Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, Life is Golden, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Proud Boy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This month in History...

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I have no fucking clue who you are talking about here. Would you care to use some real names? Thanks.
    I am talking about you. I assume you know your name.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,277 Times in 27,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Not as sad as thinking your Ivory Tower Princess and her Jester Chuck give a shit about the people being affected. They are pandering to the hispanic voters.

Let's see how their resolve holds up when those welfare checks don't go out.
    So, in your opinion Hispanic people are welfare mooches.

My thread ban list is specifically designed to exclude from civilized conversation those people who engage in racism, bigotry, libel, slander, and trolling.
    So you are getting added to my thread ban list.

My threads are only for those capable of reasonably civilized dialog. Feel free to indulge your racism on other threads, most of this board's Mods encourage and tolerate bigotry, racism, and xenophobia.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-18-2019)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I am talking about you. I assume you know your name.
    I do know my name, but don't know WhoTF are the Ivory Tower Princess and that jester thing you're raging over. I'm also not Hispanic nor have I ever received a welfare check.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    So, in your opinion Hispanic people are welfare mooches.

My thread ban list is specifically designed to exclude from civilized conversation those people who engage in racism, bigotry, libel, slander, and trolling.
    So you are getting added to my thread ban list.

My threads are only for those capable of reasonably civilized dialog. Feel free to indulge your racism on other threads, most of this board's Mods encourage and tolerate bigotry, racism, and xenophobia.
    highlight words in completely different sentences to form an idea never stated illustrates how mental you are. I could give a fuck about your "thread ban list".

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-19-2019)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Oh yeah, Goldwater. When he ran for president I was still a kid, yet aware of and interested in politics, filtered of course through a child's eye. I have a rather vivid memory of an anti-Goldwater TV commercial that had a video of an atomic bomb explosion and saying something about if he was elected that was our future. It wasn't until later -- much later -- that I realized that he actually was a man of great good sense even if I did not agree with his politics. This view is esp. poignant now, given the current state of the GOP and its leader.

Some selected Goldwater quotes:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them." (1994)

"Most Americans have no real understanding of the operations of the international moneylenders... the accounts of the Federal Reserve have never been audited. It operates outside the control of Congress and... manipulates the credit of the United States " (1979)

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed. " (1964)

"You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight." (1993)

"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass. " (1991)

Source: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater

Mr. Goldwater wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of being elected under the (R) umbrella today... that's how far they've moved to the fascist dark side.
    He didn’t stand a snowballs chance in 1964 either but he was a damned interesting man to listen too.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    He didn’t stand a snowballs chance in 1964 either but he was a damned interesting man to listen too.
    On the plus side, his opponent was such a disaster, it bad to promise not to seek re-election in 1968.

My dad could never stand Goldwater, though. He wanted to see Dirksen get the nomination.

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default This Day, January 22

This day in History - January 22

1973, Supreme Court legalizes abortion: In a historic decision, the U.S. Supreme Court rules in Roe v. Wade that women, as part of their constitutional right to privacy, can terminate a pregnancy during its first two trimesters.

1840, British colonists reach New Zealand: Under the leadership of British statesman Edward G. Wakefield, the first British colonists to New Zealand arrive at Port Nicholson on Auckland Island.

1980, Andrei Sakharov arrested in Moscow: In Moscow, Andrei Dmitriyevich Sakharov, the Soviet physicist who helped build the USSR’s first hydrogen bomb, is arrested after criticizing the Soviet military intervention in Afghanistan. He was subsequently stripped of his numerous scientific honors and banished to remote Gorky. Born in Moscow in 1921, Sakharov studied physics at Moscow University and in June 1948 was recruited into the Soviet nuclear weapons program. In 1948, after detonating their first atomic bomb, the Soviets joined the United States in the race to develop the hydrogen bomb, a weapon theorized to be dozens of times more powerful than the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. On November 22, 1955, the Soviet Union successfully detonated its first hydrogen bomb.

Although Sakharov was decorated with numerous Soviet scientific honors for his achievement, the scientist became increasingly concerned with the implications of the terrifying weapon, and he later regretted his responsibility in its creation. In 1957, his concern about the biological hazards of nuclear testing inspired him to write a damning article about the effects of low-level radiation, and he called for the cessation of nuclear tests. The Soviet government kept his criticism quiet until 1969, when an essay Sakharov wrote was smuggled out of the country and published in The New York Times. In the essay, he attacked the arms race and the Soviet political system and called for a “democratic, pluralistic society free of intolerance and dogmatism, a humanitarian society that would care for the Earth and its future.”

Following the publication of his essay, Sakharov was fired from the weapons program and became a vocal advocate of human rights. In 1975, he was the first Soviet to win the Nobel Peace Prize. After he denounced the 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Soviet authorities were quick to respond, exiling him to Gorky, where he lived in difficult conditions. In December 1986, Sakharov’s exile ended when Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev invited him to return to Moscow. He was subsequently elected to the Congress of People’s Deputies as a democratic reformer and appointed a member of the commission responsible for drafting a new Soviet constitution. Sakharov died of a heart attack in 1989 at the age of 68.

source credit: history.com

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

April 9, 1865: Southern Traitors Surrender to American Armed Forces

On April 9, 1865, the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia in the McLean House in the village of Appomattox Court House, Virginia signaled the end of the nation's largest war. Two important questions about its future were answered. Could the nation survive a civil war intact, and would that nation exist without slavery? The answer to both was yes and a new nation was born.

https://www.nps.gov/apco/index.htm

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

August 6, 1945: The United States Drops the First Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima

I leave it to scholars of history to sort out, but in my layperson opinion:

Japan was not on the verge of surrendering prior to August 6 - Soviet invasion of Manchuria notwithstanding.
    Japan fought to the death on Okinawa, the Japanese defenders of the Pacific Islands fought to the last man and never gave the slightest hint they were eager to throw in the towel.
    Claims that Japan was ready capitulate and throw up its hands in surrender and submission just prior to August 6 never passed the smell test with me.

A land invasion of Japan undoubtedly would have resulted in massive casualties both for the US military and for Japanese civilians.

On the other hand, bombing a civilian population with nuclear weapons without the slightest warning has to go down in history as an affront to the conduct of moral warfare and reasonable restraint.

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

August 6, 1945: The United States Drops the First Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima

I leave it to scholars of history to sort out, but in my layperson opinion:

Japan was not on the verge of surrendering prior to August 6 - Soviet invasion of Manchuria notwithstanding.
    Japan fought to the death on Okinawa, the Japanese defenders of the Pacific Islands fought to the last man and never gave the slightest hint they were eager to throw in the towel.
    Claims that Japan was ready capitulate and throw up its hands in surrender and submission just prior to August 6 never passed the smell test with me.

A land invasion of Japan undoubtedly would have resulted in massive casualties both for the US military and for Japanese civilians.

On the other hand, bombing a civilian population with nuclear weapons without the slightest warning has to go down in history as an affront to the conduct of moral warfare and reasonable restraint.
    "Moral warefare",is that even possible?

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sox Sanders View Post
    "Moral warefare",is that even possible?
    A poor choice of words, perhaps.

I was thinking of the concept of just war theory - the theories of military restraint and just conduct as articulated as far back as the philosophers of antiquity, straight through to religious theologians of the modern era.

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

A poor choice of words, perhaps.

I was thinking of the concept of just war theory - the theories of military restraint and just conduct as articulated as far back as the philosophers of antiquity, straight through to religious theologians of the modern era.
    "War is Hell"

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Athens Won the Battle of Marathon on This Day in History

Sparta totally wimped out and left the Athenians to face the Persian onslaught basically on their own.

This Day in History: September 12, 490 BC: Athens Wins the Battle of Marathon

September 12, 490 BC, Persian King Darius sent an invasion force to mainland Greece to punish the Athenians and the Eretrians. The Persian army was much larger than the Athenian army. Even so, the Athenian army won an astounding victory—192 Athenians fell, as compared with 6,400 Persians. The battle marked a turning point in the Greco-Persian Wars, and a watershed moment in the history of western civilization.