Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and artichoke

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reagan Made America Hate Government. And Thus, He Made Americans Hate Themselves.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Reagan Made America Hate Government. And Thus, He Made Americans Hate Themselves.

If you hate government, you are hating part of yourself.

Because government is us. We make our own government. The USA is a self-governed nation.

Government is not the enemy. We don't need to kill government or fight government.

If we don't like our government, we have the power to fix it.

So if our government is not working for us it is really our own fault.

Government hatred is self hatred. ... Just my opinion. (And of course we all know what that is worth.)

Reagan capitalized on hating government because he was the one to come right out and call government 'the problem.' Total spin, and totally incorrect. What a dangerous thing to say. Foolish. Loose lips like that sink ships like maybe this great ship of State, the USA. He fooled a lot of people with that one. He capitalized on emotions. It was an irresponsible thing to say. Terribly irresponsible.

He did the USA a great and vast disservice by popularizing that phrase. He made it cool to hate government. Which is not cool, and never was.

And that was a despicable shame.

No. Government is not the problem.

Government is what we, the people, make it. We built that! Nobody else did it. We did it. We have a government that was put together one piece at a time on our watch. We could have risen up and objected loudly and in unison at any point. Our leaders would be forced to listen if only enough of us were to make our voices heard.

And that could still happen. But time and time again we give in to what big money wants. A health care law that rips us off and puts tons of cash into the insurance industry, big pharma, and the health care industry. What else does big money want? Lower taxes, fewer regulations, no inheritance tax for super-rich fortune-builders, low taxes on investment income. Always with the promise that it will trickle down.

And always it makes the rich richer and the rest left further behind. /sarc: (Hey! Let's just let that go on forever! Yeehaw! Here. Hold my beer. Watch this! What could possibly go wrong?) /

If the rich want it, you can bet it's probably not good for anybody else.

If we choose to be apathetic and let the rich have their way (like 99% of Americans) then we get whatever the greedy rich want. A populace who thinks government is the problem.

A bought off government that serves the super-rich, runs itself into massive debt as the super-rich highest earners enjoy tax-cuts. And the people blame the government, not the ones who bought it off!

A government that serves the greediest ultra-wealthy elite, and lets them do whatever they want.

And you know what that means.

Take a wild guess.

Oh, why don't I just blurt it out.

Extracting our wealth.

That's what very rich greedy people do. They want to get as much wealth as they can, and they figure the way to do that is suck in as much as they can from you and me. And it sure works great to have government in your back pocket to do that.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

No.

Government is not the problem.

It is the apathetic people who let the rich greedy people do their darnedest.

And it's frustrating.

Because you know, if we could just get all these people educated to the point that they understand and grasp the importance of being well informed and actively engaged in being a citizen of the USA and living up to your civic duty of monitoring government and communicating regularly with your representative and voting from a knowledgeable position,,,

if we could just do that,

then all the money in the world would not buy these rich greedy people much influence at all with government. Because government would know the voters would not have it.

And then we could have a government we understand and are satisfied with.

And we would know better than to listen to anybody who tries to say government is the problem.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (01-17-2019), Cypress (01-17-2019), evince (01-17-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Reagan made America hate again.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Government is not the enemy. We don't need to kill government or fight government.
    The government is not your friend, it is a necessary evil that we need to keep as small as possible. Hungry people make a strong government, hungry government makes strong people.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    The government is not your friend, it is a necessary evil that we need to keep as small as possible. Hungry people make a strong government, hungry government makes strong people.
    Government is what we make it. And you are wrong about trying to have the smallest government possible. The Constitution doesn't say that. It says we will promote the general welfare.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

Government is what we make it.
    Indeed. Hungry people make a strong government, hungry government makes strong people. We should "make" a hungry government and strong people.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Indeed. Hungry people make a strong government, hungry government makes strong people. We should "make" a hungry government and strong people.
    Pardon me, but that's dumb.

That's like giving up.

Everybody should be without.

What a dumb plan.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Everybody should be without.
    Everybody should be all they can be, not all they can take. The only reason why lefties want big gubmint is so that the gubmint can redistribute from the productive to those who want big gubmint.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good morning 3D,

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Didn't you claim on another thread that government doesn't support labor and the common man because it is controlled by the rich and powerful? That sentiment doesn't sound like one in which the government is an extension of the people.
    If you can find the quote I can elaborate. Government feigns to support the common man only enough to placate. Obviously the skids are greased for the super-rich who have been sliding into massive wealth at the same time our nation slides into massive debt, both student and federal, with most of American living paycheck to paycheck. That's the big picture.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Everybody should be all they can be, not all they can take. The only reason why lefties want big gubmint is so that the gubmint can redistribute from the productive to those who want big gubmint.
    As opposed to the capitalists controlling government to redistribute the wealth of human capital from those who do the labor to those who employ them?

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

As opposed to the capitalists controlling government to redistribute the wealth of human capital from those who do the labor to those who employ them?
    I remember feeling like my labor was being exploited when I was learning my trade. I remember complaining to my employer and asking for more money, and being turned down. What I did was shop around for a new employer, and I was soon working for an employer and a wage that I was happy with. I began to appreciate capitalism, but as time went on, I again was dissatisfied. I moved to higher paying jobs many times, until I got to a point where nobody would pay more than I was already getting. The only way I could see was to become the employer myself, and thank goodness for capitalism! Nothing was stopping me from opening my own business, so I used all the career knowledge that all my employers paid for over the years and did it. Capitalism is beautiful!

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

There is no friend relationship with institutions. Is your bank or grocery store your friend. That's not the term to describe a relationship with something that is not human. So dispense with that. The relationship is how the agencies have been crafted to serve the people and make their lives better. That is surely not inimical. Call the IRS and ask for tax help and you will derive a clear and thorough help. The EPA is designed to help keep the air ,land and water cleaner. It is friendly only if you use water, breathe or do not want to be poisioned.
    Last edited by Nordberg; 01-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

I remember feeling like my labor was being exploited when I was learning my trade. I remember complaining to my employer and asking for more money, and being turned down. What I did was shop around for a new employer, and I was soon working for an employer and a wage that I was happy with. I began to appreciate capitalism, but as time went on, I again was dissatisfied. I moved to higher paying jobs many times, until I got to a point where nobody would pay more than I was already getting. The only way I could see was to become the employer myself, and thank goodness for capitalism! Nothing was stopping me from opening my own business, so I used all the career knowledge that all my employers paid for over the years and did it. Capitalism is beautiful!
    A great story. My own is very similar. Those who are adept and determined can make themselves rich. Seems like the major difference between our stories is the conclusions we are left with. Yours seems to be about what you get for what you did. Mine is one of empathy. You are thinking of yourself and what you get, and I am thinking of the big picture and what everybody gets.

Those who simply want to work a job, be a part of things, contribute their fair share? they get left behind. And what they are left with is getting to be so little that for some families it is not enough to live on, even with two workers bringing in paychecks.

And I while I am looking at the big picture and thinking of others, not just myself, I also consider trends which take place over a long period of time. And I wonder if our nation, under loosely regulated capitalism, is sustainable or if it will eat itself in the long run. I have to conclude we are on the road to ruin with the way wealth inequality keeps getting greater and greater. We are turning into the lords and the serfs again. I have to conclude that can't last that way. I would expect that sooner or later, so much wealth will be concentrated that there isn't much left to circulate in our economy. Seems like the only thing preventing a recession, due to widespread lack of wealth, is the government assistance that conservatives would do away with in their lust for more wealth.

If conservatives got everything on their wish list, a lot of people who have good government jobs would lose them, and they would look for work in the capitalist market. But the work they might find would pay very little, because with so many people willing to work, the wages would be very low. And there would be no government assistance, because conservatives would end that too. So people would simply do without, unable to buy things. Consumerism would plummet. There would be a recession. Not to mention tremendous unrest. To do that bad thing to all those millions of people would be a shame. And there would be nothing to end it. So then it would become a depression. And revenue would drop. So the government would be strung out on debt, too.

Doesn't sound like a great nation to me. Sounds like one that is stripped to the bone; dedicated to the rich only. I think that's dumb.

The rich would truly have it all. And there wouldn't be any extra for circulation. The economy would essentially shut down.

So, naturally, I don't want a conservative future for the USA.

Unrestrained capitalism serves the powerful few. We are a nation of many. Doing what conservatives want does not promote the general welfare. It promotes the exclusive welfare. That's not what the USA is all about.

Conservative ideas are not what the USA is all about.

We want a nation that works for everybody.

We want a government that looks out for everybody.

And if we have to tax the rich to give to the poor then that is what we have to do.

For the good of our country.

And you know it is all going to end up in a giant redistribution network, anyway. AI is going to eliminate most jobs. Oh, it won't happen right away. First it will be just one set of jobs. And many will say well it wasn't my job so I don't care. Then it will be more jobs. And the ones who still have jobs after that will say well it wasn't my job so I don't care. But then another thing will happen. All the people who got thrown out of jobs will try to retrain and go after the remaining jobs. And then employers will find out they can get really obedient selfless and diligent workers for far lower wages. And they will be happy to cut those wages and improve their profits.

So, even if AI doesn't take your job right away?

It will take your wages.

Then another thing will happen. With so many people losing wages, many will go into foreclosure, or they will sell cheap if they can. The housing market will be negatively impacted. Values will fall.

And then another thing will happen. With far fewer people able to spend freely, consumerism will drop. Business volumes will drop. Thin margin businesses will cease to earn profits. They will take heavy losses, have layoffs, sell-offs. Chapter 11. Ouuuu.

So we don't want that.

We need to have a good relationship with our government. We need to feel like it is our partner in life. We all have this relationship with our government, and it works in our collective favor. And that is good, because we humans happen to live in collectives. No collective can function without some kind of organization, and the way we are organized as a nation is through government. You know, it is often said that for collaborations, the total can equal more than the sum of the parts. Sports teams know this. Good business teams know this. And it happens in government, too. Government can and does do some pretty amazing things to enhance our lives, when you look at the big picture. There's no way we could do all that for ourselves. Our government is extraordinary!

Here we are, perhaps the most advanced nation on the planet, and we also have one of the most immense governments on the planet. Maybe there is something to that. Ya THINK? Great nation - great government. They go hand in hand.

Government is not the problem. Bad government. That's the problem. And who is supposed to take care of our government? The British? Sorry. Not any more. It's us, baby. If government is not performing the way we want it to it is all on us. Blaming government is blaming ourselves. We ARE our government. We built that. We own that.

And it is up to us to fix it.

And we've got enough work to do without people arguing that we shouldn't do it. So please just take a fresh look at the big picture and consider what would happen if current trends are allowed to continue over a long period of time. What we are doing is not sustainable. We have to tax the rich more. We can't really cut any spending. We've tried that. Republicans absolutely RAILED about it during Obama, and then they got control. They had the House, the Senate and the White House. Why didn't they cut any spending then? They could have thrown out Obamacare. They only reason they didn't do that is very simple. Self preservation. If they did that, a lot of them would have been voted OUT.

I think you need to consider the possibility that I might just be right about this. You guys had your chance to go hard right and you couldn't do it. Time to look at going the other way. And you know what? It won't be so bad. What would be so bad about it? What. You're afraid you night have to pay more taxes? I can tell you why that is totally not a problem. It's the kind of problems you WANT to have. Better that than to be on the receiving end of the dole. If you think it's really better on the other end, you always have the option of giving everything away, go penniless, then apply for whatever benefits you can. I think you already know you don't want to do that because you know you have it better.

So if you're rich, tell me. Just what part of your lifestyle do you think you will have to give up if your taxes go up? (I don't think it will be anything)

How many rich men have been taxed into poverty? Examples? OK then.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Reagan made America hate again.
    he was merely doing what the corporate money ordered up

he was a evil man for doing that

16. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-17-2019)

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

A great story. My own is very similar...
    It is great that you have thought all this out, and that you are passionate about it. I remain confident that a hungry government makes strong people, and that hungry people make a strong government. I also disapprove of being obligated to support capable but non productive people.