Members banned from this thread: Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Into the Night, Enlightened One, Anarchon and artichoke

Thread: Wow. We Had RADAR-Guided Auto AA Guns In WWII. Inventor Didn't Do It For Profit. Just

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Wow. We Had RADAR-Guided Auto AA Guns In WWII. Inventor Didn't Do It For Profit. Just

These banks of automatic AA guns were aimed using RADAR, and automatically fired by computer. All of this didn't exist previously and was envisioned and invented by Alfred Loomis, who (get this) didn't do it to get rich.

Actually, he got rich so he could do it! He spent his own money developing his ideas.

He was so smart he figured out to get out of the Stock Market just before the crash of '29. Walked away super-rich, and then he went to work furthering science. He was interested in sound waves and radio waves.

He was convinced that the USA was going to be drawn into WWII, and he realized he could develop new weapons, and that the USA would need them. So he did it. With his own money.

He also was instrumental in getting many of the best minds in Science and Engineering out of Germany in the lead-up to the war. He saved many great Jewish minds who then made excellent contributions to his work.

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

Ever wonder how England was able to shoot so many Buzz Bombs right out of the sky? Yes. A lot of rounds were shot up there, but they had help aiming. SERIOUS help.

These RADAR-guided automatic AA guns were instrumental in England surviving the German V1 Buzz Bombs. They allowed a small number of RAF aircraft to defend the nation from German Aerial Attacks. They could hit their targets despite cloud cover or darkness. Phenomenal technology at the time. It was only made possible because Churchill GAVE AWAY all the latest technology Britain had to the USA. Churchill knew Britain lacked the resources to fully develop what they had learned, and gambled that if he gave what they had to the Americans that it would come back to them. Loomis was trying to develop a microwave transmitter to make his RADAR system work, and the Brits already had a prototype. Loomis did the rest and got it all produced.

People say President Trump has no class. Well, HERE is a very classy rich guy:

"Alfred Loomis was a Wall Street tycoon who predicted the Crash of ’29, became a full time scientific researcher, and developed the radar technology that helped win WWII. Filmmaker Rob Rapley introduces viewers to this little know scientist who change the course of history."

Tycoon Turned Scientist (The value of PBS. Who ever heard of this guy? He AVOIDED publicity)

This show is an hour and a half. Suggest you hook your computer up to your TV and enjoy. I found it fascinating.

Here'e the wiki page on Loomis:

Alfred Lee Loomis

What the guy.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (01-14-2019), Tranquillus in Exile (01-18-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

4. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-14-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I had no idea we had such technology during WWII. RADAR and computer-guided AA guns? Wow.

RADAR was so new in WWII that when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, the command chain disregarded the alert sounded by the RADAR operator, who clearly saw the hundreds of Japanese planes approaching. They thought it was better to not disturb the higher officers early on a Sunday Morning. Despite the number of airplanes being wrong, and the direction, they assumed they were seeing a squadron of B17's approaching from the mainland, due in that morning.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah. This guy was like Tesla and Jonas Salk. He didn't ask what his nation could do for him. He asked what he could do for his nation.

During the war, the Allies didn't want to give away the secret of this technology. So they could not publicly recognize Loomis for what he was doing. He was the quiet hero, working 'under the radar,' so to speak.

Working under the radar and ON IT.

No, they didn't want to give away this secret, so they lauded the RAF. Not that the RAF didn't deserve it! They gave the credit for defending England to the RAF, but really much of it must go to Loomis.

Churchill said: "Never was so much owed by so many to so few." Churchill knew the truth. And he knew why those few were able to do what they did.

Wow. The public didn't know the half of it.

We all owe so much to Loomis.

Wow.

We are so lucky.

Making America great is not always about making a profit.
    Sometimes it is about working on something you feel is needed, and you want to do it because you think you can. And you want to make this contribution to society. Capitalism may have build that. Social responsibility and the desire to do for others is what told capitalism what to build.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (01-18-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Too bad we don't have anybody like this around these days.

Or do we?

If we did, we probably wouldn't know about them.

Few knew much about Loomis till after he was dead.

That's the way he wanted it.

He wanted to give to society because it was the right thing to do.

What's wrong with all these rich people who can never be satisfied with all they have and they always want more?

Sometimes wealth can be a mental disease.

Trump's got it bad.

If you ask him when he has enough wealth, he will always say not yet.

If only he could take his wealth and be like Loomis.

But, of course, Donald Trump is not as smart as Alfred Loomis.

Loomis was a great man.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is one of the greatest Americans who really made America great.

Unlike President Trump who just sucks wealth out of the nation.

Loomis did it all because it was the right thing to do.

He didn't do it 'for the profit motive.'

He spent his own money to save the free world from the tyranny of Hitler.

I see that President Trump did not contribute to the GoFundMe for the wall.

Even though he claims he's got more wealth than the amount he's asking the taxpayers to borrow and spend.

He's the cheapskate who treats championship teams to fast food and thinks he is being generous.

He spent the money that was donated to his foundation to pay court-ordered judgements after he lost in court for stiffing somebody who won a golf tournament.

And he colluded with Russia to get elected.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

A radar chain was deployed around the coasts of Britain just before the war. It played a major part in winning the Battle of Britain in 1940.

Apparently the Germans didn't understand its importance - they made no sustained attempt to knock it out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-21-2019)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Tranquillus in Exile,

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    A radar chain was deployed around the coasts of Britain just before the war. It played a major part in winning the Battle of Britain in 1940.

Apparently the Germans didn't understand its importance - they made no sustained attempt to knock it out.
    I wonder when they became aware of it.

And I also wonder when they found out there were banks of radar-guided computer-controlled AA guns?

That had to remain top secret for a long time. Do you think Hitler even knew about it?

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is amazing that this guy foresaw WWII, and also imagined the possibility of an advanced weapon system which required him to develop not just RADAR, but also A COMPUTER, back in the 1930's when neither thing even existed. Not only did he perfect both, but he put them together to create an amazing defensive weapon that likely saved England.

And he did it all, not for profit or fame, but because he wanted to give what he could to save the free world.

We are so lucky this guy was around.

And there is a larger lesson there.

The profit motive is not the only reason people work hard.

Actually, most workers in the USA are not motivated by profits. Their wages are fixed. It doesn't matter how much they produce, they get paid the same.

Only capitalists, the owners of capital, are motivated by the profit motive.

The reason most people work hard?

It is because if they don't, the lose their job.

We need to understand capitalism is not all it is propagandized to be.