Members banned from this thread: Truth Detector, MAGA MAN and CFM

Thread: American icon Woodie Guthrie once denounced his landlord Fred "Old Man" Trump in song

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Default American icon Woodie Guthrie once denounced his landlord Fred "Old Man" Trump in song

A Story About Fred Trump and Woody Guthrie for the Midterm Elections

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...term-elections

In 1950, Woody Guthrie moved into an apartment at Beach Haven, a cluster of sixteen residential buildings in Gravesend, Brooklyn, just a few minutes from the creaky boardwalk and frankfurter stands at Coney Island Beach. The complex was owned and operated by Fred Trump, which means that, for the two years Guthrie lived and wrote there, Trump was his landlord. It remains unsettling to accept that their signatures co-exist on the same lease agreement.

In the nineteen-seventies, Fred Trump was accused by the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Justice Department of creating a “substantial impediment to the full enjoyment of equal opportunity” at Beach Haven; it appeared that he didn’t like to rent apartments to black people. (The case was eventually settled.) The complex’s reputation hasn’t improved much in the intervening decades. In 2016, Beach Haven, which is now operated by Beach Haven Apartments Associates, was fined for dumping two hundred thousand gallons of untreated sewage into Coney Island Creek each day. It is the largest fine that the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has ever levied against an apartment building for the mishandling of human waste.

Guthrie didn’t much like the place—he took to calling it “Bitch Havens” in his correspondence—and, in 1954, he wrote a delightfully scornful song about Trump’s discriminatory rental policies. Several handwritten drafts of the lyrics—sometimes titled “Beach Haven Race Hate,” “Beach Haven Ain’t My Home,” and “Old Man Trump”—are presently on display at the Woody Guthrie Center, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Will Kaufman, a professor of American literature and culture at the University of Central Lancashire, in Britain, was the first researcher to discover the lyrics in Guthrie’s considerable archive. (Guthrie never recorded or published the song.) Earlier this week, I went to see them in person. The first verse is explicit in its indictments:

I suppose
    Old Man Trump knows
    Just how much
    Racial Hate
    He stirred up
    In the bloodpot of human hearts
    When he drawed
    That color line

In his best songs, Guthrie is equally seized by feelings of outrage and hope. Listening to his records is still my favorite way to remember that those feelings can productively and even beneficially co-exist—that the former doesn’t necessarily have to eradicate the latter. Guthrie clung to an optimistic belief in the generosity and decency of all human beings. In the end, he believed, we would surely do right by one another. In 2013, Jay Farrar, Jim James, Will Johnson, and Anders Parker recorded a version of an unfinished Guthrie song called “Hoping Machine,” for a tribute record called “New Multitudes”:

Whatever you do, wherever you go
    Don’t lose your grip on life and that means
    Don’t let any earthy calamity knock your dreamer and your hoping machine
    Out of order

Guthrie’s idealism feels especially remarkable, given his family’s troubling history. Both Guthrie and Donald Trump had fathers who can reasonably be accused of repugnant (and illegal) behavior. It seems likely that Charles Guthrie was involved in the Ku Klux Klan, and played some role in the horrifying lynching, in 1911, of Laura and L. D. Nelson, seven miles southwest of Okemah, Oklahoma, Guthrie’s home town. In 2000, photographs of the lynching were displayed at a gallery in New York City, as part of an exhibition titled “Witness: Photographs of Lynchings from the Collection of James Allen.” In one, a scrum of onlookers crowds a railroad bridge, while the Nelsons’ bodies swing, lifeless, over the North Canadian River. It is a ghastly image. Was Charles on the bridge? Had he been part of the gnashing mob of robed men who dragged the Nelsons from their jail cells? (Fred Trump, too, could have been affiliated with the K.K.K.: in 1927, the New York Times reported that he was arrested at a Klan rally in Jamaica, Queens, though the precise circumstances of that arrest remain unclear; the President, for his part, has said that the arrest never happened.)

Guthrie worked vehemently to spread and express deep empathy for his neighbors. Now Guthrie’s trajectory feels like an antidote to Donald Trump’s: sometimes, within a single generation, everything can and does change. “We’ll show these fascists what a couple of hillbillies can do,” Guthrie announced on a 1944 radio broadcast, before launching into “All You Fascists,” a ninety-second song about bending the arc of history:

I’m gonna tell you fascists
    You may be surprised
    The people in this world
    Are getting organized
    You’re bound to lose
    You fascists bound to lose

Guthrie sounds giddy singing it—as if he were certain that the benevolence of humankind would inevitably prevail. Gazing at his lyrics, in Tulsa, the morning before Election Day, I felt a brief and welcome punch of faith.

https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

evince (01-15-2019), Guno צְבִי (01-14-2019), kudzu (01-14-2019), Phantasmal (01-14-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great story......
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

evince (01-15-2019), Guno צְבִי (01-15-2019), Nomad (01-14-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

I lost a heated game of trivial pursuit that took forever because I couldn't remember that dude's name. Screw him. I hope Trump kept his radiator on in the summer and off in the winter.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I lost a heated game of trivial pursuit that took forever because I couldn't remember that dude's name. Screw him. I hope Trump kept his radiator on in the summer and off in the winter.
    I bet you won’t forget it, again.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

evince (01-15-2019), Guno צְבִי (01-15-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I bet you won’t forget it, again.
    LOL I have since waited for every question in which it might be the answer. If I have no idea, it is a go to response, so you are correct.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-14-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I hope you lost what was left of your measely paycheck on the game and had to spend the rest of the week eating dumpster scraps behind McDonald's.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,835 Times in 17,266 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Trump is a second generation bigot and son of a slum lord.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Woody was America's first important protest, folk singer. He sung and wrote songs about life, mostly the poor and disadvantaged. He also wrote, "This land is Your land" which has made a fortune in commercials for his son Arlo.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I hope you lost what was left of your measely paycheck on the game and had to spend the rest of the week eating dumpster scraps behind McDonald's.
    Well at least you still have dreams.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,849 Times in 14,187 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

evince (01-15-2019)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

Woody Guthrie was a proud Communist .....

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    Woody Guthrie was a proud Communist .....
    If you lived where he did , you might have been one too. Sadly the wealth gap in America is worse than it was during the Gilded Age, and you like it. Truth is it could be dangerous for the American experiment.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,774 Times in 27,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fred Trump was a con man

He cheated our war efforts by over charging for the military contracts awarded him

he got investigated by congress

one of the people investigating him was Prescott Bush