Thread: For Conservatives

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    What I'm saying is that I get how right-wing media built this into a scandal in the minds of right-wingers. They pushed the idea that the Obama administration deliberately misreported some contextual facts about the attack in order to make it play better for them with the public. My point is that even if we set aside the fact that claim was based on mere speculation (nobody ever established deliberate dishonesty on the part of the Obama team with regard to the attack), and even if we were to assume the Obama administration really did spin things to the point of dishonesty that way, it still doesn't justify the right-wing reaction. Remember, they used that inconsequential bit of allegedly dishonest spin as the basis for a four-year-long scandal and endless hearings.

As you presumably are well aware, the Trump administration engages in dishonest spin all the time. For example, Trump claimed ISIS was defeated in Syria, as part of justifying his decision to withdraw, which obviously isn't true. Based on the Benghazi precedent, the Democrats could use that lie as the basis of getting hold of the emails of top members of his administration and going through them all to show what evidence the Trump team actually had about ISIS in Syria when Trump was making that claim. But that kind of disingenuous government-by-pseudo-scandal approach just isn't a bipartisan thing in this country. The Democrats are still observing more or less the ordinary standards of government, while the Republicans have embraced an ethos that says "by any means necessary."
    I appreciate that you are still putting some effort into being objective and neutral. The concept and craftsmanship of your opening essay has merit, but there is still too much conflict for the comparison to work. Both sides of the aisle remain too subjective to do this. Each side sees the other's president and administration as more dishonest than their own. If this thread was on the APP forum, it would have a better chance at genuine objective consideration, but probably would make it anyway. I despise you for being on the other side of the aisle, but I do enjoy your essays. You are one of the few lefties here who brings anything worthwhile to the table for debate. Thanks.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

Oneuli (01-17-2019)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,252 Times in 7,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

What I'm saying is that I get how right-wing media built this into a scandal in the minds of right-wingers. They pushed the idea that the Obama administration deliberately misreported some contextual facts about the attack in order to make it play better for them with the public. My point is that even if we set aside the fact that claim was based on mere speculation (nobody ever established deliberate dishonesty on the part of the Obama team with regard to the attack), and even if we were to assume the Obama administration really did spin things to the point of dishonesty that way, it still doesn't justify the right-wing reaction. Remember, they used that inconsequential bit of allegedly dishonest spin as the basis for a four-year-long scandal and endless hearings.

As you presumably are well aware, the Trump administration engages in dishonest spin all the time. For example, Trump claimed ISIS was defeated in Syria, as part of justifying his decision to withdraw, which obviously isn't true. Based on the Benghazi precedent, the Democrats could use that lie as the basis of getting hold of the emails of top members of his administration and going through them all to show what evidence the Trump team actually had about ISIS in Syria when Trump was making that claim. But that kind of disingenuous government-by-pseudo-scandal approach just isn't a bipartisan thing in this country. The Democrats are still observing more or less the ordinary standards of government, while the Republicans have embraced an ethos that says "by any means necessary."
    This false equivalency thing that says, "Democrats do to Republican what Republicans do to Democrats" is probably at the heart of why so many American conservatives think the media is terribly biased to the left.

The comments you have made about how the Republicans would be handling matters if the positions were reversed right now, Oneuli, hit the nail squarely on its head.

There is no doubt there is spinning (and plenty of it) from BOTH sides of the aisle (I am not denying that)...but ANYONE who think the Democrats or liberals do the kinds of things regularly done by the Republicans or American conservatives...is simply not looking at things objectively.

Yes! OBJECTIVITY on this matter demands that there is nowhere near equivalency...and that any equivalency perceived is false equivalency.

That leads to: What American conservatives perceive as FAKE NEWS or left-leaning bias in the MSM...is, for the most part, merely the MSM reporting the truth.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (01-18-2019), Oneuli (01-17-2019)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    This false equivalency thing that says, "Democrats do to Republican what Republicans do to Democrats" is probably at the heart of why so many American conservatives think the media is terribly biased to the left.

The comments you have made about how the Republicans would be handling matters if the positions were reversed right now, Oneuli, hit the nail squarely on its head.

There is no doubt there is spinning (and plenty of it) from BOTH sides of the aisle (I am not denying that)...but ANYONE who think the Democrats or liberals do the kinds of things regularly done by the Republicans or American conservatives...is simply not looking at things objectively.

Yes! OBJECTIVITY on this matter demands that there is nowhere near equivalency...and that any equivalency perceived is false equivalency.

That leads to: What American conservatives perceive as FAKE NEWS or left-leaning bias in the MSM...is, for the most part, merely the MSM reporting the truth.
    You are subjectively objective.

Ya know... All righties were once lefties. We were born as little lefties who screamed and cried for that tit or bottle, and it took years for us to become civilized. It is important to consider that since righties were once lefties, we know what it is like to be a lefty from first hand memories and knowledge. This is important, because it means that righties can actually evaluate things from both a lefty perspective, AND a righty perspective. Lefties, on the other hand, have never been righties, which means that they can only process things with lefty thoughts. Lefties cannot think like righties, but righties CAN think like lefties.

Frankly frank, you simply cannot be objective as a lefty. The best you can do is to speculate what righties think, but you can only speculate with exclusively lefty thoughts. You see and process the world though a lefty lens, so you cannot see what the rest of us see without the lefty lens that you are limited to. You can only be subjectively objective. Thanks for trying though.

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post

Ya know... All righties were once lefties. We were born as little lefties who screamed and cried for that tit or bottle, and it took years for us to become civilized. It is important to consider that since righties were once lefties, we know what it is like to be a lefty from first hand memories and knowledge. This is important, because it means that righties can actually evaluate things from both a lefty perspective, AND a righty perspective. Lefties, on the other hand, have never been righties, which means that they can only process things with lefty thoughts. Lefties cannot think like righties, but righties CAN think like lefties.

Frankly frank, you simply cannot be objective as a lefty. The best you can do is to speculate what righties think, but you can only speculate with exclusively lefty thoughts. You see and process the world though a lefty lens, so you cannot see what the rest of us see without the lefty lens that you are limited to. You can only be subjectively objective. Thanks for trying though.
    You are full of shit, Evmetro.

There was a time in my life where I was as "righty" as one could be. There was a time when I distinctly remember giving a spirited defense of Senator Joseph Mc Carthy to a group of people who were castigating him...and his tactics. (Yeah, I cringe in regret and embarrassment at that recollection.)

I was too young to vote for Dwight Eisenhower, but had I been old enough, I undoubtedly would have voted for him.

I voted for Ronald Reagan the first time he ran.

Any thoughts you have that assholes American conservatives like you are able to view issues from both sides, but that people who advocate for a progressive agenda cannot...is so ludicrous I am amazed even a moron like you is not laughing at them. The fact that you think YOU are "objective" in what you post here...is even more laughable.

Lastly, you are full of shit, Evmetro.

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

ISIS took credit for the recent attack at a Syrian restaurant that killed four Americans -- two service members, and two civilians. I'd like to invite you to think through what your reaction would be if we found there was some confusion in the administration's initial communications response to the attack -- for example, if, in the immediate confusion following the attack, the administration were slow to publicly identify ISIS as the attacker, or didn't consistently call it an act of terror, or speculated incorrectly about some details about the circumstances around the attack, etc.

The reasonable reaction would be to give them some leeway. If the botched messaging or flubbed details made no practical difference in policy, and were cleared up in fairly short order, it just wouldn't be much of a story, right? Even the most crazed of liberals would have trouble treating that post-attack communications aspect of the story as a huge scandal. Yet now, imagine if it were a Democratic administration. Or, rather, don't imagine it, since we have a close parallel. After the Benghazi attack, there was a short period of confusion about whether or not an anti-Muslim video, which had sparked a riot at our Cairo embassy that same day, had also played a role in the Benghazi attack. Needless to say, the conservatives didn't grant the administration any leeway about that. Even though those details made no practical difference in policy, and were cleared up in fairly short order, it was treated as a major scandal. In fact, players in the administration were still being grilled relentlessly, four years later, about why they weren't quicker to definitively publicly identify ISIS as the attackers, why they speculated about a role for the video, and similar trivia. It was baffling to those of us outside the conservative media bubble.

The argument the right-wingers used to justify freaking out about short-term communications snafus regarding Benghazi was the idea that Obama had an incentive to maintain the illusion he was making progress in the war on ISIS, so his team tried to downplay the attack and the connection between ISIS and the attack. Well, in a similar sense, Trump clearly has an incentive to downplay this attack (he has yet to comment on it), and ISIS's continuing ability to harm us in Syria, since his plan for withdrawal was sold with the idea ISIS had already been defeated there. Yet, for the life of me, I can't imagine turning a little political spin about this attack into a massive four-year-long scandal. Can you?
    You left out the part about blaming the attack on an anti-Muslim video probably 8 people ever saw lol.

The video maker ever make it out of jail?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    You left out the part about blaming the attack on an anti-Muslim video probably 8 people ever saw lol.
    Reread. As you presumably know, there was an attack just hours earlier on our Cairo embassy keyed to the outrage following Egyptian media coverage of the anti-Muslim video. So, it makes sense that initially people thought the attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi wasn't just coincidentally timed, but instead was also linked to that outrage. But, wingnuts needed some sort of scandal, and so they pretended that it was unreasonable to make such an assumption.... and further, that the administration deliberately got that detail wrong for some reason. But the point here is that even if the right-wing conspiracy theory were true, and the administration had mentioned a role for the video even though they internally doubted it had a role, that kind of false communication about an irrelevant contextual detail simply wouldn't justify a four-year-long witch hunt, like the one the GOP ran based on it. As you know, we could list dozens of examples of deliberate lies about fairly inconsequential things in Trump administration communications, right off the top of our heads, and the Democrats never turn those into Benghazi-style witch hunts.

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Reread. As you presumably know, there was an attack just hours earlier on our Cairo embassy keyed to the outrage following Egyptian media coverage of the anti-Muslim video. So, it makes sense that initially people thought the attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi wasn't just coincidentally timed, but instead was also linked to that outrage. But, wingnuts needed some sort of scandal, and so they pretended that it was unreasonable to make such an assumption.... and further, that the administration deliberately got that detail wrong for some reason. But the point here is that even if the right-wing conspiracy theory were true, and the administration had mentioned a role for the video even though they internally doubted it had a role, that kind of false communication about an irrelevant contextual detail simply wouldn't justify a four-year-long witch hunt, like the one the GOP ran based on it. As you know, we could list dozens of examples of deliberate lies about fairly inconsequential things in Trump administration communications, right off the top of our heads, and the Democrats never turn those into Benghazi-style witch hunts.
    You’re right, it’s in there.

You’re posts can be a little wordy so it would help if you hit the ‘return’ button a little more often lol.

Did the video maker ever make it out of jail?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default For Conservatives

💙Koko ✊🏻✊🏾✊🏿💙

@Kokomothegreat

Due to the shutdown, POTUS has been shortened to POS.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-18-2019)

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There was a time in my life where I was as "righty" as one could be.
    This never happened. We are all born as little commies. When feral humans are brought into the world, commie is our natural state. Our mental evolution only goes to the right as we become more civilized, and we don't devolve mentally unless we become injured or very old. Commies are not to blame for their uncivilized condition, they just haven't learned to be civilized. Once you become a righty, you don't just devolve back to being the commie you once were. There are plenty of commies who call themselves Repubs, Libertarians, and conservatives, but that doesn't change who they really are.

Frankly Fran, it is not worth it for you to try processing what I am talking about, since you can only process this debate with lefty thoughts. I still have access to my own inner commie thoughts like yours, but I also have access to righty thoughts that you don't have. You cannot see the significance of these implications.

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This never happened.
    If you are saying I am lying about anything I wrote...YOU CAN GO FUCK YOURSELF.

We are all born as little commies. When feral humans are brought into the world, commie is our natural state. Our mental evolution only goes to the right as we become more civilized, and we don't devolve mentally unless we become injured or very old.
    The only way anyone goes to the American right at this point in time, is by subscribing to the disgusting American conservative mantra, "I've got mine, fuck everyone else."

If you are trying to convince me you are at that point...don't bother. I accept it without question. .

Commies are not to blame for their uncivilized condition, they just haven't learned to be civilized. Once you become a righty, you don't just devolve back to being the commie you once were. There are plenty of commies who call themselves Repubs, Libertarians, and conservatives, but that doesn't change who they really are.
    You can speak with some communists about that. I am not a communist.

Frankly Fran, it is not worth it for you to try processing what I am talking about, since you can only process this debate with lefty thoughts.
    Fuck you very much for that thought...but you wrong.

I still have access to my own inner commie thoughts like yours, but I also have access to righty thoughts that you don't have. You cannot see the significance of these implications.
    I can see that you are full of shit. That apparently is something you do not realize...or are not acknowledging as significant to our present conversation.

The significance of that is more important than any perceived significance you see in your imaginary, "...you can only process this debate with lefty thoughts"...to which I say, once again, FUCK YOU.

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beto Omar View Post
    You’re posts can be a little wordy so it would help if you hit the ‘return’ button a little more often lol.
    Ok,

if

you

insist,

I'll

make

an

effort.

Did the video maker ever make it out of jail?
    No clue.

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ok,

if

you

insist,

I'll

make

an

effort.

No clue.
    Cute.

But on this point, Darth is correct.

Post that look like Borg cubes are tough to read. A few more paragraph spaces would help.

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Cute.

Post that look like Borg cubes are tough to read. A few more paragraph spaces would help.
    You WILL be assimilated.

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Cute.

Borg cubes.

Lol Frankie.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-18-2019)

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

That kind of bullshit is why you're universally laughed at here and never taken seriously by anyone but yourself.

Sort of pathetic how you buy into your own bullshit, but no one else does.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CharacterAssassin For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-18-2019)