Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: The Godless left showing their tolerance!

1. #316 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,170 Times in 33,867 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I know LOTS of Jews...and I have never encountered a one who is grappling with the question of "Who is a Jew?"

EVERY ONE OF THEM SAYS, "The child of a Jewish woman is a Jew."
    It’s because it has been that way since 70 CE the time the Gospels were being written.

2. #317 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know LOTS of Jews...and I have never encountered a one who is grappling with the question of "Who is a Jew?"

EVERY ONE OF THEM SAYS, "The child of a Jewish woman is a Jew."
    Ask them if that has always been the case.. Because if that's true, King Solomon was NOT a Jew.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

3. #318 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Who is a Jew?

Although the Hebrew Bible defines Jewish identity in patrilineal terms (determined by the identity of the father) the Mishnah states that the offspring of a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father is recognized as a Jew, while the offspring of a non-Jewish mother and a Jewish father is considered a non-Jew. This talmudic position became normative in Jewish law.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myj...l-descent/amp/

The majority view in Karaite Judaism is that Jewish identity can only be transmitted by patrilineal descent They argue that only patrilineal descent can transmit Jewish identity on the grounds that all descent in the Torah went according to the male line. Jewish Tradition Wikipedia

[FONT="]Historically, since the Rabbinic period (post 70 CE), Jewish status was passed down by the mother. This is known as matrilineality. A child of a Jewish mother is Jewish, even if the father is not. Prior to this period, the Bible recognized patrilineal descent, whereby one’s Jewish status was determined by one’s father.

[FONT="]In 1983, the organized Reform Jewish Movement adopted the principal of patrilineal descent. This is a bit of a misnomer. Reform Judaism considers a child of an interfaith couple to be Jewish if one parent is Jewish and the child is raised as a Jew and receives a Jewish education and celebrates appropriate life cycle events, such as receiving a Hebrew name and becoming bar or bat mitzvah. This also assumes that the child is being raised exclusively as a Jew and not practicing another religion.
    [/FONT]
    https://reformjudaism.org/ask-rabbi-...lineal-descent

[/FONT]

Thanks.. Today the pat answer is if the mother is Jewish the children are born Jews, but that was NOT always the case. Bathsheba was not a Jewess nor was Ruth the Grandmother of Jesse and great Grandmother of King David.
    He who is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. Thomas Paine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-16-2019)

5. #319 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,170 Times in 33,867 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Ask them if that has always been the case.. Because if that's true, King Solomon was NOT a Jew.
    Reformed Jews use patralineal descent. It really does depend on which sect of Judaism you practice. It’s not one size fits all.

6. #320 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Frank,

No, I do not think you are the devil.

The descriptor "atheist" means so many things to so many different people...I just want to know what YOU meant when you used it as a descriptor.

The word most assuredly does not speak for itself, Poli.

I DO NOT "BELIEVE" (which is to say, blindly guess) THAT THERE IS A GOD.

I am not an atheist.

I ALSO DO NOT "BELIEVE" (blindly guess) there are no gods.

I also am not a theist.

Some people who use the descriptor "atheist"...in fact ASSERT THAT THERE ARE NO GODS.

So the word does not speak for itself.
    That's interesting.

The whole creator/overseer thing is simply not plausible to me.

Evolution is fact. It is clear that the links between animals and humans are overwhelming. We evolved from lower life forms. Life forms evolve in response to their surroundings. That cannot be plausibly denied. The physical evidence of this is overwhelming. That makes the story of creation false, and thus the entire Bible is to be doubted and not taken as fact (in my view.)

You are what I would call an agnostic. I thought of myself that way for a long time.

I lean that way, but only a minute bit. I have seen so little to support that there is any sort of sentient guidance to the cosmos, that I am 99.9% convinced there is none. But it can't be proved, so I leave room for doubt. The tiniest bit of it. For all essential purposes I am convinced there is no creator/overseer being or beings.

Although it was very interesting reading Van Daniken's 'Chariots Of The Gods.'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #321 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,247 Times in 7,659 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    It’s because it has been that way since 70 CE the time the Gospels were being written.
    Oh...okay.

I was talking about today. Kudzu's comment seemed to be directed toward today. My response was worded to denote I was talking about today.

TODAY.

And...everything I have read or heard from Jews indicates that anyone born of a Jewish mother is a Jew. I have a Jewish nephew. His mother was a Jew...and he is a Jew. Period.

8. #322 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I do not give a fuck if it always has been the case or not.

Your comment...and my response were not about ancient history...or about mythology, Kudzu.

The comment you made that I took issue with was, "All three Abrahamic religions are about patriarchy."

My response was, "I don't think so, Kudzu. For Jews...and child of a Jewish MOTHER is a Jew. That is what defines Jews."

Obviously we are both talking about now. Your comment is in the PRESENT TENSE...and so are mine.

9. #323 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do not give a fuck if it always has been the case or not.

Your comment...and my response were not about ancient history...or about mythology, Kudzu.

The comment you made that I took issue with was, "All three Abrahamic religions are about patriarchy."

My response was, "I don't think so, Kudzu. For Jews...and child of a Jewish MOTHER is a Jew. That is what defines Jews."

Obviously we are both talking about now. Your comment is in the PRESENT TENSE...and so are mine.
    That is the way Jews have believed since Ezra 10.. If you were correct, Solomon and David would NOT have been Jews.

10. #324 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Frank,

That's interesting.

The whole creator/overseer thing is simply not plausible to me.
    Okay.

Evolution is fact. It is clear that the links between animals and humans are overwhelming. We evolved from lower life forms. Life forms evolve in response to their surroundings. That cannot be plausibly denied. The physical evidence of this is overwhelming. That makes the story of creation false, and thus the entire Bible is to be doubted and not taken as fact (in my view.)
    I did not bring "the Bible" into this...and I really wish it hadn't been...but...

If the discussion is about whether any gods exist or not..."the Bible" has but one of the zillions of possibilities of gods.

That is narrowing it down way too much.

As far as the Bible is concerned, here is my take (for the third time this week) taken from a reply I gave to someone condemning homosexuality:

AS FOR THE BIBLE: My personal opinion is that the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a self-serving history of the early Hebrew people interspersed with a fanciful religious mythology. My opinion is that the best guess that can be made about the religious aspects of the Bible is that the people writing the material—the people inventing the god—put their prejudices into the mouth of the god they invented. Almost all of the anger, hatred, and prejudice against homosexuals today in our country has its genesis in the biblical mythology—and has absolutely no place in the hearts and minds of people supposedly as intelligent as we. It is my opinion that the unwarranted prejudice against homosexuals should end not because people are able to justify disregarding the more obviously silly ravings of what almost certainly is a mythical god…but because we, as an intelligent and basically fair species, should see such prejudice for the ignorance it is.

You are what I would call an agnostic. I thought of myself that way for a long time.
    I used to call myself an agnostic...but then the conversations became about what is meant by "agnostic."

Now I just describe my position rather than use a descriptor:

I do not know if gods exist or not;
    I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...that the existence of gods is impossible;
    I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;
    I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

I lean that way, but only a minute bit. I have seen so little to support that there is any sort of sentient guidance to the cosmos, that I am 99.9% convinced there is none. But it can't be proved, so I leave room for doubt. The tiniest bit of it. For all essential purposes I am convinced there is no creator/overseer being or beings.
    You are free to do that.

My position is:

It is not possible to establish that at least one god exists using logic, reason, science, or math.

It is not possible to establish that it is more likely that at least one god exists than that no gods exist using logic, reason, science, or math.

It is not possible to establish that no gods exist using logic, reason, science, or math.

It is not possible to establish that it is more likely that no gods exist than that at least one god exists using logic, reason, science, or math.

Although it was very interesting reading Van Daniken's 'Chariots Of The Gods.'
    Never read it.

11. #325 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

I think you are talking about a different subject.. Jewish men often had foreign wives up to Ezra and their children were Jewish...
    You may be on a different topic, me not so much. Point was who is a Jew. Orthodox Jews, and the Torah, have determined the genealogy to be through the woman since the time of Abraham from whom all Jews count their inheritance. Has nothing to do with Ezra.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

12. #326 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is the way Jews have believed since Ezra 10.. If you were correct, Solomon and David would NOT have been Jews.

Go fuck yourself, Kudzu.

Do a good job of it. You need it!

13. #327 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    You may be on a different topic, me not so much. Point was who is a Jew. Orthodox Jews, and the Torah, have determined the genealogy to be through the woman since the time of Abraham from whom all Jews count their inheritance. Has nothing to do with Ezra.
    If you were correct, neither David nor Solomon would have been Jews.

14. #328 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    but that's exactly what you did, isn't it?........
    No! I couldn't give a shit about you personally!

15. #329 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

If you were correct, neither David nor Solomon would have been Jews.
    You really are deeply involved in your false religion. Now you are saying Matthew, and Luke, were both liars.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

16. #330 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Frank,

Thanks for sharing your views on religion. Makes sense to me.

Never read it. [Chariots Of The Gods]
    It is an examination of artifacts drawings and structures from antiquity which suggests humans have been visited in the past by beings from another world. There are cave drawings of what look like a man with a space helmet. There are massive signs dug/etched into the landscape which are really only visible from great altitude, suggesting markers for flying visitors to identify an approach. These markings/etchings/diggings were done long before humans learned to fly. These phenomena suggest that Earth has been visited in the past by beings from another world. The author, Van Daniken, muses that human religions may have been influenced by such visits, thought of these visitors as gods (which is inherently logical, given their level of technology) and that may have led to a belief that the gods are up above.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.