Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fact Checking Whether ISIS Is 'Defeated'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default Fact Checking Whether ISIS Is 'Defeated'

The controversy over Pence’s remarks stems from a speech he gave earlier this week in which he said, “The caliphate has crumbled, and ISIS has been defeated” and that the U.S. would now “hand off the fight against ISIS in Syria to our coalition partners.”

Pence’s speech explicitly noted that “defeat” of ISIS would still entail a continued war against the insurgency.

Two years ago, CNN touted, “ISIS defeated in Raqqa” as “major military operations” came to an end, despite “pockets of resistance” remaining. Iraq was declared “fully liberated” from ISIS, with the organization “defeated” in the country. ISIS was “in retreat” and “on the run” and U.S. efforts to “defeat the terror group on the battlefield” were seeing “significant … victories.”

At the same time, CNN took pains to argue that the credit was former President Obama’s, not President Trump’s. As the Syrian conflict has increasingly become Trump’s war, the outlet’s stance seems to have changed, running the headline this week “Fact Check: Has ISIS been defeated?”

Just what does it mean to “defeat” a terror organization?

The term “defeat” has specific military meaning. The U.S. Army’s Field Manual 3-09 defines “defeat” as when “an enemy force has temporarily or permanently lost the physical means or the will to fight” and is embodied by “mass surrenders, abandonment of positions, equipment and supplies, or retrograde operations.”

Such a definition would certainly fit ISIS’s loss of its caliphate and its degradation from a quasi-nation-state back into a traditional federated terror organization. Indeed, the Atlantic Council has previously used the term “territorial defeat” to describe the U.S. focus in Syria and said that such “defeat” would still leave an “insurgency” on the ground.

The Council on Foreign Relations similarly clarified the “military defeat” of ISIS would still leave an insurgency that could effect and inspire attacks. The Center for Strategic and International Studies offered that “defeating’ ISIL in [Iraq and Syria] is at best likely to defeat its ability to hold any territory” and that “new forms of terrorism will emerge even if ISIL is formally disbanded.” Even the 2003 United States National Strategy for Combating Terrorism clarifies that “victory against terrorism will not occur as a single, defining moment,” but rather a point “where the threat of terrorist attacks does not define our daily lives.”

Each of these definitions of “defeat” would appear to support Pence’s claim that ISIS had been “defeated” and that post-defeat there would still be a powerful insurgency left to fight.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ed_139222.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-18-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

for the dumb stick brains who don't understand ISIS as a state is now an insurgency and defeated as ISIS

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-19-2019), Darth Omar (01-18-2019), Truth Detector (01-18-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,401 Times in 10,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    for the dumb stick brains who don't understand ISIS as a state is now an insurgency and defeated as ISIS
    MOVE!

THOSE!!

GOALPOSTS!!!

I don't know what's more pathetic; the fact that you were wrong about ISIS, or the fact that you feel you have to shift goalposts on an anonymous message board just to save face.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

6. The Following User Groans At LV426 For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-19-2019)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Bill (01-21-2019), CharacterAssassin (01-18-2019), Jade Dragon (01-18-2019), kudzu (01-18-2019)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Rather than adhering to Pence’s literal statement that “defeat” of ISIS will still leave a vibrant and militant insurgency behind, the seven individuals redefined his use of the word “defeat” to mean the absolute elimination of all traces of ISIS.

This redefinition of the vice president’s words from their literal form into a straw-man argument is a common, but unfortunate, tactic adopted by fact checkers, which undermines their credibility.

Putting this all together, few would argue that ISIS no longer poses any threat. The vice president did not actually claim this and was quite explicit that there is still a vibrant insurgency remaining. Fact checkers including PolitiFact and FactCheck.org reached their verdicts by redefining Pence’s words into an argument he did not actually make.

PolitiFact notes that “in the world of speechmaking and political rhetoric, there is license for hyperbole” and that it does not review statements that are not “rooted in a fact that is verifiable.”
    One could easily argue Pence’s use of the word “defeat” strongly comports with the Army’s military definition and thus was a “True” statement. There is also considerable room to view it as a succinct political sound bite for a complicated story and thus not eligible for fact checking under PoltiFact’s standards.

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    MOVE!

THOSE!!

GOALPOSTS!!!

I don't know what's more pathetic; the fact that you were wrong about ISIS, or the fact that you feel you have to shift goalposts on an anonymous message board just to save face.
    HAHA here comes the stick brain himself!

you want to address the military definition of defeat? the fact an insurgency can be lethal but it's entity defeated?

Of course not..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-19-2019)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Rather than adhering to Pence’s literal statement that “defeat” of ISIS will still leave a vibrant and militant insurgency behind, the seven individuals redefined his use of the word “defeat” to mean the absolute elimination of all traces of ISIS.

This redefinition of the vice president’s words from their literal form into a straw-man argument is a common, but unfortunate, tactic adopted by fact checkers, which undermines their credibility.

Putting this all together, few would argue that ISIS no longer poses any threat. The vice president did not actually claim this and was quite explicit that there is still a vibrant insurgency remaining. Fact checkers including PolitiFact and FactCheck.org reached their verdicts by redefining Pence’s words into an argument he did not actually make.

PolitiFact notes that “in the world of speechmaking and political rhetoric, there is license for hyperbole” and that it does not review statements that are not “rooted in a fact that is verifiable.”
    One could easily argue Pence’s use of the word “defeat” strongly comports with the Army’s military definition and thus was a “True” statement. There is also considerable room to view it as a succinct political sound bite for a complicated story and thus not eligible for fact checking under PoltiFact’s standards.
    "So, you remember when we said ISIS was defeated, well they are defeated if you accept our alternate definitions of 'ISIS' and 'defeated'."

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

you want to address the military definition of defeat? the fact an insurgency can be lethal but it's entity defeated?

Of course not..
    What I want to address is why you feel compelled to move goalposts to provide cover for Donald Trump.

It takes a real fucking moron to do that...someone so stupid, they would be conned by a fat orange reality TV show host.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"So, you remember when we said ISIS was defeated, well they are defeated if you accept our alternate definitions of 'ISIS' and 'defeated'."
    alternate version??
    Like what WHAT THE US MILITARY CALLS A DEFEAT??

fucking stick brain

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course not..
    I'm sure the families of the four dead Americans from Tuesday are glad to hear ISIS has been defeated*.

(*defeated doesn't mean defeated, in this sense)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

kudzu (01-18-2019)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

alternate version??
    Like what WHAT THE US MILITARY CALLS A DEFEAT??
    fucking stick brain
    I'm sure the families of the two soldiers killed in an ISIS attack this past Tuesday are happy to know ISIS has been defeated*.

(*Defeated doesn't mean defeated in this sense, or any other sense)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What I want to address is why you feel compelled to move goalposts to provide cover for Donald Trump.

It takes a real fucking moron to do that...someone so stupid, they would be conned by a fat orange reality TV show host.
    bla h blah blah yada yaa yada.spin spin spin. your dumb azz stick brain STILL won't address the terms as
    USED BY THE MILITARY.

I give you credit for being tenaciously dumb however.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm sure the families of the two soldiers killed in an ISIS attack this past Tuesday are happy to know ISIS has been defeated*.

(*Defeated doesn't mean defeated in this sense, or any other sense)
    nope nope nope. that was a suicide bomber.. they are all over the place.

you wanna address the OP? the military definition? OH NO NOT THAT!!

you are squishy l but you can't get way from military definitions

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

HA HA HA HA HA.. where's your lifeboat??

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,281 Times in 22,620 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have to understand the mentally retarded state most liberals find themselves in. It has reduced them to pathological lying, delusional ranting and massive hypocrisy.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Council on Foreign Relations similarly clarified the “military defeat” of ISIS would still leave an insurgency that could effect and inspire attacks.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies offered that “defeating’ ISIL in [Iraq and Syria] is at best likely to defeat its ability to hold any territory” and that “new forms of terrorism will emerge even if ISIL is formally disbanded.”

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post: