994 by partisan Republican committees.

No proof of criminality has ever been found and she had never been indicted for a crime.

That means either Hillary Clinton is the criminal mastermind of the century, somehow able to avoid detection during three decades of investigations.

Or, you are an utter fool who willfully engages in abject dishonesty.
    Utter fool!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Many of the old time Conservatives, see the old times as, a kind of Leave It To Beaver dreamscape. They are delusional, as to what that means, for women, and minorities. They also don't realize that America isn't that country anymore. We don't make all this stuff, and have jobs everywhere. They have to compete with everyone in the job market now, and when their skills lack, they think they are victimized. Unfortunately, the grunt work where they shined, doesn't need them anymore, more often then not. They need someone to program, and fix operating, and computer systems.
    Beaver wouldn't eat black pussy!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Again, I would point out that there is not nor really ever has been a true conservative political tradition in the United States.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margot Frank View Post
    Big difference,Hillary is a private citizen off topic to this thread.
    Trump is President.
    Playing the Hillary card is two years,played out!
    No Hillary is and will be fair game simply because she is a politician who ran for president twice not to mention a former first lady. Keep whining it's comical.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

its just because he's not a globalist humanity hater. it's just that simple.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    No Hillary is and will be fair game simply because she is a politician who ran for president twice not to mention a former first lady. Keep whining it's comical.
    Like the man said,you're a "utter fool".
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Again, I would point out that there is not nor really ever has been a true conservative political tradition in the United States.
    I think you are right, in the sense that in recent history, what passes for "conservative" today are basically poorly educated dim wits filled with racial resentment and petty grievance against liberals. Its not a political philosophy - it is a state of perpetual grievance.

If you go back to Hamilton, the Federalists, et al. there is a vestige of traditional Anglo-Saxon conservatism in the American experience , which traces its roots back to the UK.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I think you are right, in the sense that in recent history, what passes for "conservative" today are basically poorly educated dim wits filled with racial resentment and petty grievance against liberals. Its not a political philosophy - it is a state of perpetual grievance.

If you go back to Hamilton, the Federalists, et al. there is a vestige of traditional Anglo-Saxon conservatism in the American experience , which traces its roots back to the UK.
    And that was found predominantly in the antebellum South. As you pointed out what passes for political conservativism now is mostly either populism geared towards manipulating the social and racial resentments of the lower classes or a conflict
    Between classical liberalism and neoliberalism.

These two type are what I call conservativism with a small c (the populist based conservativism) and conservativism with a Capital C (classical liberalism).

Though there are true conservatives in our nation who seem hell bent in turning our current oligarchy into a true aristocracy and their witless psychophants, the don’t have a central organized political philosophy.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (01-23-2019)

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    And that was found predominantly in the antebellum South. As you pointed out what passes for political conservativism now is mostly either populism geared towards manipulating the social and racial resentments of the lower classes or a conflict
    Between classical liberalism and neoliberalism.

These two type are what I call conservativism with a small c (the populist based conservativism) and conservativism with a Capital C (classical liberalism).

Though there are true conservatives in our nation who seem hell bent in turning our current oligarchy into a true aristocracy and their witless psychophants, the don’t have a central organized political philosophy.
    Nice work.

You would be surprised at how many rightwingers on this forum say they are voting for Trump just to make liberals sad.

That is a clear and concise demonstration that "conservatism" is really just a flaccid manifestation of petty grievances, and it is not a coherent and principled political philosophy.

You know the last time I actually heard message board wingnuts actually advocating for a policy in a passionate and genuine way? It was when they were hollering at me that invading Iraq was a great idea and was going to be an excellent adventure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-23-2019)